What's new

97 4runner 2.7L engine

Thefishguy77

Part time dumbass
Member Number
Loc
U.S.S.A. (Washington St.)
Got a call from a buddy with news his wifes 4runner shit an engine. Coolant in the oil. He is looking for a source for a good replacement engine. Dont know anything personally but off the top of my head I mentioned Jasper as long as they have a jasper friendly shop do the purchase and install. As well as recommended they do the first several services.
Rig is a 97 4Runner 5sp 4cyl 4wd

Any other recommendations?
Should I go up and do a hydrocarbon test on it before he has a shop rip it out for something stupid? I know nothing about this generation of 4 cylinders.

Of hes paying a shop to replace a 4 banger in a 20+ vehicle. Just go ahead and buy something else.

Otherwise, a used engine will be $1500+ with unknown history. You can use a 2.4L(2wd) and I dont theyll notice a difference.

Otherwise, I'd call local machine shops and ask for long block rebuild price.

Did it actually kill the engine or just a bad head gasket? Good OE head cores for the 3rz are getting harder to come by because of their tendency to crack between the valves/plug hole and new non chicom heads are $$$. I'd be weary of buying a reman long block because chances are good it'll come with a shitty Chinese head, and a used engine might have a cracked head too.

Rebuild the 3rz, or sell the damn truck. By the time a reman engine is swapped in they will be $5k deep into a $5k truck.

These people are clearly morons. I mean it's kind of to be expected given the vehicle in question but still worth reiterating.

If your 20yo vehicle pops a head or head gasket and you can't turn wrenches and you are considering anything other than "sell it", "junkyard head" or "junkyard head then sell it" you are a moron and deserve to get fleeced.

Therefore I vote reman engine installed by a dealer.

Rebuild the 3rz, or sell the damn truck. By the time a reman engine is swapped in they will be $5k deep into a $5k truck.
No, no no, you don't understand, after they fix this one thing it will magically go for 20yr with no maintenance. :lmao:

Where do I get a fresh 3rz SWAPPED in for $5k????:grinpimp:
Does buying a comparably priced used car work?
Out here a well done 2.4 is @2k longblock set in your bed...

Stupid

Tax

In

Action

Neither are morons. But neither are mechanical either. It does have maintenance records and the only reason I didn’t immediately say sell it is because its a manual. If it were an automatic that would have been my first words, dump it.
I am going to reach out to them today and recommend the sell the rig and get something new.

Neither are morons. But neither are mechanical either. It does have maintenance records and the only reason I didn’t immediately say sell it is because its a manual. If it were an automatic that would have been my first words, dump it.
I am going to reach out to them today and recommend the sell the rig and get something new.

Keeping that in mind...

A 3rz 5sp 3rd Gen 4runner is a bit of a rare bird, and has a niche demand in the Yota 4x4 world. If the rig is overall lower mile and/or in great shape with no rust it will still pull $2-3k easily with a bad HG.

But really, unless someone who knows RZ engines has specifically said "this engine is dead" I would think it just needs a HG job and maybe a fresh head at the most.

Perhaps my baseline is off, but $3k for a 3rz longblock is available at a few Yota shops around here. But the swap itself is probably more... I've never paid someone to swap an engine so I'm probably estimating low.

Yea, I won't pay someone for the pleasure of redoing their work either!:emb:
But at +$100 an hr , it seems these "mechanic types" in shops these days won't get it done:smokin:
A 5 gear runner as stated above could be worth the repair cost tho...

Top Back Refresh