What's new

90 D350 getrag speedo issues

NDCjeepsmith

Red Skull Member
Member Number
Loc
SW Mo
Got a 1st gen cummins dually 2wd with the getrag stick... I really like this truck but gotta thin out the herd.. the speedo gears were chewed up in it so I ordered new ones. Driven and drive. 35t ... first issue is there are 2 cast indicators for the clocking of the housing. 180 degrees from each other. Which one do I line it up with???

Also no matter which one I do line it up with the housing won't sit flat. It only sits flat when the gear is not in it...

What is going on here? I'm assuming this is why the ones I pulled out were chewed up.

Old gears

Attachments

• 20220322_185210.jpg
    20220322_185210.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 8
  • 20220322_185222.jpg
    20220322_185222.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 7
You clock it based on the diameter of the gear. Basically, the markings on the housing are a range and the number of teeth on the gear fit in that range somewhere so that they mesh properly. Several articles and vids on the net for setting up the speedometer gear in various Mopar muscle cars and it's basically the same deal.

Yes I'm aware of that... that is what I'm trying to do but something isn't right. There are two marks on the case, not one, so which one to use? And the fact that the gear binds and the housing doesn't drop all the way in.

Notice cast marks at 1 and 7 o'clock.

What would make the gear and housing bind? Apparently something not meshing right.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220322-200053_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20220322-200053_Gallery.jpg
    90.3 KB · Views: 16
The aluminum housing (not pictured) that the shaft slides through should have markings w/tooth ranges that you line up with the markings on the transmission itself.

Yes they do... but the trans has two, not one marking on it. Still doesn't help with the fact that when rotated to said markings the gear binds and the housing will not seat.

Has anyone came across the two markings or a gear that will not seat?

Are the spacers on the tailshaft the same? If one is longer than the other it could be messing up the alignment. If not what else could be causing this?

Post a picture of the housing you have with all of the markings on it. With the hole being offset it is almost infinitely adjustable for any common gears.

Housing
20220323_084705.jpg

Sits correctly with no gear
20220323_084837.jpg

Doesn't sit correctly with gear. This is as close to flush as it gets. Other positions are worse or bind so bad I can't turn yoke by hand.
20220323_085029.jpg

Twankie... by the way, this isn't "almost infinitely" adjustable. There's only 4 positions it can be secured in.

Have you compared old & new gears? New one measure any taller and or it won’t seat into the housing as far as the old one will?

Got a 1st gen cummins dually 2wd with the getrag stick... I really like this truck but gotta thin out the herd.. the speedo gears were chewed up in it so I ordered new ones. Driven and drive. 35t ... first issue is there are 2 cast indicators for the clocking of the housing. 180 degrees from each other. Which one do I line it up with???

Also no matter which one I do line it up with the housing won't sit flat. It only sits flat when the gear is not in it...

What is going on here? I'm assuming this is why the ones I pulled out were chewed up.
I wonder if its not a mopar base.
Gm from that time frame and almost identical.

Old and new are the same demininsionally, markings are different...
20220328_205557.jpg

Doesn't mean the old was right, I mean it's chewed up for a reason.

Can already see distortion in the teeth with just hand installation and a few turns.
20220328_205622.jpg

Something ain't right...???

Still no clue but it seems this gear is too large. Idk why they'd make a housing able to fit up to 40 some odd teeth but a 35 won't work. Did some scrounging and get conflicting info. I started thinking maybe it's not the right tooth count... old was 35, new is 35. Majority of charts show to use a 32 with 29" tires and 3.55s

I'm going with that since I'm at 28.8 inches and 3.54. We'll see when it comes in, anyone have a diameter on a 32 tooth?

My 35s measure out 1-3/8, a 27 tooth is 1-1/4... anyone think this will work or it's going to have same issue?

Are there long shafts with shorter snouts? I think that could be another reason but idk

Top Back Refresh