What's new

AK build questions...

Gatorgrizz27

Member Number
I’ve been wanting an AK for no particular reason, and tend to do just enough research to get myself into trouble. These are some of the only parts kits I’ve seen in stock, and the reviews claim they are in really good condition.

https://palmettostatearmory.com/yugo...-receiver.html

From what I’ve seen so far, it looks like the only other parts needed are a barrel and receiver. Is this correct, and what specialty tools/fixtures are required? I’m also not a big fan of the underfolder stocks, I assume a standard receiver would allow another type of stock to be fitted to it?

I’ve been wanting an AK for no particular reason, and tend to do just enough research to get myself into trouble. These are some of the only parts kits I’ve seen in stock, and the reviews claim they are in really good condition.

https://palmettostatearmory.com/yugo...-receiver.html

From what I’ve seen so far, it looks like the only other parts needed are a barrel and receiver. Is this correct, and what specialty tools/fixtures are required? I’m also not a big fan of the underfolder stocks, I assume a standard receiver would allow another type of stock to be fitted to it?

Yugos generally had bad barrels to start with so having to replace the barrel is not terrible. You will have to press the barrel into the trunnion. You will need to set rivets in several areas or do a screw build. Go-NoGO gauges as well. You will need a Yugo specific receiver. I think that kit is the thicker 1.5mm sheet steel.

Doc did a tutorial at the other place. The jigs turn up from time to time as people finish building kits and move on to other projects. Depending on what you have at home you may be able to McGyver your way through one build. Any more and it probably makes sense to get serious with the jigs.

IIRC there may be a different slant to the rear of the trunnion depending on make and model. And there are a lot of them. Mine were Romanian and are different in a couple ways. It's been over a decade since I build mine so I'm a bit fuzzy on the details.

I wanted an underfolder truck gun, had a fixed stock Romanian build, so I took the fixed stock off and fabricobbled the underfolder trunion into the back end to get my underfolder. If you order a flat or receiver specific to the underfolder, it'll have different holes than a fixed stock build. It's easier to add holes to put an underfolder onto something that was fixed, than to retro a fixed stock onto a folder receiver. I'd suggest just ordering your flat or finished receiver for what you want, you can buy a fixed stock tang for cheap, and if you look around can probably scavenge a factory wood stock for free or nearly so (or get a US one as one of your 922r compliance parts).

I have the typical “PBB” tools available. 20 ton press, welders, grinders, belt/disc sanders, drill press, and a bunch of different bearing puller fixtures, but no lathe or mill any more.

I don’t see any reason to build it from a flat, I’d go with either a complete receiver or an 80%. I’m in a free state and my FFL is borderline “right wing extremist” so I’d expect their records to mysteriously catch on fire in the event of a confiscation, but having an 80% wouldn’t hurt.

The recommended tools list is a bit daunting, one guy did a spreadsheet where he spent $900 on AK parts and then $1,050 on tools. :laughing:

I’m not interested in doing a hack job screw build, but I’m wondering if there’s a way to do it properly by making a few quick tools or using sockets, etc instead of the specialty stuff.

With so many varieties of AK’s, I’m somewhat worried about parts not fitting properly. Stuff like “almost every AK uses a 25mm trunnion, except for the kit you bought which is 27mm. All the barrels still make are 25mm, so good luck!”

I also don’t have a huge desire to build one just as a hobby/project, it’s a way to get a quality AK for under $900. These barreled receivers are already assembled for the price of those two parts, I assume buying a complete parts kit like I already posted would be the best way to complete one? I’d imagine finding all the correct small parts would be a pain one at a time.

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/870741276

Last edited:
I have the typical “PBB” tools available. 20 ton press, welders, grinders, belt/disc sanders, drill press, and a bunch of different bearing puller fixtures, but no lathe or mill any more.

I’m not interested in doing a hack job screw build, but I’m wondering if there’s a way to do it properly by making a few quick tools or using sockets, etc instead of the specialty stuff.

With so many varieties of AK’s, I’m somewhat worried about parts not fitting properly. Stuff like “almost every AK uses a 25mm trunnion, except for the kit you bought which is 27mm. All the barrels still make are 25mm, so good luck!”

I also don’t have a huge desire to build one just as a hobby/project, it’s a way to get a quality AK for under $900. These barreled receivers are already assembled for the price of those two parts, I assume buying a complete parts kit like I already posted would be the best way to complete one? I’d imagine finding all the correct small parts would be a pain one at a time.

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/870741276

I'd get a headspaced kit from AoA and a rivet kit from Akbuilder. You can absolutely build one with no specialty tools, my first build ever was done with home made stuff and a piece of 4140 sheetmetal. (mostly because this was 15 years before AK builder was around)

Top Back Refresh