What's new

Adding oversized third garage

Otto M@n

Red Skull Member
Member Number
Kicking around the idea of adding a third garage to my house. If approved and all, ideal project time frame would be spring/summer of 2026, but I've been low key planning it for awhile and soliciting for thoughts/inputs on stuff I haven't considered.

My stipulations:
  • Live in a HOA, have to get it approved. Don't think it will be a major issue, but has to be presentable/look nice. Detached is not an option due to relatively small lot size.
  • Said HOA won't let me keep my RV at the house, but nothing against building a garage large enough to store it in...
  • Driveway is pretty sloped and this is one of the biggest considerations for me. I will get more pics later, but I have concern of the ass end of the camper digging into the driveway when I back up the trailer.
  • Standard 2 car garage (24x24?) for size reference.
  • Back patio (stamped concrete) is about 14' long. In my mind, the garage door is forward of the other doors by about 2', to break up the front of the house a bit, as well as give me more garage space.
  • I would like to be able to park my toy hauler (or any other bumper pull) with a max length of 32'-ish feet. My current trailer is 30' to the tongue.
  • Thinking it should be a 16' wide pad and run to the end of the patio. I want to be able to open the door on my RV with it inside the garage - and not have to side-shuffle to walk around the perimeter of the RV.
  • Current garage doors are only 7'. Ideally I'd have a 14' door, allowing future capability of a 5th wheel, car lift, whatever. Would that look dumb to have the third garage door twice as tall as the other ones?
  • Yard side of current garage already has a window. I would turn that into the man door access from the 2 car garage.
  • Yes, I drew the red rectangle in paint. E for effort :flipoff2::homer:
  • Driveway will have to obviously be expanded. Is it possible to grade it different to provide a more gradual slope to permit trailer backing up? I would be fine with adding rollers to my current and any future trailers to make this work.

Please tell me what a dumb idea this is :laughing::beer:

Attachments

• Houseoverview1.png
    Houseoverview1.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 1
I'm not going to razz you about living in an HOA, but I will use this opportunity to pat myself on the back for refusing to buy in any HOA subdivision.
Which is a lot of the subdivisions around here unfortunately

Make it bigger than you're thinking :smokin:

Separate driveway would probably be easier to fit in than having a funky ass grade change between the new and existing driveway. Get elected to HOA board so you can approve your own projects.

I'm not going to razz you about living in an HOA, but I will use this opportunity to pat myself on the back for refusing to buy in any HOA subdivision.
High five! I hope you never do.

I did once and never again. I ended up on the board once a vacancy popped up because I thought I could be a voice of reason. Nope they were the exact Karen’s you expect.

Interesting enough, I have seen quite a few of them fizzle out locally lately

High five! I hope you never do.

I did once and never again. I ended up on the board once a vacancy popped up because I thought I could be a voice of reason. Nope they were the exact Karen’s you expect.

Interesting enough, I have seen quite a few of them fizzle out locally lately
Yep. I've owned houses in two seperate HOA subdivisions. Locked horns with the HOA at both places, so I decided that I would never put myself in a position where I had to ask for permission or defend decisions I make about my property again.

Yep. I've owned houses in two seperate HOA subdivisions. Locked horns with the HOA at both places, so I decided that I would never put myself in a position where I had to ask for permission or defend decisions I make about my property again.
And pay to do so. One of he things that was my quitting point was raising the dues. There’s always justification to raise them and the solution is never just spend less money on stupid shit. But the mailboxes! Who will paint the mailboxes! That’s $3600 alone! I’ll do it next Saturday? GASP! You can’t do it you’re not a painter!

This

Between construction costs and added Property Tax, I bet you could pay storage fees for a while
PLUS, you avoid the HOA Karens
X3.

Once you get all the numbers together; at least take a few minutes to run the numbers to see how many months/years worth of storage the overall cost would get you.

Screenshot_20240917_134109_Chrome.jpg

Around here is fairly common to see an rv garage that's taller and or longer than the regular garage, here a random example

Also, I'd seen something where a guy excavated his driveway and garage floor to make his existing 2 car garage taller for a lift, also bougie hoa area, turned out nice

*fuck hoa, but you already knew that:laughing:

Kicking around the idea of adding a third garage to my house. If approved and all, ideal project time frame would be spring/summer of 2026, but I've been low key planning it for awhile and soliciting for thoughts/inputs on stuff I haven't considered.

My stipulations:
  • Live in a HOA, have to get it approved. Don't think it will be a major issue, but has to be presentable/look nice. Detached is not an option due to relatively small lot size.
  • Said HOA won't let me keep my RV at the house, but nothing against building a garage large enough to store it in...
  • Driveway is pretty sloped and this is one of the biggest considerations for me. I will get more pics later, but I have concern of the ass end of the camper digging into the driveway when I back up the trailer.
  • Standard 2 car garage (24x24?) for size reference.
  • Back patio (stamped concrete) is about 14' long. In my mind, the garage door is forward of the other doors by about 2', to break up the front of the house a bit, as well as give me more garage space.
  • I would like to be able to park my toy hauler (or any other bumper pull) with a max length of 32'-ish feet. My current trailer is 30' to the tongue.
  • Thinking it should be a 16' wide pad and run to the end of the patio. I want to be able to open the door on my RV with it inside the garage - and not have to side-shuffle to walk around the perimeter of the RV.
  • Current garage doors are only 7'. Ideally I'd have a 14' door, allowing future capability of a 5th wheel, car lift, whatever. Would that look dumb to have the third garage door twice as tall as the other ones?
  • Yard side of current garage already has a window. I would turn that into the man door access from the 2 car garage.
  • Yes, I drew the red rectangle in paint. E for effort :flipoff2::homer:
  • Driveway will have to obviously be expanded. Is it possible to grade it different to provide a more gradual slope to permit trailer backing up? I would be fine with adding rollers to my current and any future trailers to make this work.
If you fix that part, the rest is easy, move, fuck that

Please tell me what a dumb idea this is :laughing::beer:

Is there any underground utilities in the area of the new garage? Also how long do you plan on living there

How long you plan to live there is a good question. And built it bigger!!!!

Some guy in town has a pretty big attached garage on a corner lot. The long side runs with his house and he has steps up to a nice little porch and front door looking entry door, so it just looks like his house, you turn the corner and there's two big rv doors.

Build it as big as you can get away with, with as big a door as you can get away with. Put a 2' planter between driveways to mask the grade change

Top Back Refresh