What's new

'93 chev c3500 w/ a 502 -or- 08' 5.4l 4x4 f350 superduty. work truck choice?

Well that's just weird. Maybe that style didn't need a much heat?
I have no idea, mine like that is a 91 c3500hd and it passes ca smog, it has a replacement cat that I installed and my dad's friend has a 94 k2500 like that also with a replacement cat that he installed which also passes ca smog.

The smog tech wasn't happy about it, but it is the stock location.

a pain in the ass. and way too much time swapping beds

the flat bed was built for a srw SD f350. then went easily to the next. the chevy was a pain to fit it to, and i lost a bit under box space. i got it to work but will probably change the mounting a bit. i just realized, right now ,the bed sits too low in the front but dont have time now to change it so that will be later.

didnt get it far enough, i got to get some out side work done soon. will wrap it up tomorrow.

first fit.
410OyY3sstoKPEnpo8XkbVcEpg=w823-h617-no?authuser=0.jpg

cut this much out of the front boxs, and the frame of it got around 2" cut out to fit it lower. / helpers
Pcm2fgR-TItP6gzuNC-8jn8v1M=w823-h617-no?authuser=0.jpg

the frame on this truck is wide up front then it skinnys down to the rear, to the same width the SD truck was the whole way.
rBC8qI9FCcjGkqO81yWBHM0dSI=w463-h617-no?authuser=0.jpg

mounted
Fm1Y3rqPsGX3xxgx89INA1lvhQ=w823-h617-no?authuser=0.jpg

sG7Hc_nESarl2Gsyez3c1VfwHI=w823-h617-no?authuser=0.jpg

its needs work, but it needs to get to work first. i dont like the rake, the bed not mounted level, the headache bar is too high and might need to try to arch the bed side, the tire sticks out about an inch on each side. aif bags and ride height will be dealt with first after its ready for work. i am happy with the bed height tho, its low enough that I'm not against a little lift in the front to level it out if that's what's needed after the tools are on it.

going to get the light wired in, and tools on it first. new fuel pump should be here today, so might get that in too.

Last edited:
Wait until you see what they do with the web height after the front spring hanger. :laughing:

Ya, that's a good point. That body style is when they started the factory body lift look :flipoff2:

As much as I don't care for that body style at all, I do kinda like this truck, especially with the 502/manual :smokin:

yeah the frame narrows and looses allot of web height. i'm sure the bed being attached will stiffen it up a bit.

what surprised me the most was how much the spring hangers are fwd compared to the rear. the boxes have 51" between them, the rear hanger easily fit between, and the front boxes had to get notched out about 3-4" each side.

on the duperduty the front boxes had a small 1" notch in them but iirc it because the hangers are bigger at the front, not the actual leafs being mounted wider.

certainly a lighter duty truck, i'll take the trade off of a better ride. this truck is more comfortable to drive than any superduty i've had, and plenty duty enough for the work i do. soon i'll see how it rides all loaded up.

i'll get more pics up once its wired and loaded up. and attempt a video.

Yeah, the 2500/3500 non-HD GMT400 trucks are much closer to a consumer truck than a commercial truck. But parts are so damn cheap and common, and as you noted they drive well (when the front end has good bushings and joints and rod ends and shocks).

I was going to buy a 454 4wd GMT400 for my work truck but when the time came I couldn't find a single one. I know Chevy better than Ford so it seemed like a decent option. Instead I ended up with a project Super Duty that's still in the shop...

well the bed not mounted level and the rake of the truck is bugging me. i used a jack to see how much it needs to be level, only went up an inch in the front but it also made the bed more noticeable. so i'm pulling boards and going to get the bed mounted right, in line with the body lines. then going to chack again what is needed to be level. at first i was thinking i was going to lower the truck now its looking for like a small lift, but we'll see.

trucks pretty much set up. i know i'll be changing what tools are in what boxes etc. its really nice to have all the tools in one truck again.

i still need to make a cover for the passenger side front box. i ended up leaving the whole in the driver side box. this way i can route the leads under the bed to the welder and not have them sitting on the bed in the way. i keep one length connected all the time and enough to reach another 100' in the cab. i also keep the 220v cord always plugge in.

front of welder, leads going under bed. also where the fuel fill neck comes thru. i need to mount the fill neck better, another thing that will wait for another time.

uAbNbNb69qhwkbEDpVnsNZhAbX=w463-h617-no?authuser=0.jpg

and into the box. i've got bang on around the cut out to protect the leads. and here you can see the old filler. its getting taken out. never worked well any ways, wasn't high enough above the tank and was slow to fill. mount for this truck will be on the head ache rack eventually.

i think the cord mgmt here will work out. they may still end up on the deck there to the right of the top box, but trying this out for now.

P_tFqPeAkEl7vfm0BBAAFHP0is=w823-h617-no?authuser=0.jpg

and pretty much how it is now. that haed ache bar needs to come down around 4", another thing i'll get to sometime.

nDfHZ87cwz8bWB6-pXM-GpcwM8=w823-h617-no?authuser=0.jpg

a can load it as the job need, but i would really like to have an air compressor on board at all time. the aircompressor just needs to be enough to run a hypertherm 45xp. i have 2 compressors for mobile, one is in the van right now, an electric roll air wheelbarrow compressor. and the other is a 13hp honda emglo. id hate to take up any more deck space, so i'm hoping i can figure out an easy mount to put a compressor under the bed in the spare tire location. i got 2 extra tires now.. no need for a spare. should be able to make it work. i might also just buy a new compressor if i find one that fits better.

well the bed not mounted level and the rake of the truck is bugging me. i used a jack to see how much it needs to be level, only went up an inch in the front but it also made the bed more noticeable. so i'm pulling boards and going to get the bed mounted right, in line with the body lines. then going to chack again what is needed to be level. at first i was thinking i was going to lower the truck now its looking for like a small lift, but we'll see.
longer shackles in the back, man
make you some 7ga sheetmetal fenders to get tire clearance if you gotta

longer shackles in the back, man
make you some 7ga sheetmetal fenders to get tire clearance if you gotta

yeah, definitely maybe.

i even have the shackles sitting on a shelf here, ordered them assuming i would lower the rear. i would only need to cut the side rails 1 to 1.5 inchs to be sure the tires dont hit the bed before bumpstops. i wouldn't even do fenders just cut a nice radious and soften the edges.

however, the bed is plenty low enough, i could go 2-4inchs higher and be happy, but the current height is perfect. can easily work off of, and easily get a knee on the bed to climb up. whats really holding me back is the more i look at it the more i think it might be too low to get onto the barge/ landing craft. besides for working on the barge, it also takes me where the ferries dont go, i want to be sure i can drive on and off easy. maybe i lower it and use airbags to lift it up when needed?

my van, is lifted and on 32 tires iirc. and its big old ass end that stiick out the hitch drags the deck if i forget to take it out. the hitch is also about 18" further back from the rear tires than on a truck. i'll compare depart angles to see how close it will be and if i have the room to go lower.

this is where the bed will live. its not perfect, but looks okay.
got the rest of the tools in it and the old truck emptied out.

i think its almost perfect, not to change any ride height. got work outside work, material pick up (only one supplier wont deliver to my home/shop pita) time to get paid.

nothing is perfect the bed aint flat. from most angles it looks perfect this makes it look sloping into the cab, oh well.

V66Vw6s9e0zPngYCf3co2JoIKk=w823-h617-no?authuser=0.jpg

kinda better

lGGsX9lYTKUNCNaXKGFpJZ6Ofo=w823-h617-no?authuser=0.jpg

other side

ySBH4u3IVkBoUVXwGM--IpwfiE=w823-h617-no?authuser=0.jpg

and back

zz4UkPx-Bv3jiu_9RFLEsK_BgM=w823-h617-no?authuser=0.jpg

i raised the front of the bed about 1-1/2". angles check out i should be able to load the ferrys and transporters, maybe need a little lift, but hopfully just air bags in the rear and air shocks in the front. just an inch or two would make all the difference.... but its like 4x4 for a work truck, only need the extra clearance a couple times a year so i'll see if i get hung up and go from there.

motor seems to run better everyday, i only have maybe 150 mi on it. i'm going to give it a couple tanks of fuel before i put the new fuel pump in and start trying to see about making more power. as is its way better than the old 454tbi i had. i'm happy with it.

Top Back Refresh