What's new

Snowball

TRINDU

PBB Orphan
Member Number
Loc
Central TX
'Cause everything new sucks and isn't worth owning...

This 1996 Dodge belonged to a childhood friend's father, I remember riding in it when I was a kid. Around 2008 he parked it in his barn when he bought a new truck. Unfortunately, a friend of mine (we'll call him goober) bought it last year when they moved but I was able to buy it from him this past week. It came with a box of receipts since new, invoice, sticker, TDR magazines, etc. This is the cleanest 2nd gen I've ever put my hands on.

20220411_181518.jpg

Now its might turn to actually bring it back to life. Goober maybe put 50 miles on it, rebuilt the rear brakes, tires, batteries, a/c, etc to get it going.

The front brakes and/or UBs are shot so it's all getting thrown away. I've decided on 97 F350 outers, and mopar 08-10 steering.

20220406_153902.jpg

Transmission shifts fine, but looks like a rear seal leak. At least that all I'm hoping it is. I'll reseal the 241 when I pull it as well.

20220408_153820.jpg

Otherwise itll clean up nice. The interior needs a deep clean but in great condition. Even the bed still looks new under the drop inner.

20220411_181655.jpg

20220411_181603.jpg

Last edited:
The paint is still good minus the coon/cat the climbed up on the hood while it was in a barn. Suggestions on a good buffer and compound. I just rubbed some by hand and took 80% out pretty easy.

20220411_190855.jpg

I hate the ching chong 285 mud terrains and will order a set 0f 255/85R16 KM3s. I wanted to go 00-02 aluminium but heard they all suffer from cracking.

20220411_191108.jpg

Last edited:
I have no intentions of modding, or taking away from a clean truck unless warranted. I need to address the KDP, so at that time I may advance the timing. But have no real desire to fool with the pump otherwise.

I'm all ears if you have a "you need to do this while you're in there" suggestion.

I cant find one upgrade for F350 brakes. Going to experiment with using 99-02 dodge brakes for slip on.

Last edited:
If you're upgrading the brakes anyway, you might look into the booster. IIRC, '96 had a vacuum booster run off a vacuum pump. I know '97 had hydroboost. Look into the rear height-sensitive proportioning valve, too. I think they were known to cause/have issues.

Pete

I have no intentions of modding, or taking away from a clean truck unless warranted. I need to address the KDP, so at that time I may advance the timing. But have no real desire to fool with the pump otherwise.

I'm all ears if you have a "you need to do this while you're in there" suggestion.

I cant find one upgrade for F350 brakes. Going to experiment with using 99-02 dodge brakes for slip on.
IIRC the later 2nd Gen slip on rotor/hub assembly brakes are not backwards compatible to the '96 axle.

Upgrade to a 3rd Gen style track bar. Ball joints and tie-rod ends are probably needing replacement.

Replace the 25 y/o headlights so you can sort of see the road. The headlight switch on my dad's '96 had to be replaced - they basically melt.

Replace the drivers seat base - Geno's Garage has the foam.

Looks like it's just getting factory '97 Ford brakes. Still ought to be an improvement over stock.

What's the 'best' KDP kit?

Just make a tab out of scrap. Probably want to get the gasket kit with the crankshaft seal I've had good luck with felpro stuff.

Might want to do oil pump and water pump while you have it apart they are cheap enough.

Just make a tab out of scrap. Probably want to get the gasket kit with the crankshaft seal I've had good luck with felpro stuff.

Might want to do oil pump and water pump while you have it apart they are cheap enough.
thats what i did

I forget exactly what rubs, but the 98+ alloys take some grinding to fit earlier trucks, I think it's the drum od, the alloys went with the later rear discs

No way you're happy driving a stock 190hp 12V. Look at the afcLive unit. It basically replaces the fuel plate and is tunable from the cab. I'd also do 4k gov springs so that its not cutting fuel starting at like 2100rpm.

And mud terrains on a tow rig are dumb. Put a good all terrain on it.

No way you're happy driving a stock 190hp 12V. Look at the afcLive unit.
Dunno, I bought a cherry 2wd version of his truck, as a backup for my manual trans truck, I turned up the pump, took it for a test drive, launched great, but either the 1-2 or 2-3 shift flared bad enough I turned around and put it back to stock and left it there:laughing:

Why would you replace garbage steering with newer garbage steering? Wasn't there a recall around 2010 for TREs snapping while driving down the road? :laughing:

In the desert maybe. Frame splice rusts out everywhere else.

Desert? Did you not see the green grass in the pic :flipoff2:There's no a speck of rust on the entire truck.

No way you're happy driving a stock 190hp 12V. Look at the afcLive unit. It basically replaces the fuel plate and is tunable from the cab. I'd also do 4k gov springs so that its not cutting fuel starting at like 2100rpm.

I'm perfectly happy, I have a fleet to satisfy my kicks. I'll old man the fuck out of it, camper and all. Gov springs are on the list though.

There's not a A/T I'm in love with. I've had really good luck with KMs in the past and want the pizza cutters. All the same index more or less.

Nice truck :smokin:

My dad had a 97 single cab Cummins.

Thanks, it's a truck that's been on my list. I overpaid, but I know the history from day one and itll clean up great.

Why would you replace garbage steering with newer garbage steering? Wasn't there a recall around 2010 for TREs snapping while driving down the road? :laughing:

Going from inverted Y to T. The 08.5+ was the solution, I've had good luck in the past but not married to the idea.

The 98-99HD is also T, but more expensive. It's all the same size TRE from what I can tell.

Last edited:

some of us have tow rigs that get used offroad in the winter and you need a mud terrain, not everyone is just trying to look cool by having them :laughing::flipoff2:

What's the steering upgrade? My shit, with less than 1K since new, is already clunking.

What's the steering upgrade? My shit, with less than 1K since new, is already clunking.
For what truck? For an early 2nd Gen Dodge, it's to replace the inverted Y with the inverted T setup from a '98-'99, and replace the track bar with a 3rd gen track bar (which requires an aftermarket mount).

Pete

For what truck? For an early 2nd Gen Dodge, it's to replace the inverted Y with the inverted T setup from a '98-'99, and replace the track bar with a 3rd gen track bar (which requires an aftermarket mount).

Pete

Yep. Or the 08.5+ but the pitman needs to be tapered. Apparently a 01.5-02 pitman works with the 08.5

Bought a set of 3rd gen alloys today. If I stick with my original plan, 255/85R16 KM3 are $265ea... 255/80R17 are $320 :eek:

But damn they look so much better.

20220419_172648.jpg

Last edited:
I ordered the 98-99 HD steering components. As an experiment, I ordered the rockauto "ultra power" which is just reboxed overstock. I got brands I never heard of, carquest, and moog. It's all China and I cant tell any difference 🙄

20220425_155316.jpg

I wouldn't want km3s on a heavy truck, BFGs wear too fast on diesels.

Those skinny tires are going to look gas as shit in 8" wide wheels also. Just do 285s or 295s, much better for towing or not sinking in mud anyway.

I wouldn't want km3s on a heavy truck, BFGs wear too fast on diesels.

Those skinny tires are going to look gas as shit in 8" wide wheels also. Just do 285s or 295s, much better for towing or not sinking in mud anyway.

Well, the 255 BFG are discontinued in the 17 flavor, and I'm committed to the 3rd gen alloys. Not a fan of other 255 offerings in brand or price. I like pizza cutters, but...

I'm going with 285 Michelin AT2s. This truck wont tow heavy, I have 3 other truck to use before that. Car/truck/tractor on a BP at best. The 'mud' here is black clay. There's no driving after it rains unless you want to sink it to the axles.

Stance, you need stance bro…

:flipoff2:

Most of the guys around here running M/Ts on diesels seem to have good luck with Toyos. They are heavy, but hold up to caliche and pulling loaded nurse tanks. I’ve found an aggressive A/T or whatever they’re called to be a good compromise.

Stance, you need stance bro…

:flipoff2:

Most of the guys around here running M/Ts on diesels seem to have good luck with Toyos. They are heavy, but hold up to caliche and pulling loaded nurse tanks. I’ve found an aggressive A/T or whatever they’re called to be a good compromise.

The toyo M/Ts are too expensive for this ol' boy. Tire prices are already a shock.

Although, carli rear packs and thuren XS coils do look appealing.

Finally got the other trucks out of the way and tearing down the front end tomorrow.

And waiting on more parts to show up. Going to be a busy around here the next couple days.

Screenshot_20220428-184800_Gallery.jpg

Already had a couple people stop by and ask if I'd sell it, along with my dad wondering "how much can I get for mine and just drive that one"

Everyone on my clean 12 valve koolaid :smokin:

Top Back Refresh