What's new

91 xj speedo

SteveJenkins

Member Number
A6D1BE55-FBC6-4979-BC82-B3105EF9EFED.jpeg

My MMW box arrived!!!

They sent me their new output without speedo provisions. I’m not complaining. I’m super stoked this thing arrived!

What are my Speedo options to keep my cel off. 91xj

not sure about 91 but I reckons your AW-4 have output speed sensor. I’d try look into tapping that for your speedometer.

2C84D796-53D9-4D7B-8E84-E322899229F4.jpeg

And have it run through Dakota Digital speedometer converter.

The downfall your speedometer will go wild when in low range. :laughing:

I have this in my 97 Ram 2500 with the NP271 swapped in. The 271 have no provision for VSS. I tapped into rear axle’s abs sensor. Work great.

Does your transmission have a gear or is it electric? If it is gear driven I doubt you’ll have a check engine light mostly because mine was messed up for a few days until I realized I needed a bolt tightened.

Does your transmission have a gear or is it electric? If it is gear driven I doubt you’ll have a check engine light mostly because mine was messed up for a few days until I realized I needed a bolt tightened.
My speedo sensor is on my np231 output housing.

not sure about 91 but I reckons your AW-4 have output speed sensor. I’d try look into tapping that for your speedometer.

2C84D796-53D9-4D7B-8E84-E322899229F4.jpeg

And have it run through Dakota Digital speedometer converter.

The downfall your speedometer will go wild when in low range. :laughing:

I have this in my 97 Ram 2500 with the NP271 swapped in. The 271 have no provision for VSS. I tapped into rear axle’s abs sensor. Work great.
Yeah. I just looked and there is a sensor in that location on my transmission. I wonder why there one on both trans and t case.

You paid big bucks for a new case and they didn’t give you a VSS option? Fuck that.

Anything else is going to be a royal pain and your jeep will probably stall out when you come to a stop. Cherokees rely on that VSS on the tail of transfer cases.

Yeah. I just looked and there is a sensor in that location on my transmission. I wonder why there one on both trans and t case.
Tell me about it.

Allegedly the one on trans is for trans’ operation, and the one on t-case is for speedometer.

My truck (47RE) have output shaft speed sensor too.

I found out the hard way right after I got my Dakota digital installed (not configured or calibrated correctly) that for some reason the trans priorized VSS over its own output speed sensor.

As soon as I start moving in my driveway, my speedometer fully pegged and the trans upshifted through all 4 gears and to top it off the TCC locked. :eek:
I almost drove into my neighbor’s yard across the road before it finally stalled.

My speedo sensor is on my np231 output housing.
So mechanical? You won’t have a CEL.

Just email MM and ask them for a new output. I’m sure they can make it in 37 weeks or more. With how much you paid I’d be asking for it to be custom made since it’s what you need and ordered.

So mechanical? You won’t have a CEL.

Just email MM and ask them for a new output. I’m sure they can make it in 37 weeks or more. With how much you paid I’d be asking for it to be custom made since it’s what you need and ordered.
I’ll probably just email them and see if they’ll send out the jb conversions rear output that I ordered.

Tell me about it.

Allegedly the one on trans is for trans’ operation, and the one on t-case is for speedometer.

My truck (47RE) have output shaft speed sensor too.

I found out the hard way right after I got my Dakota digital installed (not configured or calibrated correctly) that for some reason the trans priorized VSS over its own output speed sensor.

As soon as I start moving in my driveway, my speedometer fully pegged and the trans upshifted through all 4 gears and to top it off the TCC locked. :eek:
I almost drove into my neighbor’s yard across the road before it finally stalled.
Less fancy circuitry the better :vader2:

I have 2 vehicles that I am running the transmission speed signals through a DD box to feed the speedometer. It works fine and I have been running them that way for several years now.

CBBE6F54-D35D-41B5-A305-858FDBFF6D9C.jpeg
C1D08290-3505-4BF0-BDE2-15CD988B143E.jpeg
BC725076-0D59-4F61-BD99-BB9EF168AB99.jpeg

That outer bearing was pressed on. 🤬
The inner popped right loose with a brap of the air spike and a crow foot under the inner race.

Top Back Refresh