What's new

Aftermarket cage

Socsmm6

Member Number
Been looking at aftermarket cages for my x3. Most of what i have found is made out of 1.75x.095 dom. All i have ever used in the past was .120 wall on full sized rigs. Is this overkill for a sxs?

.120 wall is stupid overkill for a SxS cage on something that weights less than 2k lbs. If it's built right, AKA triangulation, .095 is fine.

Re-visting this post. The market on material is still nuts and I'm looking to build a new cage for my 2021 XXC Mav Sport; the stock one is paper thin formed tubing and has zero triangulation.

The above being said, I catch myself looking at 1.75 DOM .095 at $9.07 a foot (yikes) and ERW at $5.06 a foot. I have 1.5 sticks of 1.75x .120 DOM on hand already so I was thinking of making the main bars out of the 1.75 x .120 and the rest of the braces and diags that will be mostly compression / tension bars and not see hits out of the ERW... is this a sound state of mind for a machine that weighs 1800 lbs max loaded operating weight? I'll also be skinning the roof with heavy aluminum sheet which doesn't add a lot of strength but it may help distribute point loads during a roll.

I run a Cagewrx Baja Spec cage on my RZR. Very happy with it and it was pretty straight forward to put together. It doesn't look like they make one for your model Can Am though.

They do offer one for the X3 two seater though and it says it's all .095 1.75" DOM tubing. Cagewrx cage

LSK Suspension does list using 1.75 x .120" DOM for the main structure though. LSK cage

So it looks like you can do either. I would think that .120 will be overkill but you already have it. use the .120 DOM for the main hoop from A pillar connect up and over and down to the C pillar connect? that is the tube that is most likely to come in contact with trees or rocks in the event of rolling over.. At least that is my thinking. :confused:

I run a Cagewrx Baja Spec cage on my RZR. Very happy with it and it was pretty straight forward to put together. It doesn't look like they make one for your model Can Am though.

They do offer one for the X3 two seater though and it says it's all .095 1.75" DOM tubing. Cagewrx cage

LSK Suspension does list using 1.75 x .120" DOM for the main structure though. LSK cage

So it looks like you can do either. I would think that .120 will be overkill but you already have it. use the .120 DOM for the main hoop from A pillar connect up and over and down to the C pillar connect? that is the tube that is most likely to come in contact with trees or rocks in the event of rolling over.. At least that is my thinking. :confused:
I have the lsk cage. The main hoop is pieced together just in front of the b pillar. It is sleeved so it should be plenty strong. Its a bit of a pia to put together. I thought it was notched at all tube intersections to hold in place but it is only notched and tabbed at the rear cross bar. Everything snugs up to it.

i put a weldered.com kit on my 4 seat and it went together well. .120 wall for the main runs and .095 for the gussets. sleeved connection points.

really nice kit.

Weldered.com

Attachments

• 534EADC1-EE24-46F2-86E6-E9721FF42E3B.jpeg
    534EADC1-EE24-46F2-86E6-E9721FF42E3B.jpeg
    3 MB · Views: 49
  • 6B2D3A27-AD98-4DAB-819D-2FB7EFA2F235.jpeg
    6B2D3A27-AD98-4DAB-819D-2FB7EFA2F235.jpeg
    3.3 MB · Views: 46
I’ve done .120 mains or on the hard hit areas of a sxs. Do it. 090, 095 are all normal on them. 060 should be fine for short straight tubes.

Factory And frame is 050 mostly.

Thats who I originally wanted to go with. Told him what i wanted for roof and windshield bars and to send me a price. Never heard anything from him after that.
hes not too keen on putting the kits out there. i dont know why, but at that price, he cant be making too much money on them.

it took me several DMs to get a kit in the mail.

yeah, actually. that was all the aluminum i had in the garage.

have you priced that shit lately?
I haven't priced aluminum lately but I did price some 1/4 plate steel a couple weeks ago. :eek: almost $600 for a 4x8 sheet

I haven't priced aluminum lately but I did price some 1/4 plate steel a couple weeks ago. :eek: almost $600 for a 4x8 sheet
yeah, its about the same here.

the long story here is that those 4 pieces were diamond plate, and i ground them smooth... not my finest hour.

I have done a bunch 1.75ERW .095, all of them have been over a few times at minimum. Nothing has bent, crushed, or tweaked yet

Top Back Refresh