What's new

Air rifles?

larboc

Limestone cowboy
Member Number
Loc
Da yoop
With all the nonsense going on, I've been thinking about how the gun is actually about the simplest part of a firearm. If the crown really wanted to put the hurt on gun owners they'll go for ammo, then primers and powder. I don't see how an individual can really hedge against this. Lead can be scrounged and has an infinite shelf life so bullets can be made.
Seems like it would be a good idea to have some air rifles, more serious than a bb gun. With the ammo shortages now it also doesn't sound fun to just go target shoot, but it would with a decent air rifle I think.
Recommendations? Does a rifle exist that would be accurate enough to target shoot at 100+yards?

Off the shelf air rifles from places like cabelas and bass pro are pretty impressive.

Shooting a pellet at 1200fps or higher is more velocity than a 22LR, Yes it should make 100 yards (pellet) with accuracy.

There are even competitions set at 100 yards for pellet rifles with scopes.

They are as loud or louder than 22LR

Some even come with silencers.

I haven't gotten into it, but thought the same thing and read on them some, amazing what is out there, be nice to have one for squirrels and such.

Been improving my bow skills instead, it is quieter.

CA already went after ammo. No online ammo sales, background check required for purchase, non lead ammo required for all forms of hunting. Arent we fucking safe now.

Air rifles are so far exempt from lead ammo restriction for hunting here.

Yes air rifles are accurate past 100 yards. There are some super trick air rifles out there that can reach out pretty dang far and still have tight grouping. These are not daisy bb guns. I have a "nitro piston" benjamin 22 cal pellet gun is supersonic out the muzzle and it will shoot over 100 yards but its sweet spot is about 75 yards. I think i picked it up for about $250 and put a decent scope on it.

The badass ones are the PCP guns - pre charged pneumatic. Basically fires off a tiny scuba tank, charge pressure is around 2,500 PSI. I didnt go that route because I dont want to deal with having a compressor or having to get the tank 'hydro tested' or any of that shit. I just want to grab it and go shoot. But if I had more time and $ I would get an airforce condor and a couple extra tanks.

check out https://www.pyramydair.com/ they have a whole yoo toob series talking about all the different types of guns, advantages, etc.

I've been passively thinking about one since seeing this video cause it just looks like fun.

You think rats are fun? Feral cats are the ticket. We used to try to fill up a dumpster every weekend. :laughing:

You think rats are fun? Feral cats are the ticket. We used to try to fill up a dumpster every weekend. :laughing:

Holy shit you had a problem...

With feral cats I assume that you hunted in different locations? I used to live at the end of a road out in the country and people would drop off their un wanted animals but we never had that many.

Click image for larger version Name:	251ABEFF-EA85-4382-9BB5-EAABB217E24B.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	86.8 KB ID:	202460
PCP for the win. Stupid accurate and fun !
Furthest to date, I’ve laid out a bird is 68.7 yards. Sent plenty to 75-100 when first got it.

Check out the YouTube channel “Air gun exploration and advancement” .. he shoots 50 and 100 yards on all.
Also “Air Arms hunting SA” Dude hammers ton of shit from baboons to birds..
“ Teds Hold Over “ as well.

https://youtube.com/c/AirgunExplorat...ALMAHVoTC9M%3D

https://youtube.com/c/AirArmsHunting...--MHHUYKC7g%3D

https://youtube.com/c/TedsHoldOver/...itct=CBIQ8JMBGAEiEwiirNiQ14_tAhU_0uMHHUoAB2M=

Last edited:
Holy shit you had a problem...

With feral cats I assume that you hunted in different locations? I used to live at the end of a road out in the country and people would drop off their un wanted animals but we never had that many.

No. Military base on Oahu. Hundreds of diseased mange ridden shit rats wandering around night. We got tired of them pissing and shitting in cars and spraying them. We asked the base to do something about the problem multiple times. They didn’t even go as far as sending out a letter telling people to keep their animals indoors. We took matters into our own hands. We started baiting them with buttermilk dipping sauce from Jack in the Box. We routinely killed 10 to 15 cats every weekend.

Last edited:
the precharged guns in 22 and 25 are approaching full .22lr power.

but the problem is you've got to pump it a million times to charge it or you have to buy a pump. or make one.

Someone on the old osr site made one.

the precharged guns in 22 and 25 are approaching full .22lr power.

but the problem is you've got to pump it a million times to charge it or you have to buy a pump. or make one.

Someone on the old osr site made one.

I have several PCP air guns. No compressor, no pumping. I run SCBA tanks that a buddy with a medical gas company fills for me free. I have 10 45 minute carbon fiber tanks and run a two tank cascade. My favorite gun is the Daystate Wolverine II in .30 cal. I shoot semi-close to others in the neighborhood so I keep the speed subsonic to keep the noise down.

The biggest problem to deal with as the bore size and pellet weight go up is how much air volume it takes for each shot. I haven't looked into it for a year or so but the 50 cal stuff was only getting one or two shots per charge. I get about 15 out of the .30 before the speed and accuracy suffer.

In order I purchased them
Stoeger x20 .22 break barrel with centerpoint 2-16x40
Benjamin marauder gen 2 .25 with centerpoint 4-20x50
Benjamin bulldog .357 with centerpoint 4-20x50
Airforce TalonP.25 with centerpoint 4-20x50
Airams SK-19 .25 with Vortex Tactical 6-24x50

My favorite by a long shot is the sk-19, stupid accurate and semi auto. It fills at 3500 PSI and I get 19 shots and stay in the safe zone as airarms calls it. they came out with a .30 so its on my list but cant justify it for my ground squirrel shooting. the .25 does it great already.

Off the shelf air rifles from places like cabelas and bass pro are pretty impressive.

Shooting a pellet at 1200fps or higher is more velocity than a 22LR, Yes it should make 100 yards (pellet) with accuracy.

I haven't gotten into it, but thought the same thing and read on them some, amazing what is out there, be nice to have one for squirrels and such.

I’m with this guy.

No one took a history class? Lewis and Clark took Girandoni air rifles on their expedition west.

I guess if your only frame of reference is the Rough Rider from A Christmas Story, I could see how you could be surprised, but high power, large bore, air rifles ain't a new thing.

Click image for larger version Name:	251ABEFF-EA85-4382-9BB5-EAABB217E24B.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	86.8 KB ID:	202460
PCP for the win. Stupid accurate and fun !
Furthest to date, I’ve laid out a bird is 68.7 yards. Sent plenty to 75-100 when first got it.

Check out the YouTube channel “Air gun exploration and advancement” .. he shoots 50 and 100 yards on all.
Also “Air Arms hunting SA” Dude hammers ton of shit from baboons to birds..
“ Teds Hold Over “ as well.

https://youtube.com/c/AirgunExplorat...ALMAHVoTC9M%3D

https://youtube.com/c/AirArmsHunting...--MHHUYKC7g%3D

https://youtube.com/c/TedsHoldOver/videos?disable_polymer=true&itct=CBIQ8JMBGAEiEwiirNiQ14_tAhU_0uMHHUoAB2M=
I have a family member that got something like that
it is absolutely stupid accurate, albeit it is pretty tricked out. My 12y/o daughter can keep it within a 1" circle at 50 yards.

He put the 30cal barrel and he says its even more accurater if that is a word.

I witnessed him hit a 1/4" target at 50 yards, but shooting is his sport

its quiet too.

the shelf air rifles from places like cabelas and bass pro are pretty impressive.

You would think that, but in reality it’s not that simple.

Those tiny lil pellets weigh next to nothing and lose velocity in a relatively short distance.

1200fps equates to iirc 761fps(speed of sound) somewhere between 35 and 55yrds depending on pellet weight.

When that transition happens the (supersonic) shockwave collapses and hits the tail of the pellet and can/does/will destabilize it changing its trajectory.

Since just how the shockwave will collapse will vary there’s no way to predict what effect it will have on poa/poi.

Pumps, springers and pre charged pneumatics. Pumps are old school that work fine , think Sheriden or Benjamin but are comparatively slow. Springers are available everywhere for cheap, but hell on scopes and tend to be loud due to higher velocity depending on model. You can shoot heavier pellets to slow them down a bit or go .22 to mitigate noise. PCP's are backyard assassins but spendy.

Still an advocate for the PCP’s, if you’re going to do it.
Pre ordered the new FX Impact M3 the day they announced em dropping few weeks back.
.22 cal w/ 700mm barrel.
Will be shooting 26gr and 34/38gr slugs 99% of the time out it.

46A35624-FD15-4DA4-8584-24AD1332C6D8.jpeg

Still an advocate for the PCP’s, if you’re going to do it.
Pre ordered the new FX Impact M3 the day they announced em dropping few weeks back.
.22 cal w/ 700mm barrel.
Will be shooting 26gr and 34/38gr slugs 99% of the time out it.

46A35624-FD15-4DA4-8584-24AD1332C6D8.jpeg
That is sweet, but $2K?

Fuuuck me!

Top Back Refresh