ADDING LACQUER THINNER TO FUEL TANK

CDA 455 II

ANFAQUE2
Member Number
Loc
No Country For Old Men
Never heard of of this.

Was researching cat. converters/found this:

Adding one gallon of lacquer thinner to ten gallons of gas at your next refuel may also be effective clearing out catalytic converter deposits. You can try either of these methods in combination with the Italian Tune-Up method.

Anyone ever experimented/tried this?

When my dad brought a "new" lawnmower home on garbage day if it didn't run he filled the tank with lacquer thinner and had a squirt oil can that he also filled with lacquer thinner. He would squirt it directly in the carb to get it running and then after a bit it would run on full choke with the lacquer thinner. Gradually he would wean the choke off and we would have a new mower. It worked several times, when it didn't he brought another one home and did it again
Decades later A douchebag I worked with had a fancy honda generator and I suggested it to him. It worked but a month later it ate every piece of rubber it its fuel system. He didn't know how to use a screwdriver and took it to a dealer who charged him a small fortune to replace the entire fuel system. He is still bitching about it 20 years later :lmao:
IDK if I would take a chance with that trick even diluted in a car

IDK if I would take a chance with that trick even diluted in a car
Think about it like this,
1 gallon in 10 is 10% less than most ethanol fuels today.

Granted the lacquer thinner is more potent but knowing what any ethanol does to a small engine, you will have the same result with lacquer thinner.

Might be good to run a tank through that way to clean it, but not constantly, or let it sit in there.

E85 in a port injection vehicle will definitely clean up the valves. Sloppy Mechanic showed a cheap 4.8/5.3 he had grabbed when he first got it and after running a few tanks of e85 through. It was impressive. Not sure how I'd find the video.

Not sure how a car not setup to run E85 will like it.

Can E85 be used like Seafoam; put a couple of gallons in with a tank-full of reg gas?
I don't know where you live or what is available but around Iowa/midwest we have 3 grades of ethanol.
Up to 10%, above 10% and E85.

The above 10% has been measured in some cases to be 40-50% But I think state law says it should be 15-20%

Of course E85 at 85%

I run the above 10% in my first tank on the boat every year. It may not clean the engine like you are wanting but it certainly removes moisture from the fuel system and cleans it some. (quadrajet on 350 gm, mechanical fuel pump)

Have a 78 corvette that has 11:1 compression. Been thinking about converting to run on E85. Kind of mixed feelings from people who have done it.

But leaving E85 sit in your Fuel system will hurt the seals. Not every rubber part will fail, but eventually some will.

I have a 1996 Kawasaki Bayou 300. I used to run 10% ethanol in it. Turns out the aluminum needle did not like it. It would swell and stick every year. swapping back to Non ethanol fuel and haven't had a problem since.
So the effects of ethanol fuels in Non ethanol vehicles are not always completely known.

Seafoam is still safer. I think Chevron Techron is better.

I don't know where you live or what is available but around Iowa/midwest we have 3 grades of ethanol.
Up to 10%, above 10% and E85.

The above 10% has been measured in some cases to be 40-50% But I think state law says it should be 15-20%

Of course E85 at 85%

I run the above 10% in my first tank on the boat every year. It may not clean the engine like you are wanting but it certainly removes moisture from the fuel system and cleans it some. (quadrajet on 350 gm, mechanical fuel pump)

Have a 78 corvette that has 11:1 compression. Been thinking about converting to run on E85. Kind of mixed feelings from people who have done it.

But leaving E85 sit in your Fuel system will hurt the seals. Not every rubber part will fail, but eventually some will.

I have a 1996 Kawasaki Bayou 300. I used to run 10% ethanol in it. Turns out the aluminum needle did not like it. It would swell and stick every year. swapping back to Non ethanol fuel and haven't had a problem since.
So the effects of ethanol fuels in Non ethanol vehicles are not always completely known.

Seafoam is still safer. I think Chevron Techron is better.
I'm going to try this route this month.

At least half a tank's worth of 92 octane.

I'm going to try this route this month.

At least half a tank's worth of 92 octane.
You know they sell Techron in a bottle too, right?
1659764233365.jpeg

I doubt it works. A couple gallons of E85 in the tank is the old school method of passing an emissions test.
My experience with cat related issues was that it wasn't getting hot enough prior to the test. Sitting on a piece of road doing 60-70mph@70-75% of max RPM for 10 mins heats the whole exhaust up like a goodun and I've never had a problem since.

Used to do it all the time to increase the octane rating in fuel. Toluol works better but lacquer thinner is easier to get.

But never tried to clean a convertor.
Always wondered what the ratios would need to be in order to add this or say, diesel in order to turn 87 octane into 93 octane or the like.....

Always wondered what the ratios would need to be in order to add this or say, diesel in order to turn 87 octane into 93 octane or the like.....
I know one gallon of toluol in 10 gallons of regular gas is at least 93 octane.

We ran it in a supercharged boat. It would ping on 87, then they had 93 premium at the dock and that stopped the pinging. Then not wanting to pay for premium at the dock we tried blending 10 gallons of 87 with 1 gallon of toluol and that stopped the pinging.

That is all the scientific info I have. LOL.

Wow; nope, didn't know!:laughing::homer:

Is that Chevron's answer/equivalent to Sea Foam?
It's 10 levels above seafoam which is basically coleman fuel and alcohol. Techron is a PEA based cleaner that actually eats the deposits, works very well and one of the additives that a lot of manufacturers actually sell (or their version of it)

Top Back Refresh