What's new

AK best to worst.

The main thing keeping me away from any AK is the complete shit show in the ergonomics, coupled with the fact that it was designed for someone about 5'2" tall.
When I mounted the Strikefire, I knew something was off. My 103 butt stock had a weird downward swoop and looked like it was made for a kid. My son ordered some Magpul furniture for Fathers day but didn't get it until a few days ago. The butt stock was more grown up looking and was straight instead of the downward swoop. Now when I mount the gun, my Holosun reticle is right in the middle of the window and I don't have to break my cheek weld to center it up. The fore stock is a lot beefier too and feels a lot better in my hand. So yeah, my 103 was not made for a normal sized human.

I just kinda resent that they call it a 103 but it doesn't have the proper side folder trunnion

I have many $4-500 AR's with more than 5k down the tube. Replace the barrel every 10-20k rounds and you're good to go.

One of the machine gun ranges kept track of round count. The AK's were beat, stretched, cracked, etc by 100k rounds. They had AR's over 250k, still working. They did have to put kns anti-rotation trigger pins in to keep the pins from falling out around 150k rounds. :laughing:

The AK works generally. It's not magic and still takes maintenance and replacement parts or it will stop working.

The main thing keeping me away from any AK is the complete shit show in the ergonomics, coupled with the fact that it was designed for someone about 5'2" tall.

That's really interesting about range guns, I'd be curious to see what the guns were and what ammo was ran though them. Factory AK's are all so over-gassed that I could see a full auto range gun beating itself to death. A KNS gas piston is a godsend to solve that.

I was just thinking about pricing these days as I haven't rifle shopped in a couple years... I checked a couple big online sellers, looks like the cheapest decent AR that's available is about $620 (Poverty Pony Anderson) and the cheapest maybe decent AK is about $750 (Possibly Assembled By Drunk Monkeys Century). Couple that with current ammo price and availability (same $/rd, more 5.56 on the market) and I honestly couldn't recommend the AK platform over an AR these days if someone had budget as their main priority.

Ergos are what they are, but even with long arms I run short LOP on everything for a square stance. An AK triangle folder is perfect for me. I wear gloves when running an AK because I've ripped thumbnails apart in the past during drills. Can't say that ever happened in my M16/M4 days.

Wood furniture is best furniture. :flipoff2:

Good thing it was designed for malnourished peasants because even with a fixed stock the damn thing is still small enough to be handy.

Top Back Refresh