Iceman

Attachments

• Photo Jul 16, 1 15 55 PM.jpg
    Photo Jul 16, 1 15 55 PM.jpg
    3.7 MB · Views: 30
  • Photo Jul 19, 12 44 37 PM.jpg
    Photo Jul 19, 12 44 37 PM.jpg
    264.6 KB · Views: 29
How long of a trip is it out there realistically? Where'd you stay? Are there good maps of the trails somewhere, or would it be better off finding someone who's ran the trails before? Trying to plan our groups trip next year.

Looks like you've got the truck working pretty good. Any more issues?

How long of a trip is it out there realistically? Where'd you stay? Are there good maps of the trails somewhere, or would it be better off finding someone who's ran the trails before? Trying to plan our groups trip next year.

Looks like you've got the truck working pretty good. Any more issues?

I've been out there 5-6 times now and still can't find anything but camp 5 :laughing:. Camp 5 is Hal John's, Kong, Calamity, a few others. Realistically plenty for a few days. It helps that they're putting up signs on the trail heads now. But I still have no idea how to get to some of the other trail heads like the cereal bowl, Iceman and Bikini/T-Back.

I usually camp outside Deadwood., about 9-10 hours drive for me. Both Wild Bill's and Hidden Valley are nice campgrounds very close to camp 5. The forest service map isn't really labeled and is pretty useless. Definitely worth it to find a local or someone who has run the trails before your first time there. Someone was saying Avenza has good directions to the trails, I haven't looked at it.

The truck works pretty good, a bit of a fuel pickup issue I found out about at the wrong time. Otherwise, it makes pretty short work of stuff that was hard in my previous truck. I feel like I should drop a few PSI next time out and see how that works.

did you trailer to each trailhead or can you drive there from camp ground 5
I drove to camp 5, from wild bills it's just gravel and forest road. From Hidden Valley, you have to cross the highway and drive on the shoulder for 1/4 mile or so before you get to the gravel road.

You can trailer up to camp 5 and drop your truck and trailer at the trail head, but I never have and it takes quite a bit longer to get up there.

so no drama with taking forest roads and gravel from wild bills then. is camp 5 a camp ground also?
No, gravel road through Galena then up the forest road to the staging area. Easy drive, no drama.

Even coming from Hidden Valley across the highway is drama free, it's a pretty OHV friendly area as long as you aren't a dick.

Camp 5 is a road. As far as I know you can't camp up there.

Top Back Refresh