What's new

96 axles in a 01 2500 truck?

Og48

Member Number
So i have my 01 2500 4x4 with 60 front and 70 rear 3.54s. Here is the question, my buddy has a very low mileage set of 96 axles, 60 front and 80 rear geared to 4.10s. They are complete take outs including the abs wiring. So can I swap these out? Looking quickly, it looks like the rear sensor in the pumpkins are different and the tone ring locations are in a different location on the front stub shafts. I also know the outer knuckles have the different ball joint location. So is it doable without much fuss or am I giving myself enough rope to hang myself?

The whole point was to regear to the 4.10s since I have 35s and get a Dana 80 to boot. Or should I just walk away from this crazy thought?

That all depends if the 96 has 2 or 4 wheel abs.

Is yours an early or late 01?

My ‘99 has the dumb front brakes that require pressing the studs out to change the rotors, and by ‘91 the rotors just slipped over the studs. That alone would keep me from swapping to the older front.

So I’m unsure if the 96 had rear abs. Looking at the plug, it has two wires, but again I have no idea how to tell. As for the build date on mine, it was built 7/00 so I have no idea if that is a late or early 01 either.

So I’m unsure if the 96 had rear abs. Looking at the plug, it has two wires, but again I have no idea how to tell. As for the build date on mine, it was built 7/00 so I have no idea if that is a late or early 01 either.

01.5-02 would be disc rear. Possibly non-cad.

To my knowledge, they all share the same rear axle plug for speedo/abs.

The front would be knuckles/brake/ball joints. Just pull the abs light on the cluster if you dont care, common thing. 96 shares the same knuckle as ford if you decide to do homebrew lockouts

01.5-02 would be disc rear. Possibly non-cad.

To my knowledge, they all share the same rear axle plug for speedo/abs.

The front would be knuckles/brake/ball joints. Just pull the abs light on the cluster if you dont care, common thing. 96 shares the same knuckle as ford if you decide to do homebrew lockouts
Okay so yes, both rears are drum and both front ends do have the cad on them. Thanks for the help

Top Back Refresh