What's new

Adjustable ball mounts (hitches)

YotaAtieToo

Thick skull
Member Number
Loc
Bonners Ferry, ID
I currently have 2 different 2" ball mounts and 1 2 5/16 ball mount in my truck. My new trainer sits a little higher and even with the coupler as low as it goes, my current ball mount is a little to low. I could easily get a tri-ball hitch or similar, but the HD ones are actually not cheap. Plus then I'd have a 4th fucking ball mount in my truck. I'm thinking it may be time to just go to a decent adjustable ball mount and get rid of my collection.

What is everyone running?

4 fucking ball mounts.... lol honestly between my dad and I we have 6 hitch's but generally use 2 with each particular truck and one is the universal tri ball we throw in bed for odd jobs that we dont know what we might need (hauling a trailer for friend or something)

He has 2 adjustable ones (1 W-D and 1 not) but they have been set at same height for years since his truck is the dedicated heavy hauler.

I have 8 receiver hitches all at different heights and at least 10 different thing with trailer couplers all at different heights and with some at 2 inches and some at 2 5/16 and a couple of pintles I have way way too many inserts and always seem to want a configuration that I don't have.

My truck has a 3" reciever so I bought one hitch for all. At the time there weren't many options, this one has a rating the same as the truck.

I recently bought a bulletproof for this reason. Didnt want to spend the money, but....it removes clutter and lets me adjust on the fly.

I recently bought a bulletproof for this reason. Didnt want to spend the money, but....it removes clutter and lets me adjust on the fly.

What made you pick them? I like that it's simple, but the price is almost double of the curt that looks very similar.

Also curious if anyone is using pintles with them? I don't have, or plan to have a pintle trailer, but if get an adjustable hitch, I want it to be the last one I buy.

Curt makes a few different separate pieces that replace the dual ball piece, they aren't cheap though. I kinda like how the gen y is just a little $40 piece to make it a pintle, but also feel like their design sticks out kinda far.

4 fucking ball mounts.... lol honestly between my dad and I we have 6 hitch's but generally use 2 with each particular truck and one is the universal tri ball we throw in bed for odd jobs that we dont know what we might need (hauling a trailer for friend or something)

He has 2 adjustable ones (1 W-D and 1 not) but they have been set at same height for years since his truck is the dedicated heavy hauler.
The tri ball is great on my wife's F150, works perfectly on every trailer I've pulled with it.

My truck sits a little higher and has the "hidden hitch" which puts the receiver right under the bumper, instead ~3" below. I almost always need a 4-6" drop.

I've actually thought about getting a weld on receiver and just welding it right under the flush one, then just get a tri ball :laughing:

Speaking of curt, this seems hard to beat.

My buddy works at a trailer fab/repair/service place and he runs that one, so it must be decent. $130 for 14k rated is barely more than a nice drop hitch and good ball.

Well I ordered that one. I've been eyeing them because they are already a good price for what you get at ~$170. So $130 w/ free shipping is pretty good. Hopefully I didn't get ebay'd :laughing:

They do make a pintle that replaces the dual ball piece, but it's about the same price as the whole hitch. I don't need one, but like to be able to hook up to whatever. Maybe I'll just make a little piece of plate that sits over the ball and grabs 2 pin holes. Not ideal, but for the rare occasion, it will be OK.

A little late since you've already ordered, but I went with a BulletProof Hitch. I have a 2.5in hitch though, so it was only a little bit more than the Curt. The BP hitch has a higher rating, uses the same ball for the pintle (you just have to order the keeper separate), and at the time had more options for rise/drop. But I know several people with the Curt hitches and are tickled pink with them. And I agree with you about the Gen Y hitches. They look bulky and awkward and stick out a long way.

Duane

A little late since you've already ordered, but I went with a BulletProof Hitch. I have a 2.5in hitch though, so it was only a little bit more than the Curt. The BP hitch has a higher rating, uses the same ball for the pintle (you just have to order the keeper separate), and at the time had more options for rise/drop. But I know several people with the Curt hitches and are tickled pink with them. And I agree with you about the Gen Y hitches. They look bulky and awkward and stick out a long way.

Duane

Keep it going, I figured this could be a good thread for anyone.

The bullet proof one looks fine, very similar to the curt. The 2" shank one I found was $300 though.... Maybe that's just the high mfg msrp. The pics showed a hollow tube shank, but said solid shank?

I like the keeper on the BP for occasional pintle use. I wonder if it would work with a curt :laughing:

I have the B&W stow and go with the 9" drop but I usually use it with it at about halfway down. It has the 2" and 2-5/16" balls that you pull a pin to flip over, 2 pins hold the ball mount so you can easily slide it up and down as you need. They have 3-ball setups and I think there is a pintle option. I really like it. However, it is on a lifted half ton and I never tow more than about 6k.

I ended up with an Anderson hitch. It has enough drop for my trailers on my truck.

I like it well enough although the last pin location seems a bit on the close side but hopefully they know what they are doing, I'd rather have a bit more material on the bottom end. And it would be nice if the shank was a bit tighter in the receiver but it's not as bad as others I have. It is bulk as its aluminumum.

Keep it going, I figured this could be a good thread for anyone.

The bullet proof one looks fine, very similar to the curt. The 2" shank one I found was $300 though.... Maybe that's just the high mfg msrp. The pics showed a hollow tube shank, but said solid shank?

I like the keeper on the BP for occasional pintle use. I wonder if it would work with a curt :laughing:

BP has three different ratings, medium is 14k, heavy is 22k, and extreme is 30k. A quick look at their website shows the 2in 14k ones starting at 180 bucks, which looks pretty comparable to the Curt at regular price. I went with the 22k rated one for a 2.5in hitch. It was right around 300 bucks, I think the 20k Curt one was 270ish? at the time.

I ended up with an Anderson hitch. It has enough drop for my trailers on my truck.

I like it well enough although the last pin location seems a bit on the close side but hopefully they know what they are doing, I'd rather have a bit more material on the bottom end. And it would be nice if the shank was a bit tighter in the receiver but it's not as bad as others I have. It is bulk as its aluminumum.

We picked up several of those at the FD for our new trucks. Also look like a quality product, but I haven't messed with them much.

Duane

BP has three different ratings, medium is 14k, heavy is 22k, and extreme is 30k. A quick look at their website shows the 2in 14k ones starting at 180 bucks, which looks pretty comparable to the Curt at regular price. I went with the 22k rated one for a 2.5in hitch. It was right around 300 bucks, I think the 20k Curt one was 270ish? at the time.

We picked up several of those at the FD for our new trucks. Also look like a quality product, but I haven't messed with them much.

Duane

I thought the 2" 14k was $300. Looks like e trailer has them for $209.

I have the B&W stow and go with the 9" drop but I usually use it with it at about halfway down. It has the 2" and 2-5/16" balls that you pull a pin to flip over, 2 pins hold the ball mount so you can easily slide it up and down as you need. They have 3-ball setups and I think there is a pintle option. I really like it. However, it is on a lifted half ton and I never tow more than about 6k.
They do have a pintle, but then you're forced to only have one ball.

I hate the multi-ball full adjustable on the back of my work truck, and it’s in a sleeve. Makes so much clunking noise I think everything back there is falling off.

I hate the multi-ball full adjustable on the back of my work truck, and it’s in a sleeve. Makes so much clunking noise I think everything back there is falling off.

Cheapo?

People complain the gen y has too much movement.

Buying an expensive hitch that doesn't fit the truck is pretty dumb. :laughing:

My weigh safe was $175 at the time I bought it so keep that in mind.

My father in law just got a '20 SuperDuty and when I suggested the weigh safe he said "that GD thing is too expensive", it surprised me that it was $300+ now.

Fix the trailer to fit your truck. You should have the supplies just kicking around.

If anyone else wants to tow it and it doesn't fit their truck they can buy their own damn ball mount.

What made you pick them? I like that it's simple, but the price is almost double of the curt that looks very similar.

Also curious if anyone is using pintles with them? I don't have, or plan to have a pintle trailer, but if get an adjustable hitch, I want it to be the last one I buy.

Curt makes a few different separate pieces that replace the dual ball piece, they aren't cheap though. I kinda like how the gen y is just a little $40 piece to make it a pintle, but also feel like their design sticks out kinda far.
Haven't used the pintle attachment, and I was seriously debating the equivalent Curt product. To be honest, I got a case of the "fuckits" and just bought the bulletproof one because I wanted it more than the Curt. :flipoff2:

Fix the trailer to fit your truck. You should have the supplies just kicking around.

If anyone else wants to tow it and it doesn't fit their truck they can buy their own damn ball mount.
Fix? Low pro tires?

Trailer has ~6" of adjustment and is all the way down. I have a ~5" drop hitch. Seems pretty dumb to modify the trailer to fit my dumb hitch.

For $130, I can't think of an easier solution. I'm going to throw my 3 hitches on Craigslist and probably get my money back. The 2 5/16 is a nice forged 16k capacity unit.

Fix? Low pro tires?

Trailer has ~6" of adjustment and is all the way down. I have a ~5" drop hitch. Seems pretty dumb to modify the trailer to fit my dumb hitch.

For $130, I can't think of an easier solution. I'm going to throw my 3 hitches on Craigslist and probably get my money back. The 2 5/16 is a nice forged 16k capacity unit.
Yeah fuck all that.
One 3" ball mount shank in my case was $90 + ball.
That's not happening x 3 for my trailer fleet + any friends trailers I might frequently use.
I store that single 8" drop hitch under my back seat and never have to worry about having the right hitch.
I also have a correctly rated hitch to pull my RV if I have a WD hitch failure.

Fix? Low pro tires?

For ~$30ish you could weld on a longer channel, maybe even toss in a gusset from the scrap pile.

Or I could use the proper hitch :homer:

Hopefully I can get $60-90 from the hitches I have, just because I don't want them in the back of my truck anymore.

Ever since I added ~1000 lbs of fuel tank and tool box, my drop hitch has been border line too low.

But, ya, let me go around and modify my 2 trailers and every trailer I borrow or rent, way cheaper.

When jacked up just a ove level, the channel sits from about 17-28" which is exactly the same as my buddy's dump trailer. So it's not like it's some stupid high tongue.

I don't know why you insist on swinging from my nuts just to disagree with everything I post. :laughing:

Toyotas are reliable :flipoff2:

Speaking of curt, this seems hard to beat.

My buddy works at a trailer fab/repair/service place and he runs that one, so it must be decent. $130 for 14k rated is barely more than a nice drop hitch and good ball.
Damn, not bad at all.

I'd almost replace one of the pins with a bolt lock... to keep the ball from walking away.
Fortunately, I don't live in the hood :flipoff2: never had a locking anything. I also don't usually keep a hitch in my truck. Now that I say that, I'm probably jinxed :laughing:

20210803_141501.jpg

Sticks out a bit. My receiver is blind and I've had to trip other ball mounts. This one has 2 holes and hits the back before I can get the pin in the 2nd hole. I may trim ~1" off the end so I can slide it in more.

I'm a nerd I know. :homer:

Maybe open the back of the trucks hitch? I dunno if that's an easier\harder-better\worse solution but the hitch can be used in many different trucks down rd so I would have hard time chopping into it for less turning clearance on 1 truck.

Top Back Refresh