What's new

97 dak crank no start

TRINDU

PBB Orphan
Member Number
Loc
Central TX
Bought a genuine POS for the engine. Want to get it running before I tear it apart. Was told replaced clutch and never ran since.

1997 dakota 5.2L 5spd 4x4

Fresh battery, It will crank all day. Gauges dont work, but all the idiot lights come on and off. After ~10 seconds the odometer starts flashing and the security light comes BACK on. ~30 later it beeps again and yells at me with a low fuel light.

On the trailer I got it to fire of for a second off ether, now nothing.

Odometer codes were 920,921,999

All fuses and relays appear to be good.

Scanner wont connect.

every time I've had to 'battle' with the Mopar security crap of that era I've always lost - did a similar vehicle purchase and picked up a 94 Grand Cherokee for the mag 318 in it that supposedly 'ran', and while it would run for about 4 seconds it would immediately shut itself off with the SECURITY idiot light flashing at me - something to do with the rear hatch lock or some shit - I've no idea, but I did confirm it isn't making horrible bottom end noises. Anyway, hopefully it's a simple fix/work-around.

I was able to jump circuits, and to my surprise, the fuel pump kicks on.

Was reading the ram ECU will work, but guages wont. Going to put my hands on one and see if that works.

not that it will help any, but I'm building up an 02 Dakota, and one of the things I did was surgically delete all of the OE electronics and computers from the engine//cab/body harnesses, and repurposed much of the power sources to power the new systems - I also eliminated the OE dash and fabbed up a stand-alone dash with a hose of autometer gauges - all 'old school', and I replaced the 46RE with a 46RH, with the OD and LU on toggles. I have yet to hook up the lights, wipers and all the 'body' stuff, but I have a have a suspicion the remaining cab computer may not allow certain function of some electronics past 5 minutes or some nannie cutoff timer, and if I run into too much of that I'll gut the whole freaking system and replace it with an older wiring harness like from a late 70's Mopar truck. Fighting newer electronics...especially the OBD2C3PO bullshit can be a real nightmare.

- Sam

Got lucky, grabbed a ECM from a 1997 ram, 5.2l, 5spd and plugged it in.

Success! Kind of... fuel pump poured fuel on the ground but noid and test light said the engine should theoretically run. Good enough for me.

Guages dont work, dont care.

Top Back Refresh