What's new

A-Salt truck. 2002 International 4900

Patched the chewed wire and still had a relay on the fritz. It finally clicked while I had my hand on (been trying to figure out which relay by feel). Exhaust brake relay, which I have no clue of what it controls at this time. Back when I was messing with the rad fan, I found that the exhaust brake relay on the firewall controlled part of it. This truck has no exhaust brake....:homer:???

The same model of relay is used on the majority of the truck, so I swapped what I presumed to be a good relay (air condition) and it is so far idling without the trans pad resetting.

Spoke too soon. Same thing is now causing the trans pad to reset and stall the engine briefly.

20230530_101335.jpg
20230530_101304.jpg

If the truck had an exhaust brake, the fan would come providing additional load to slow the truck, and obviously cool it.

If the truck had an exhaust brake, the fan would come providing additional load to slow the truck, and obviously cool it.
Kinda remember seeing that. Makes sense, too.

Really wondering what a second EB relay tucked next to the TCM is for. I'm not getting any clicking anymore, but something is making the truck stumble intermittently and eventually stalling it entirely. Found some vague codes on the NexLink. I'll see if they lead me to anything.

Kinda remember seeing that. Makes sense, too.

Really wondering what a second EB relay tucked next to the TCM is for. I'm not getting any clicking anymore, but something is making the truck stumble intermittently and eventually stalling it entirely. Found some vague codes on the NexLink. I'll see if they lead me to anything.
Not sure if its your explanation or my mis-understanding but "clicking relay" is a symptom not the cause.
The relay probably clicks when the power is interrupted cycling the keypad.

Not sure if its your explanation or my mis-understanding but "clicking relay" is a symptom not the cause.
The relay probably clicks when the power is interrupted cycling the keypad.
I didn't explain enough. I've had relays go south because the electromagnet got weak. So I eliminated that possibility by swapping to confirm whether or not it was merely a symptom The swapped relay isn't clicking. Pad is still resetting.

Pulled up two codes and they point to a communication problem at the IDM and cam sensor. I don't know why that would be resetting the trans pad. There is one trans code that I have to look up. Stuff to do when I get back to my laptop this eve.

Oh, how I would love to have a mechanical DT466 in this.

Really only because I'm incredibly drowsy now with the crud that neighbor kids brought over -

Have at it. I might wake up in the wee hours and start researching like I normally do. Might be in a better mood, too :laughing:

SID 254 was in the trans DTC's. May indeed be the pad.

20230530_111937[1].jpg

20230530_112013[1].jpg

20230530_112122[1].jpg

20230530_112131[1].jpg

20230530_112139[1].jpg
20230530_112146[1].jpg

Codes can be pretty vague, but it's looking like it's high time that I clean up every one of the power connections.

for the mice, what about putting some death hot sauce in a mister and spraying it around? they hate the heat, spray it on all the wires and shit? just remember to not rub your eyes after working on the truck moving forward :laughing:

for the mice, what about putting some death hot sauce in a mister and spraying it around? they hate the heat, spray it on all the wires and shit? just remember to not rub your eyes after working on the truck moving forward :laughing:
6b6e60336a8c5973c5448033e38d8e09.jpg

If you're gonna do it do it right :grinpimp:

6b6e60336a8c5973c5448033e38d8e09.jpg

If you're gonna do it do it right :grinpimp:

I'd say it's time to pull the pin on that sucker :laughing:. But yeah, hot pepper everywhere just might do it. I'll try not to grab my pecker after fondling any wiring.

We had a rodent take out the engine harness on a Subaru 3.6 recently, and it had pulled at firewall foam padding (for nesting material, I'm guessing). I wrapped the new harness with capsaicin tape, and treated the firewall padding + most top engine surfaces with a penetrating oil + ground cayenne mixture, then shook a shitload of ground black pepper on that mess. Black pepper is supposed to be toxic to rats, and the cayenne is supposed to be a decent repellent. So far, so good (fangers crawssed).

We had a rodent take out the engine harness on a Subaru 3.6 recently, and it had pulled at firewall foam padding (for nesting material, I'm guessing). I wrapped the new harness with capsaicin tape, and treated the firewall padding + most top engine surfaces with a penetrating oil + ground cayenne mixture, then shook a shitload of ground black pepper on that mess. Black pepper is supposed to be toxic to rats, and the cayenne is supposed to be a decent repellent. So far, so good (fangers crawssed).
I'll start stocking up the ammo.

Not sure why, but rats had only taken up residence in the dump truck. Chewed up wiring, stole insulation out our house, gnawed all our potted plants down to nubs, etc.

Mice don't do much more than leave shit and piss stains all over in anywhere they nest. My Subaru headliner is soaked. And I had to take the blower box out to remove all the debris they put in it.

Neighbors have said the same thing - when they lived up in mid-MO, they never saw rodents problems like we do in the Ozarks.

Traced the keypad power. Had to because I didn't know exactly where it was routed. Pulled the breaker for it and let the truck idle for about half an hour. Not a single skip. Nothing but some severe corrosion.

Pulled and cleaned up an ABS breaker to swap in. Ran steady, so I took for a test drive. All went well

20230601_153240.jpg

As long as that holds, I believe I'm back to sticking some new gauges in and cleaning up the rest of the rat's nest (pun intended) of wiring.

Ran fantastically today. There be gauges on the way. Planning to haul gravel....Wednes...day lol.

I'll have to put that 22g power block together so that I can fire up a wall of glowing instruments.

Top Back Refresh