What's new

'94 Pickup Build

Alex123456

Red Skull Member
Member Number
Loc
Omaha
I bought this truck last fall. It's a '94, 3rz/auto/23 spline duals. Kingpin Dodge front and Chevy 60 rear. 4 links front and rear.

Lots of good parts but in need of a lot of work. I had a build over on the other site, I sucked at updating it and I'm not going to bother bringing it over.

49938329727_ac72fe7743_k.jpg

Had to clear out the driveway before I could get started. Sold my first gen and the 4Runner.

49938331047_f9d3a51cd2_k.jpg

It didn't run, timing was way off. Crank pulley was off. I pulled the valve cover and timed it with the cam marks. Actually started and ran pretty well.

I drove it about five feet past the end of my driveway and the fuel pump fell off and disconnected the wires. That's all I've driven it so far.

49938031026_874425ea90_k.jpg

Going back and looking at everything that needed fixed and knowing everything that still needs done is depressing.

But I did find a card for a $47 special from Suri :laughing:

49937513523_d52c5f16f6_k.jpg

Going back and looking at everything that needed fixed and knowing everything that still needs done is depressing.

But I did find a card for a $47 special from Suri :laughing:

49937513523_d52c5f16f6_k.jpg

Thanks dude. I’ve been lonely lately.

The winch was mounted under the bed and the whole layout of the bed wasn't going to work. Having the winch in the front was a must for me, that meant moving the radiator to the rear.

49938025501_4dc8509c1b_k.jpg

Cut off all the sheet metal, the winch mount that was under the bed can be seen.

49938026136_5779744cd2_k.jpg

The rear tube work is basically held on by the shock hoops :eek:

Figuring it all out. Ended up bending a tube to reconnect the shock hoops to the rear. Put in several cross tubes, a receiver tube and bracing under the floor.

49938024731_cd1497e105_k.jpg

Started gutting the interior. The wiring is the scariest part of the whole truck. I bought a custom ORS harness, waiting on delivery.

49938015606_a45a850c55_k.jpg

Interior is gutted, new interior dash bar and column mounted to it. The old one wasn't attached on one side.

49937489723_acb537b633_k.jpg

Cut off the hideous rear tube work. Not sure this is less hideous but the cooler will open.

49938307192_62f52123a1_k.jpg

That's pretty much where it's at today. I'm waiting on the wiring harness to get here. Radiator is plumbed. I need to run the fuel system and all new brake lines. After that, it'll be driveable.

One question I have is the A pillars. Am I going to die?

This pic from my other build thread, someone called out that the A pillars look messed up. I had never noticed it before unbelievably, but they are asymmetrical. the cage was bent around the factory dash, so it looks odd right now. But is it unsafe to have them bent that way?

I'm inclined to think it's still better than most of the pre bent bolted to the floor cages.

And yeah, I know the tie rod is bent :flipoff2:

Last edited:
From a stress/strength perspective, more bends tends to take away from the strength of that tube, but I would agree that is better than a pre-bent cage due as it sits.

Aesthetically though I would cut out the A-pillars and bend new ones to follow cab lines now that you don't have a dash. And it would give you back the room in your door area.

But I'm also new to cage building so do what you want :flipoff2:

From a stress/strength perspective, more bends tends to take away from the strength of that tube, but I would agree that is better than a pre-bent cage due as it sits.

Aesthetically though I would cut out the A-pillars and bend new ones to follow cab lines now that you don't have a dash. And it would give you back the room in your door area.

But I'm also new to cage building so do what you want :flipoff2:

Thanks for the input. That's pretty much where I'm at with it. Could it be stronger? Yes. Could it look less weird? Yes.

Am I going through all the effort of redoing the interior cage right now? No :laughing:

Thanks for the input. That's pretty much where I'm at with it. Could it be stronger? Yes. Could it look less weird? Yes.

Am I going through all the effort of redoing the interior cage right now? No :laughing:

I say you fix it after you knock your knee on it a few times. And maybe flop test it :laughing:

How flat is your belly? I was looking at your tunnel and thought it was pretty close to what i'm going to end up with. Got any pictures of your skid or cross member?

Edit: first post on Irate4x4 right here! LOL

How flat is your belly? I was looking at your tunnel and thought it was pretty close to what i'm going to end up with. Got any pictures of your skid or cross member?

It's totally flat. I can take some, it's actually something I'm going to clean up soon.

It was originally built with a manual and 22re. When the PO swapped in the 3rz and auto it was modified and I don't like some of the fab on it. He also ditched the skid. I'm going to clean it up and make a simple skid.

I'd probably just run it, but I have some time while I wait for the wiring harness.

Yes, I know I should have just started over :flipoff2:

Some of these are kinda dark, let me know if you want something specific.

50015508473_c484bb9c9e_k.jpg

50016038621_4e9b51ba34_k.jpg

50016299107_702294ee61_k.jpg

50015508833_90b9c24dea_k.jpg

50015508908_8f99e585df_k.jpg

50015509213_8c492e0216_k.jpg

Thanks!! Those show me exactly what I wanted to see. Your T-case is up higher than mine. So with this and the interior pictures I now have a good idea what i'm going to do. THANKS again. This is why I like forums for builds. Wheelers helping other Wheelers.

Top Back Refresh