What's new

Alignment issue

Socsmm6

Member Number
Put portals on my 64” x3 xrc. Got a few rides in on them and seem to be doing good. I noticed both the rear tires are toe in. Im still running factory radius rods and trailing arms.
Trying to figure out whats causing it. Radius rods seem to be in good shape, mounting points are tight. No adjustments on them.
Cant find any wrinkled powder coat on the trailing arms showing they may be bent. There are a couple of dimples at the same place on both.
Thinking the portals could be causing it, just never noticed it before.
Any ideas?

all x3 with stock rods that i've seen toe in over time. at least in my experiance.

where the toe rod, middle one, bolts to the knouckle is also a weak spot that develops slop. i drilled mine out bigger and used hardware that created a tighter fit and didn't have any bolt threads in the knuckle. i'm really had on the machine and its working great now. there is also a possibility of slop at the vehicle end on the rods. i plan to weld nuts in this area when mine gets loose.

with the extra stress of the portals youd be money ahead getting a good set of radious rods and making sure the toe rod hasn't wallerd out the bolt area. stock the bolt threads are in the knuckle making it not a very tight fit and it only gets worse over time. the mounting may appear to be tight but i assure you its not tight, if it were you wouldn't be having the toe in condition.

i dont imagine your going too fast with portals, i mostly run fast in sand and a set of adjustable radius rods, and improved mounting location, along with a proper alignment make a huge difference in the car. well worth taking care of it.

also, you dont have to spend a bunch of money on parts, i made my radious rodious rods and fixed the toe slop in an afternoon and only bought a couple heims and a length of tube. made the top 2 adjustable on one end and the bottom fixed length. at first i just cut the ends off the stock rods and used tube that had an ID same as stock rods OD. even doing that was a big improvement. the stock bars are incredibly thin, just your body weight standing on one will bend it.

Last edited:
It really looks like the center radius rod bracket at the portal was welded on in the wrong place on the backing plate. May need to cut it loose and move it out towards the tire. That should help the toe in.
The backing plate takes the place of the knuckle when you run portals.

It really looks like the center radius rod bracket at the portal was welded on in the wrong place on the backing plate. May need to cut it loose and move it out towards the tire. That should help the toe in.
The backing plate takes the place of the knuckle when you run portals.

hmm, yeah i've never actually seen a can am on portals in person.

in any case , the stock radius rods aren't beefy enough for even stock tires... they need to be replaced, especially withthe added stress of portals.

your not saving any money using the stock stuff, when they fail there is a high probability that it will cause other dammage and cost allot more.

i know the typical crap they say to replace on day 1 with an x3, in my opinion the top 2 are radius rods and ball joints. all the other 'need to upgrade' stuff can be done as/ when needed, but radious rods and balljoints destroy the higher $ parts when they go.
for example whe a r rod goes your likly to take out the rest of them and an axle, maybe more. when a baljoint goes it folds the front end up and con often be enought to total a machine, at the very least it will take out an a arm and some body work as well.

you've added alot of stress to a stock design that is crazy light weight for what its capable of. refusing to, at the bare minimum, address the added stress of the portals... is a very bad decission that will cost your more than the price of the portals very quick.

my machine is a 64" turbo r, and i go low budget, but i aint dumb.

hmm, yeah i've never actually seen a can am on portals in person.

in any case , the stock radius rods aren't beefy enough for even stock tires... they need to be replaced, especially withthe added stress of portals.

your not saving any money using the stock stuff, when they fail there is a high probability that it will cause other dammage and cost allot more.

i know the typical crap they say to replace on day 1 with an x3, in my opinion the top 2 are radius rods and ball joints. all the other 'need to upgrade' stuff can be done as/ when needed, but radious rods and balljoints destroy the higher $ parts when they go.
for example whe a r rod goes your likly to take out the rest of them and an axle, maybe more. when a baljoint goes it folds the front end up and con often be enought to total a machine, at the very least it will take out an a arm and some body work as well.

you've added alot of stress to a stock design that is crazy light weight for what its capable of. refusing to, at the bare minimum, address the added stress of the portals... is a very bad decission that will cost your more than the price of the portals very quick.

my machine is a 64" turbo r, and i go low budget, but i aint dumb.
We stay in the rocks 75% of the time when we ride. No high speed at all.
Im working on upgrading parts. Replaced a arms and ball joints already. Radius rods are next. The xrc radius rods are supposed to be stronger than the other models. Not sure how much stronger. Lol
I will replace the trailing arms after that with some high clearance. They are taking a beating now. If it wasnt for the guards on the trailing arms i figure they would have folded already.
Guy i ride with has a rzr turbo. He trashed his radius rods about the 2nd ride, got an a arm about the 4 or 5th ride. Just replaced his trailing arms because they were both bent. He has yet to break an axle in it. I have snapped 4 axles in my x3 so far but none of the suspension parts. Lol

Figured out what the problem was. Bracket that was welded to the backing plate was in the wrong place. Looks like they were made for adjustable radius rods. Moved the bracket over. Of course the whole it lines up with was in the wrong place too. Had to cut it out and move it. Should have just bought new radius rods. Real pia!

Top Back Refresh