What's new

Affordable Metal Cutting Chop Saw & Notcher Recommendations…

That's what i have for metal cutting, along with multiple porta bands and grinders. This thing puts them all to shame, in both speed and accuracy. The only thing i don't like about it is the fence set screw is kind of fucked up, but i have a work around for it.
Yep. Anyone that thinks they will be standing around waiting on one of these to make a cut, has never seen one in action. I have the Fein Slugger 14" and it is probably one of the best metal cutting tools I have ever owned. My bandsaw has been retired to cutting stainless and Ti bars.

Yep. Anyone that thinks they will be standing around waiting on one of these to make a cut, has never seen one in action. I have the Fein Slugger 14" and it is probably one of the best metal cutting tools I have ever owned. My bandsaw has been retired to cutting stainless and Ti bars.

I was thinking the same thing. Especially when talking ~120 roll cage tubing.

I'm on this boat as well for cutting. Although I do have a bandsaw, I bought it mostly for the ability to cut plate brackets and tabs vertically.

Plus one more for the EVO 380, replaced the Dewalt cold cut saw with a stamped base with the Evo and the cast base. Sharpie your angles on the base and it works just perfectly. Biggest drawback with all cold cut saws is the small shards of metal that plague my dogs paws...

marc

I was thinking the same thing. Especially when talking ~120 roll cage tubing.

I'm on this boat as well for cutting. Although I do have a bandsaw, I bought it mostly for the ability to cut plate brackets and tabs vertically.
Well fuck, if I'm spending your money, I'd go with the slugger:flipoff2:
But honestly you can't go wrong with a cold cut chop saw. They're pretty nice, even the evo IMO. They have their own issues, but if the price of the slugger is the hangup, the evo would serve it's purpose just fine.

Plus one more for the EVO 380, replaced the Dewalt cold cut saw with a stamped base with the Evo and the cast base. Sharpie your angles on the base and it works just perfectly. Biggest drawback with all cold cut saws is the small shards of metal that plague my dogs paws...

marc
Use one of those magnetic nail rollers and you'll be good to go.
Those shards are a major pain in the ass though...

Anyone that thinks they will be standing around waiting on one of these to make a cut, has never seen one in action.

I am guessing most everyone bitchin about chop saws being slow are referring to the abrasive versions, which absolutely suck in every way, unless it is the only thing you have. Bandsaw is a substantial upgrade from that nightmare. I recognize the cold saws have been out for a while and arent exactly new anymore, but for me they are still new fang dangly, and still sit in my memory as high dollar shite, despite the cheaper chop saw style that are out now.

Listen to 300sniper yes, very wise is he! I want one of these! Someone buy my Wellsaw

Have a 20" hitachi chop saw at the shop. That big bitch does not fuck around. Pretty easy to stall it out once the blade is down to around 15" though.

Probly go to one of the metal blade units, if this thing ever wears out. Doubt that will happen though

I have a milwaukee porta band it sucks. Tried using it this morning and said fuck that and grabbed a grinder with a cutoff wheel. Idk if I’m just buying shitty blades for it or what. It seems like it only cuts good a few times then it’s worthless.
You have to buy better blades

I use the deep cut regularly and it's good. Have the horizontal/vertical fixtures for it from trick tools to use on my service truck and its really good imo.

Personally I have the best luck with Sandvik blades.

The new evolution chop saw is here.

Evolution S355MCS 14" Mitering Chop Saw / Heavy Duty / Metal Cutting

5305099F-BB8E-42DB-9BBB-6ED7F592526B.jpeg

You have to buy better blades

I use the deep cut regularly and it's good. Have the horizontal/vertical fixtures for it from trick tools to use on my service truck and its really good imo.

Personally I have the best luck with Sandvik blades.
You are a snowback… where does one find these blades? I used Lennox first then Milwaukee. I couldn’t keep either from walking

You are a snowback… where does one find these blades? I used Lennox first then Milwaukee. I couldn’t keep either from walking
You're doing something wrong. I have a big pile of unknown brand blades from about 15 years ago when the company I worked for bought them in bulk. They work great. And I have some Lenox ones that I borrowed from another job that cut equally as well. Even the Morse bimetals that HF used to sell work fine.

Are you just using the wrong tooth count?

You're doing something wrong. I have a big pile of unknown brand blades from about 15 years ago when the company I worked for bought them in bulk. They work great. And I have some Lenox ones that I borrowed from another job that cut equally as well. Even the Morse bimetals that HF used to sell work fine.

Are you just using the wrong tooth count?
I’ll have to check but I think they are 14tpi? Might be 18tpi

marc
This is a good point and one of the only downsides, while the abrasive blades only make dust, the metal blades make something more like sharp ass die grinder shards. Also you let one retard make a few cuts, and slam the blade down, you need to buy a new blade.

Also you let one retard make a few cuts, and slam the blade down, you need to buy a new blade.
This... the first blade on mine lost several teeth despite me explaining in advance to the "friend" how the thing worked. Also, the method of clamping and starting the cut seems to help blade longevity. I cut angle with the legs both down. Channel and such as vertical as possible minimizing the chip loading length to reduce heat.

What do you guys think about running a metal cutting blade in my Dewalt 780?

I used it to cut soffit and fascia, but nothing thick.

What do you guys think about running a metal cutting blade in my Dewalt 780?

I used it to cut soffit and fascia, but nothing thick.
You will have issues finding a 12" blade that can handle the rpm of that saw.

Old thread, but I had to make a cut off in 3-1/2” round 1018 today and it was gravy. Still on my (almost) original blade (killed one the first day knowing it wouldn’t work, but I had to try 1-5/8” round 6Al-4v bar…).

Even on larger solids, there’s no way a bandsaw would keep up, or cut more square. Once I get this part time tuned, I need to make a few more cuts. I’ll video it to get a time reference.
IMG_6205.jpeg

IMG_6206.jpeg
IMG_6209.jpeg

Old thread, but I had to make a cut off in 3-1/2” round 1018 today and it was gravy. Still on my (almost) original blade (killed one the first day knowing it wouldn’t work, but I had to try 1-5/8” round 6Al-4v bar…).

Even on larger solids, there’s no way a bandsaw would keep up, or cut more square. Once I get this part time tuned, I need to make a few more cuts. I’ll video it to get a time reference.
IMG_6205.jpeg

IMG_6206.jpeg
IMG_6209.jpeg
How is the slugger doing angles? Can it do long shallow cuts or what? I was doing some free handing today with my set up. 8” Diablo blade is still kicking! I might start searching for another worm gear saw because the foot on this one rocks. It’s probably been dropped at some point

Attachments

• IMG_4113.jpeg
    IMG_4113.jpeg
    4.1 MB · Views: 8
  • IMG_4114.jpeg
    IMG_4114.jpeg
    412.7 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_4115.jpeg
    IMG_4115.jpeg
    724.1 KB · Views: 7
How is the slugger doing angles? Can it do long shallow cuts or what? I was doing some free handing today with my set up. 8” Diablo blade is still kicking! I might start searching for another worm gear saw because the foot on this one rocks. It’s probably been dropped at some point
Honestly, I’ve only used it for cut-off work. I do know it wouldn’t do that shallow cut you’ve got there, but I don’t think any cut-off saw would, maybe a larger bandsaw.

But, I’m planning on getting the 9” Slugger circular saw. I just need the project to justify it.

Honestly, I’ve only used it for cut-off work. I do know it wouldn’t do that shallow cut you’ve got there, but I don’t think any cut-off saw would, maybe a larger bandsaw.

But, I’m planning on getting the 9” Slugger circular saw. I just need the project to justify it.

I've got the 8" Milwaukee M18 and it is super useful for cutting steep angles in box or plate like shown in the posts above.

What size is this stacked material sniper? 2x4?

I was reading the bad reviews on these cold cut saws and came across a unit that isn’t talked about much:

Fein Metal Slugger

Has anyone here ran this? It seems expensive but if it cuts correctly that’s worth the price of admission

Does anyone have experience with the non ferrous blades? and cutting solid aluminum bars, round and rectangle?

Does anyone have experience with the non ferrous blades? and cutting solid aluminum bars, round and rectangle?
I have the Evolution saw and the aluminum specific blade for it. Walks the dog through it and makes really clean smooth cuts. I prefer to use it over the big bandsaw whenever cutting Aluminum.

Does anyone have experience with the non ferrous blades?
Used one more than a decade ago at a job. We cut 1/4-1/2 flat stock a couple times a day for years and never had to change the blade in that time.

Ok those “muh bandsaw is faster, straighter and cleaner than a dry cut saw” or “I can do other things while the bandsaw cuts” folk, heres 3-1/2” 1018 bar.
It you want to challenge it, feel free to post a video.

Ok those “muh bandsaw is faster, straighter and cleaner than a dry cut saw” or “I can do other things while the bandsaw cuts” folk, heres 3-1/2” 1018 bar.
It you want to challenge it, feel free to post a video.
I just bought one for way too much money... $980 CAD all in... ouch

Top Back Refresh