What's new

A kinda stockish 4runner

Squamch

Canadian
Member Number
Loc
republic of Vancouver island
A few years back, I bought this for $400. 1992 4runner, 22re, auto, heavy on the rust.
It had a "blown headgasket" (worn through timing cover). And a "broken rear suspension" (link bracket torn off the frame).
It also hadn't had a functioning odometer the whole time the guy I got it from owned it, and was stopped at 499,6xx km.
Screenshot_20210610-185631_Instagram.jpg

So I leaf swapped the rear, and built some bumpers, and chopped a set of trailmart sliders off a truck a guy was parting out.
Screenshot_20210610-185659_Instagram.jpg

Screenshot_20210610-185738_Instagram.jpg

Screenshot_20210610-185600_Instagram.jpg

Turned out that loading it with camping gear and playing baja racer, and hitting water bars was a bad call.
Screenshot_20210610-190032_Instagram.jpg

Also tore the housing open. After a new housing, I added an anti wrap, bump stops, and more leafs.

Then...the auto trans finally started to protest my abuse. It makes an awful clattering noise, even after I took it apart and put it back together, with a fresh TC, pump, and a shift kit.

So now, I'm going to 5 speed swap it. I went and picked up a set of pedals last night, and I have a trans and tcase in the shop already.

IMG_20210822_183951_944.jpg

Loaded it up and dragged it to the shop Saturday morning, then did a side job vw steering rack, then yesterday, hauled the auto out, and got the 5 speed in, hanging on a stock crossmember, and the floor patched.
20210822_130917.jpg

IMG_20210822_183952_047.jpg

IMG_20210822_183952_075.jpg

I'll get pedals hung tonight, and maybe maybe get the wiring sorted out.

22re/auto in a 4runner? Bet that thing was a rocket :laughing:

I had a lot of fun in mine when it was really close to that. Only difference was I crammed 35s on stock front suspension.

It held up good for a long time. The spider gear in the front diff was what actually failed. A locker probably would have prevented that, but possibly hurt a few cv's.

Now I'm going down a similar path with a 96 4runner.

22re/auto in a 4runner? Bet that thing was a rocket :laughing:

I had a lot of fun in mine when it was really close to that. Only difference was I crammed 35s on stock front suspension.

It held up good for a long time. The spider gear in the front diff was what actually failed. A locker probably would have prevented that, but possibly hurt a few cv's.

Now I'm going down a similar path with a 96 4runner.

Oh, it was.
Screenshot_20210823-092940_Instagram.jpg

2nd gear? :laughing:

Mine was a 22re/5spd and actually wasn't bad at all. The 5.29s and 35s were slightly lower than stock (speedo was 5mph fast) and I could sometimes even go up hills in 5th 🤯

2nd gear? :laughing:

Mine was a 22re/5spd and actually wasn't bad at all. The 5.29s and 35s were slightly lower than stock (speedo was 5mph fast) and I could sometimes even go up hills in 5th 🤯

I've had a few 4.56/22re/5spd trucks that weren't bad. Hoping that with 31s and 4.56s it'll have some good jam.

It will be about as good as any 22re can be.

If you already have them, cool, if not 5.29s is the only gear worth paying money to put in a Toyota. I actually put some 31s on mine with 5.29s for a day and was expecting it to be ridiculously low geared. It wasn't at all, was actually good at 65.:lmao:

If you already have them, cool, if not 5.29s is the only gear worth paying money to put in a Toyota. I actually put some 31s on mine with 5.29s for a day and was expecting it to be ridiculously low geared. It wasn't at all, was actually good at 65.:lmao:

I have been stocking up on 4.56 diffs for years.

Lost some momentum briefly, but back at it. Hydraulics sorted out last night, got my t case shifter in, remembered that the shifter seat for the 5 speed was in eleventy three pieces, so I've gotta dig for the marlin one that's in a parts bin somewhere. Rear shaft is at my buddy's shop being stretched 3.5". I'll do the front myself though.
Can anyone confirm the size of schd40 pipe I need for a thick wall front shaft?

I'd really like to get this thing buttoned up so I can get back to work on the panda.

Did a little more fettling tonight. Fixed chafed wires, got reverse lights working as they should, looped the neutral safety switch wires, got reverse lights working again. Need to get my paws on one of those marlin mechanical to electrical speedo swapper things, pick up my driveshaft, and should be off to the races!

Took me a minute but I finally insured this and drove it home.
Gotta get selectable front hubs on it. The front driveshaft I built half cut on a plywood bench didn't balance worth a shit. Weird:laughing:.
I'll use the ones on the floor in the backseat that have been there for 2 years. Those should work. Fuckin slacker.:lmao:

I can't get the clutch properly bled though, and I think I know why...I ran the hardline up and over the master cylinder and along the firewall. Being up above the master is allowing it to trap air bubbles isn't it? Master needs to be the high point doesn't it?

It doesn't want to fully disengage, and the pedal meets resistance about halfway through the stroke. The rod is nearly maxed out.

WAT? I ran 5:29’s and 33’s and she would scream ay me above 55.

New line today and by God it works great. Got the manual hubs on it too, which helped a ton with the shake. Got the reverse lights working by cleaning up the grounds.
Needs a brake light bulb, a new rad cap, and a rad flush and it should be kinda dialed....for a shitbox.:flipoff2:

At this point, this is now a thread for me to keep track of what I've done.
Yesterday what I did was blow the rear output seal on the tcase, while on my way to buy parts for my Ford.

Likely related to the unbalanced heavy wall driveshaft and highway speeds.

I'm gonna call around on Tuesday and see if I can get the shafts balanced somewhere, the resonance in the truck is like being inside a drum over 75km/hr. Probably should balance the tires too.

Well that was a quick little job.

Driveshaft shop said they'd never done a shaft that thick before, but they straightened my heavy wall shaft and re-welded the yokes on straight...for only $500. Which, considering the work involved, ain't too bad. Swapped the output seal tonight, I might be able to get the shaft in tomorrow night and see how it goes. Maintenance is piling up on everything right now. Wife's car needs fancy acura diff juice, ford needs an oil cooler and coolant flush, rv needa reverse lights, 4runner needs...I forget, I haven't touched it in 2 months...bike needs a tank and a carb tune, other bike has a flat front tire and needs the carb loved. The panda will be being parted out, I'm losing my shop space and not sure wtf I'm gonna do with the tools that live there.

But I'm working on this one again and will be driving it now and again:laughing:

Top Back Refresh