What's new

Air compressor

AKnate

Icehole
Member Number
Ended up with a Champion compressor, R40 pump and allegedly bad 15hp motor.

Also have a homebuilt compressor with R15 pump and 5 hp motor, on a 70yr old tank that has been welded on several times (junk in my opinion)

Trying to figure if the 5hp motor might have enough ass to run the R40 pump.

15hp motor has a 9" pulley, pump has 22"

5hp is a 6"

Math works to about 650rpm orginal and about 475 with smaller pulley.

Outfit that had the compressor taped a paper on the tank saying it'll run on 10hp. Not sure how they figured that though... pulley reduction?

Best I can figure.... (online specs arent clear)
R15 is about 20cfm 200lbs
R40 is about 55cfm 450lbs

20cfm would be ok for most things, but 55 would handle a sandblaster much better.

Or.... good source for a 10hp single phase? If that's a thing even?
20240712_101126.jpg
20240712_101117.jpg
20240712_101040.jpg
20240712_101031.jpg
20240712_101020.jpg
20240711_151337.jpg

20cfm is a lot of air

You can use the 5hp just expect a loss of cfm and more running time once youve knocked the pully down enough to move it.

20cfm is a lot of air

You can use the 5hp just expect a loss of cfm and more running time once youve knocked the pully down enough to move it.
Ok for general use. Sandblasting would be marginal.

Would need a some fab and plumbing to make the r15 pump go in place, reason id like to keep the r40. It's already setup with cooling fin lines and a big cooler the pulley blows on.

I have maybe $200 between both setups. Paid $105 for the green and maybe $80-100 (forget exactly) for rusty.

OK... I wouldn't run the R40 on anything that wont do 75% of rated RPM, and I don't think you are gonna get a 5 HP to run at that speed and last.

The R40 is a pressurized oiling system and if it is a vane style pump it needs the RPM to build enough pressure to properly oil the mains (and I think the unloader release)

i would either find a motor that can run at full speed and de-rate the PSI (max 150?) so it doesn't have to be a full 15HP. Do you need 450 PSI?

YMMV

OK... I wouldn't run the R40 on anything that wont do 75% of rated RPM, and I don't think you are gonna get a 5 HP to run at that speed and last.

The R40 is a pressurized oiling system and if it is a vane style pump it needs the RPM to build enough pressure to properly oil the mains (and I think the unloader release)

i would either find a motor that can run at full speed and de-rate the PSI (max 150?) so it doesn't have to be a full 15HP. Do you need 450 PSI?

YMMV

Some of my tires take ~120. Between cycle switch, pressure loss. Etc needs to be a bit above at least.

Min rpm is 440 i think. But was both are splash lube

Looking for a 10+ hp 240v single phase motor and nit finding much.
Found some 7.5hp.

Talked with a motor shop in Anchorage, they said the could take a look at the motor for $120.

Going to research and see if maybe I can test anything with a multimeter to see.
Shop said if the windings are bad, it's not worth repairing.

Seems like 10hp is max for single to 3 phase converter.

Looking for a 10+ hp 240v single phase motor and nit finding much.
Found some 7.5hp.
Yeah I saw that sign and rolled my eyes. I'm pretty sure 7.5hp is where they top out.

You must not have tried very hard.

I mean, they're going to be $$ and not something you're likely to find a deal on used since they're not very common....especially in AK. But the WEG is right around a grand, which in the long run isn't that horrible if you can convert a dirt cheap compressor that nobody wants to fuck with because it's 3 phase.

You must not have tried very hard.

I mean, they're going to be $$ and not something you're likely to find a deal on used since they're not very common....especially in AK. But the WEG is right around a grand, which in the long run isn't that horrible if you can convert a dirt cheap compressor that nobody wants to fuck with because it's 3 phase.
Interesting. I looked casually a few years back but everything seemed to top out at 7.5.

Interesting. I looked casually a few years back but everything seemed to top out at 7.5.

Way more common. Not sure I've ever actually seen a single phase 10hp in the wild, but they exist.

I'd be much more inclined to throw an ebay VFD at it and hope for the best.

The retard in me wants to know how long this would last.
1720890835852.png

Problem I've run in to with a lot of the larger cheap VFDs is the terminals are never big enough for the wires it should take to actually feed them. Assuming a short enough run, #8 should work for that. I've run 8 to one, but had to get creative with spade connectors.

The retard in me wants to know how long this would last.
1720890835852.png

Problem I've run in to with a lot of the larger cheap VFDs is the terminals are never big enough for the wires it should take to actually feed them. Assuming a short enough run, #8 should work for that. I've run 8 to one, but had to get creative with spade connectors.

Cool concept, but fuckin' $30 apiece x 3 or 4. I may be retarded, but I'm also stupid and cheap. :flipoff2:

You'd likely need to go down to 10 to have a chance of getting terminals that will fit.

Cool concept, but fuckin' $30 apiece x 3 or 4. I may be retarded, but I'm also stupid and cheap. :flipoff2:

You'd likely need to go down to 10 to have a chance of getting terminals that will fit.
Those were just the first ones that I found. You might be able to find some cheaper and they might even have looser barrels.

Doing some searching this morning and found a couple 10hp 240v single phase motors.
Not sure I want to spend $1500-2k for a motor though.

Doing some searching this morning and found a couple 10hp 240v single phase motors.
Not sure I want to spend $1500-2k for a motor though.
3 posts above yours I posted one for a grand. :confused:

Use stranded wire, and cut a couple of the strands. A real expert would hide the cuts on the back side.

Way more common. Not sure I've ever actually seen a single phase 10hp in the wild, but they exist.

I'd be much more inclined to throw an ebay VFD at it and hope for the best.
I've seen a 15hp
it was on a grain bin fan

Top Back Refresh