What's new

Aftermarket Seats - Do you get what you pay for?

Grnd93

The Dude
Member Number
Loc
Michigan
Our Mustang project needs some new seats. Rather than trying to get lucky in the junkyard or CL/Marketplace I think I am going to go with a new pair.

The car will be a weekend toy and may see some track time here and there (road course). So i am looking at getting something fairly comfortable that is going to be supportive.

Prices are all over the place. From $200ea on Ebay/Amazon to >$400ea for Corbeaus on a few different sites.

I tend to be thrifty (cheap) with most of my purchases where vehicles are concerned, but I also don't like to buy junk.

Should I just skip past the ebay offerings and pony up the cash for the Corbeaus or somehting comparable?

i think you do get what you pay for.

my PRP seats are the only automotive seat i've ever sat in that actually had my head land in a proper spot. Depends on what you are doing though, a stamped AL shell just might be the hot ticket.

Budget? I sell lots of PRP's, mostly to RZR people. People think PRP/other upper echelon seats are WAY more than a Corbeau, they really aren't. You probably missed some great Black Friday sales on them, but they didn't lower distributor pricing, they just did a MAP release.
What style of seat? likely not suspension?

Budget? I sell lots of PRP's, mostly to RZR people. People think PRP/other upper echelon seats are WAY more than a Corbeau, they really aren't. You probably missed some great Black Friday sales on them, but they didn't lower distributor pricing, they just did a MAP release.
What style of seat? likely not suspension?

Probably $800-$900 max. Even at that i am sure to get some grief from the wife.

The TMI (Pro Chicane) seats in the link I posted up above are the basic style I am looking for. Looking at the PRP site now and they all seem to be off-road oriented, unless I am missing something.

Never used cheap no name or knock off seats. I have used a handful of the big name brands and never hated any of them. I gotta say I’m really leaning towards loving PRP’s. If you can find seats that are a good fit to your body you can’t go wrong with Mastercraft, Corbeau, Sparko, PRP.

Only seats I’ve had that were uncomfortable were Corbeau’s but they were to small for my big frame. Can’t blame a bad fit on the seat manufacturer as much as the fabricator who chose them.

s-l640.jpg

https://www.ebay.com/i/182939800983?chn=ps&mkevt=1&mkcid=28

you could go full jdm drifty boi for like $800 :flipoff2:

im into weird shit, i kinda want these instead of prp's but these are a gamble on "comfort"

Bought Corbeau reclining seats. In less than a month, recline mechanism snapped when I was reaching for my wallet at a toll booth. Scared the crap outta me, couldve been a disaster. Didnt want the same thing to happen again, so had Corbeau replace them with fixed racing seats. Top of seat headrest only reaches to top of my shoulders, wtf I am 5'10. Will probably snap my head off if I get in an accident. Corbeau is junk IMO.

And here I am, thinking that Corbeau are cheap seats...

They are the cheapest. I just bought a set while hoping I am not throwing them out in a month.

:laughing: ive been eyeballing some prp's

corbeaus are the cheap seats

Even PRP aren't that great.

I have some brand new PRPs I just returned cause they weren't up to the quality I wanted. They are supposed to rebuild me some but I'm not holding my breath for a much better product. they will do the job just fine in my trail buggy, but they are far from being amazing IMO. PRP is the only suspension seat company that makes tall seats AFAIK so I'm kinda stuck with them.

The best seats I've ever put my ass on were some Sparco made out of carbon fiber, but I can't afford them. Around $2000 a piece.

Even PRP aren't that great.

I have some brand new PRPs I just returned cause they weren't up to the quality I wanted. They are supposed to rebuild me some but I'm not holding my breath for a much better product. they will do the job just fine in my trail buggy, but they are far from being amazing IMO. PRP is the only suspension seat company that makes tall seats AFAIK so I'm kinda stuck with them.

The best seats I've ever put my ass on were some Sparco made out of carbon fiber, but I can't afford them. Around $2000 a piece.

oof! dont say that, now i am actually thinking about getting those bride seats :laughing:

right?

you could go the dismantler route and get some cool modern seats out of a newer mustang or fiesta

i think subaru comes stock with "racey" seats

A wrecking yard is usually my first choice, but it’s always a crapshoot around here.

the likes the Bride’s. I’ll discuss with the CFO tonight. Luckily I get my Christmas bonus Friday.

oof! dont say that, now i am actually thinking about getting those bride seats :laughing:

I'll never put my ass in seats with an adjustable back seat. Def not safe enough IMO.

And cotch stuff sucks ass in an open vehicle (if that's what you're going to use them in).

I'll never put my ass in seats with an adjustable back seat. Def not safe enough IMO.

And cotch stuff sucks ass in an open vehicle (if that's what you're going to use them in).

ya im going from a bucket to a recliner, it going in your average built toyota 4runner interior cage with harnesses

all day in that bucket just wears me out

whats cotch??

I too am in the market for seats, and was eyeballing those brides. I'm cheaper than the op though

They are the cheapest. I just bought a set while hoping I am not throwing them out in a month.

I don't know. My wife bought me a set of Corbeau seats (recliners) about 8 years ago for our LJ. We've used the shit out of them, and use the recliner function constantly. The only issue I've had is the fabric on my driver seat is showing some wear where my fat ass keeps sliding in and out of the Jeep! YMMV

If you're interested in TMI's products PM me. I am their IT Manager. Though I just put in my notice hahaha. I can get you hooked up with sales manager to take care of you if you want.

PM coming. Much appreciated

We have used the hell outta the cloth prp’s I put in my crawler. They are pretty comfortable. Ordered new prp’s for our rzr for our Christmas present to each other. Hell I hope they are as comfortable. We ride for two hours with the stock ones and my back is killing me.

Twisted Stitch seats in my Willys, liked them so much I put them in my TJ as well. They are their "Apex" seats I think.

Full head rest and regular seat bottom in the TJ, and removable headrest on the Willys with a short seat bottom. Both very comfortable, I've driven across the country and back (literally) in both vehicles with those seats, absolutely comfortable. Sand/water drains, and heated pads.

I can't find their website anymore, have they gone out of business!? I hope not. They were very nice and helpful over the phone.

Before the Twisted Stitch seats, I had a cheaper corbeau in the TJ. Hated it, wasn't all that comfortable, and started falling apart after about 1 year of daily use. The Twisted Stitch seats have not shown any signs of coming apart after probably 6-8+ years now. (can't remember exactly when I got them)

Last edited:
Top Back Refresh