What's new

A Dumpster Fire named Rosie (1999 XJ)

I hope you’re installing shock towers or hoops as part of this ‘rust removal’ process. You know, because after playing the rear of the frame it’s only logical to install rear coilovers.

Windshield has always leaked on my '99 and I'm sure the driver's side floor looks the same way. I plan to start soon.

I hope you’re installing shock towers or hoops as part of this ‘rust removal’ process. You know, because after playing the rear of the frame it’s only logical to install rear coilovers.
I spent a solid 45 minutes engaged in cranial fornication of this subject last weekend. I'd love to link it, but for now the leaves are staying.

Here's a teaser... Wait... no...
I think all the youtoob AW's do it this way?

I ACCIDENTALY CUT MY XJ IN HALF AND YOU WON'T BELIEVE WHAT I FOUND!!! (spoiler, it's more rust)

Actually, I cut out the DS wheel house face, and most of the PS rear floor...

Seeing that diff cover laying there reminds me- I need to reassemble the rear axle so it doesn't get dirt in it. :shaking:

vMUNDwRAzM-ICPjuOf7hM9T1Q=w977-h1297-no?authuser=0.jpg

5mHO3o82GPIfs9_oN-mhLhWRg=w977-h1297-no?authuser=0.jpg

And now I'm thinking I need to call the metal shop for a piece of 16g. Thanks!

Last edited:
looks good i really admire your level of dedication, theres no xjs left around here anymore.

This was my XJ’s fate (from PA as well) before I gave it a nice gentle retirement in CA. I thought mine was rusty (all cut out now).

Impressive dedication to your shitbox. I see you’re a man of undiscerning taste combined with poor judgement as well. :flipoff2:

Damn man. That's a lot of work for an xj. Mine was falling apart in Ohio before I sold it and moved. Miss it, it was a good truck.

I have a collection of parts to pull from. Tons and C/Os among the pile.
3 pieces of 36” long 2” 0.25 wall tubing should be in there. Also some Metal Cloak Duraflex joints.

Oh and you might want to know an Atlas Transfer case is worth buying. Less work just bolting things in rather than dealing with extra crossmembers and supports and shit.

Might as well pour gas on this conflagration.

Been heading this direction for a while - I just wasn't willing to say it out loud.

I've acquired a bunch of parts for the past few months/ year+... GM 60 housing, doubler, late model discbrake 14b rear, etc.

Decided to "clean up" the shop by moving these parts from "storage" (Strewn about the shop) to "put away" (under the jeep).
Cut 2" off the long side of the GM60 because the inner C was bad.

Ended up being the same length as the narrowed Ford 60 in my other jeep, so I can have a spare. (jeep logic)

welded on a new C, assembled the axle, and slammed it home under the XJ. Yes, it's the "wrong" drop, but I have a D300 to go behind the doubler, and I'd kinda prefer not to flip it.

1710162865073.png

The 37 RAZRs on H2 wheels poke out just enough.

1710162878053.png

Definitely watching. I have a 2wd xj I just picked up and looking forward to see how you deal with passenger side drop. Going to run a Chevy 44 and Dana 300 since I have them. Might even go leaf spring.

Also interested in the passenger side since I also have a D300 that would be nice not to flip

I believe the motor is offset to the passenger side, plus starter obviously. Exhaust crosses over to that side and flipping it would put the cat right next to fuel lines and brake lines.

What wms did you wind up at with what backspacing on the wheels

Also interested in the passenger side since I also have a D300 that would be nice not to flip

I believe the motor is offset to the passenger side, plus starter obviously. Exhaust crosses over to that side and flipping it would put the cat right next to fuel lines and brake lines.

What wms did you wind up at with what backspacing on the wheels
WMS - ~67, and H2s have 5.5" Backspace.

I’d be interested to see how the inner fenders are going to work at full lock with the tire stuffed on one side and drooped on the other.

I’d be interested to see how the inner fenders are going to work at full lock with the tire stuffed on one side and drooped on the other.
Like this? (might not be "Full" lock...)
1710355480213.png

This was my first XJ on tons. Similarly narrowed Ford 60. Probably a bit narrower than this one.

Top Back Refresh