What's new

ABS on a '94 bronco XL

CDA 455 II

ANFAQUE2
Member Number
Loc
No Country For Old Men
When I swap in an '05+ Dana 60 on my Bronco, will I have to do anything with the ABS system the Bronco has?
I think it's just a 2wheel ABS system.

I'm an idiot, it's in the title. 94 should have four wheel abs. Count the number of teeth on the tone ring and see if that matches what's on the SD60. If it matches then no problem.

I have a 92 one ton that had the two wheel RABS on it. It’s disabled because it failed. Like Arse said though the half tons then have 4 wheel ABS and it’s a little more complicated to get rid of. You can bypass it but the light will be on. I’d do an ABS delete, pull the bulb out of the cluster and forget about it.

I have a 92 one ton that had the two wheel RABS on it. It’s disabled because it failed. Like Arse said though the half tons then have 4 wheel ABS and it’s a little more complicated to get rid of. You can bypass it but the light will be on.

1) I’d do an ABS delete,

2) pull the bulb out of the cluster and forget about it.

1) Can you please expand on that?

2) As in pull the bulb from the dash?

Thanks for your input. :beer:

1) Can you please expand on that?

2) As in pull the bulb from the dash?

Thanks for your input. :beer:

Your bronco isn't a factory mass air bronco is it?

Word of warning, the ABS unit is the proportioning valve so if you get rid of the antilocks these can tend to skid the back tires under hard braking. I've never found it to be a real problem. If you unplug the ABS unit it turns an "ABS" light on in the dash. It's pretty easy to pull the whole guage cluster and just pull the bulb out for the ABS indicator. Here's a red neck changing bulbs on his 94 bronco, all you have to do is identify which one is for the ABS and pull it. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QEauNss938A

I have bypassed the ABS module entirely and pulled the bulb so I don't have any lights on in the dash. I just go buy two short metal brake lines and correct sized flared brake line coupler's from the parts store. I also have a tubing bender that way I can make the lines nice and neat. I prefer to completely remove the ABS unit instead of replacing it. If you feel so inclined you can get an adjustable proportioning valve from summit.

1) Your bronco isn't a factory mass air bronco is it?

2) Word of warning, the ABS unit is the proportioning valve so if you get rid of the antilocks these can tend to skid the back tires under hard braking. I've never found it to be a real problem. If you unplug the ABS unit it turns an "ABS" light on in the dash. It's pretty easy to pull the whole guage cluster and just pull the bulb out for the ABS indicator. Here's a red neck changing bulbs on his 94 bronco, all you have to do is identify which one is for the ABS and pull it. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QEauNss938A

3) I have bypassed the ABS module entirely and pulled the bulb so I don't have any lights on in the dash. I just go buy two short metal brake lines and correct sized flared brake line coupler's from the parts store. I also have a tubing bender that way I can make the lines nice and neat. I prefer to completely remove the ABS unit instead of replacing it. If you feel so inclined you can get an adjustable proportioning valve from summit.
1) That is correct.

2) Very interesting.
Would you happen to know the tooth-count on the stock '94 Bronco's D44 tone ring?
The '05+ axle tone ring tooth-count is 160.

3) That thought has definitely crossed my mind.

i dont remember the exact number...iirc its 50 something....metal slotted ring is flat and goes around outside of bearing hub....unless i am mixing that up with the rangers. i have seen stamped tin like hoops and like a cast fingers.

there was a way to alter the program some how..but i dont remember that setup...maybe it was through the drew link.

edit...found this on jbg....looks exactly like the ranger ones i had...used the ttb 44 abs spindles to beef up the d35 before with some finagling to use brakes...

RAY66441R3.jpg

When I swap in an '05+ Dana 60 on my Bronco, will I have to do anything with the ABS system the Bronco has?
I think it's just a 2wheel ABS system.

what is the rear axle?

Personally id just pull the fuse/bulb and go. May want to add a proportioning valve if you went to rear disc to fine tune it.

damn the metric pattern bullshit. but i do know in my tiny little mind...some day. it is inevitable i will have the new stuff. whether that is due to some sort of hub motors or later model doodie axles remains to be seen.

but why? already have some highdollar 8x6.5 wheels?

Several reasons:
1) I'm poor

2) Said axle cheap: $250
Completely ready to be bolted in.

3) HMMWV tire/rim/run-flat cheap: $200 per tire/rim/run-flat
Same bolt pattern as said axle

4) I'm poor

Only thing I have to add is a rebuilt or new driveshaft.

It's so straight-forward even a nOOB like me can do the swap.

Several reasons:
1) I'm poor

2) Said axle cheap: $250
Completely ready to be bolted in.

3) HMMWV tire/rim/run-flat cheap: $200 per tire/rim/run-flat
Same bolt pattern as said axle

4) I'm poor

Only thing I have to add is a rebuilt or new driveshaft.

It's so straight-forward even a nOOB like me can do the swap.

I'm playing catch up here, that doesnt match the front 05 axle. You redrilling the front hub?

there is a write up on gofastbronocos (which is dead right now) that shows you how to jumper some wire. IIRC there is some interconnection to the trans controller/speed sensors or something.

found this on the googles https://www.fullsizebronco.com/threa...bronco.199311/

i bypassed mine and threw the medusa module in the trash. got a light that i will pull someday. brakes fine

that cost more then new wheels and tires and college for the kids.

yeah.....i do shit like that too.:laughing:
:laughing:

Right now I'm going to deal with having two different bolt patterns/two spares.

I want to pick up a Dana 60 that's good enough to be bolted straight in after purchase.
And then I'll go back, over time, and upgrade.

I have all stock in my 90' Bronco. (Rear anti-lock) The light went on ten years ago. I put a piece of electrical tape on the dash. (Also on the check engine light) Trucks been fine ever sense.

I have all stock in my 90' Bronco. (Rear anti-lock) The light went on ten years ago.

I put a piece of electrical tape on the dash

(Also on the check engine light) Trucks been fine ever sense.

My airbag light has been blinking at me for at least 12 of the 16 years I've owned my Bronco. :laughing:

I think I'll do the same.

My airbag light has been blinking at me for at least 12 of the 16 years I've owned my Bronco. :laughing:

I think I'll do the same.

You can just unplug the module and the airbag and then the light will stay solid. If you cut a particular wire in the harness to the module it will go out. If you cut the wire without unplugging the module it will make noise at you.

Top Back Refresh