What's new

Adjustable V Belts

ChiScouter

Red Skull Member
Member Number
I know they have been around for 20plus years, I saw a guy at a car show hyping them way back then. He said they ran smoother and quieter than regular belts, I never much thought about using one , or saw one in use or heard anyone talk about using one. I am putting a 2hp compressor together that I would like to be as smooth and quiet as possible. Someone gave me 2 of those V belts, one with the segments held together with pins, the other where the segments are barbed and index into each other. I am really skeptical of these things and wonder if anyone else has messed with them.

I think they're inferior to traditional v belts in every way except convenience.

I ran one on my old lathe because it was way more easier than tearing apart the headstock to thread in a new belt.

I've never really considered the belt to be the noisy part of a compressor setup either.

Hell, give it a try and compare the noise. Its usually easy enough to change belts in a compressor. I'd be curious if you really notice a difference.

Once I started wood working I learned the biggest advantage, the link belts don't retain memory.
The memory translates to vibration in the saw arbor that is very noticeable on a table saw.

Replaced my air compressor belt with one, it's quieter and been on there for 4 years or more. It was a noticeable reduction of noise.

Also one on my mill. They work good, imo.

Next time I have to do a belt on the Hough it's gonna get one of them because the pump coupling is a bitch.

Put one on my lathe. Like bigaydan said it was a lot easier than tearing shit apart to replace the belt.

Those adjustable belts are nice for things like the lathes mentioned, or to throw behind the seat of your pickup that uses the old style v-belts, or if you're a farmer like me just keep them behind the seat of the pickup to fix any other equipment that uses an old style v-belt too...

im having a hard time finding a 1" wide 60" long v belt for a 1950s cat grader

Cat 12 grader? We had to replace the water pump belt and got one straight through Caterpillar. It wasn't cheap, but we got it. I think that one went straight from the crank to the water pump though, and it must have another short belt to run the generator. Fuck if I remember...

Top Back Refresh