What's new

AC kit question

Rooney77

Bearded lady
Member Number
Loc
TX
I'm wanting to add AC to my recently acquired cj7 (4.2 engine). I'd rather not remove the factory heater and all since I just refurbished all that. Does anyone have any recommendations? Ideally whatever I get will still look like 80s tech.

You probably should get the compressor and condenser for your stock application. Then I would look at “Red Dot” for a evaporator/Fan setup.

When I bought the one for my CJ seven, they all look like they were from the 80s. Big consul bolted kind of under the dash. With chunky knobs with levers.

When I bought the one for my CJ seven, they all look like they were from the 80s. Big consul bolted kind of under the dash. With chunky knobs with levers.
That’s what the factory ac in my YJ looks like. Would probably bolt right up to a cj dash too.

I would make sure to install a modern parallel condenser.

Look for a vintage Mark IV under dash unit. These were the go-to retrofit A/C kits in the 50s and 60s. Tidy packaging, includes the vents - you should be able to find one fairly easily, or maybe even in a junkyard.

download.jpeg

You're welcome:laughing:

Look for a vintage Mark IV under dash unit. These were the go-to retrofit A/C kits in the 50s and 60s. Tidy packaging, includes the vents - you should be able to find one fairly easily, or maybe even in a junkyard.
This.

They're still available new as well, with a few different vent style options. I run one under the dash of my 63 Nova and it works well. Also run a similar unit that includes a heater coil for the ceiling mounted rear HVAC in my Burb.

I'm wanting to add AC to my recently acquired cj7 (4.2 engine). I'd rather not remove the factory heater and all since I just refurbished all that. Does anyone have any recommendations? Ideally whatever I get will still look like 80s tech.
My 75 cherokee came with AC. It's the under dash "factory jeep" stuff. I can take some pictures of it when my ship pulls back in. You are welcome to it.

My 75 cherokee came with AC. It's the under dash "factory jeep" stuff. I can take some pictures of it when my ship pulls back in. You are welcome to it.
I appreciate that but I still have all the factory stuff from my 81 Cherokee. Sadly it doesn't fit as I'd hoped.

Top Back Refresh