What's new

95 Pickup 2WD

TOMS97ZJ

What?
Member Number
Loc
Japatul Valley, CA
Picked up this 95 Pickup back in June.

Driving on the hwy the other day and the ball joint bracket snapped in half. Made it to the side of the hwy but the steering outer rod, lower arm, upper arm, shock are toast.

Trying to find the best options for a rebuild.

TC doesn’t make a 2wd kit anymore.

Fabtech doesn’t make their Ivan Dan kit anymore.

looks like I’m stuck with FT uppers, stock lowers and moog steering and ball joints.

Thoughts on options?

Anyone got an Ivan Dan kit laying around.

Attachments

• B0C8DA99-2B66-4153-9AC1-10AA130C8E93.jpeg
    B0C8DA99-2B66-4153-9AC1-10AA130C8E93.jpeg
    4 MB · Views: 212
  • BB80BADD-099D-42CD-980E-134B191182BF.jpeg
    BB80BADD-099D-42CD-980E-134B191182BF.jpeg
    4.1 MB · Views: 17
  • 35DA65E9-9487-4B23-B6FD-A4078981F11D.jpeg
    35DA65E9-9487-4B23-B6FD-A4078981F11D.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 16
Really? Damn. I always thought they were the best.

Not anymore.

Moog doesn't make anything of their own anymore, and just reboxes whatever they can get. So it might be a nice Japanese part, or a POS China part, under the same Moon part number.

Also, what about JD Fab? They make 2wd long travel kits.

Not anymore.

Moog doesn't make anything of their own anymore, and just reboxes whatever they can get. So it might be a nice Japanese part, or a POS China part, under the same Moon part number.
What do you recommend then?

Just anything or is there a decent brand?

PXL_20220517_012745828.MP.jpg

Check the racedezert classifieds. They have used kits like my old amplified performance kit on there all the time.

As does prerunner central on FB

What do you recommend then?

Just anything or is there a decent brand?

Any OEM supplier from Japan is my first choice, like Sankei/555.

Not sure if any brands make older Toyota parts in America anymore. That would be a close second place.

I try to avoid parts from mainland China. Too much inconsistency in the materials and manufacturing. Even a "good" brand will have batches of garbage parts from China, it's only a matter of how often it happens.

I'm testing a pair of Proforged lower ball joints in my GX and they are good so far. 10k or so of somewhat aggressive driving on extended travel Icon suspension. Made in Taiwan which is acceptable to me because they hate China more than we do.

Oh and I've never tried the TRQ stuff but a quick search shows 50/50 on people's experience with it.

Last edited:
Looking at what's available at Rockauto, Delphi and ACDelco appear to be the best options there.

If you want to keep the truck, get the best you can. If you plan to drive it hard I would upgrade to uniball/heim stuff anyway as the stock design ball joints can only take so much travel and abuse.

PXL_20220517_012745828.MP.jpg

Check the racedezert classifieds. They have used kits like my old amplified performance kit on there all the time.

As does prerunner central on FB
That thing is dope.

Checked RDZ, no luck.

I don’t have FB. I’ll have my buddy look.

Looking at what's available at Rockauto, Delphi and ACDelco appear to be the best options there.

If you want to keep the truck, get the best you can. If you plan to drive it hard I would upgrade to uniball/heim stuff anyway as the stock design ball joints can only take so much travel and abuse.
I’m definitely planning to keep it.

The fabtech uppers are supposed to be uniballs. According to the guy I spoke with the ones I am ordering are. The newer ones use stock ball joints.

I am 100% with you on staying away from China junk.

They have some nice shit. Gonna shoot them an email real quick.

Their LT says it doesn’t work with torsion bars, I’m assuming that it just eliminates them all together.

Thanks.
Yes. The kit that I have that I posted a pic of above is the same way. You have to go coilovers with a custom shock hoop. Or get the 4wd hoop from TC and adapt it to fit

Anyone know about the front strut rods?

This one is ground down, trying to see if they are needed and if there are better ones if they are.

Anyone know about the front strut rods?

This one is ground down, trying to see if they are needed and if there are better ones if they are.

I had to look them up because my first thought was "what the fuck are strut rods?"...

Looks like they are mandatory with stock lower arms, as they are what triangulates the arms to prevent movement.

If you're swapping to aftermarket lower arms then I would imagine no but there would probably be some additional pivot point welding required.

Top Back Refresh