What's new

9.25 Chrysler rebuild

Member Number
Loc
AZ
Need a little help where to get parts any advise on build. will be an economical rebuild. my first dodge.

81 dodge ram charger rumble bee.

chrysler 9.25 ring and pinion toast, has been this way for a while, gear teeth in the oil.
gCOmV4g.jpg

DV8KDTr.jpg

eastcoastgearsupply.com will have everything you need. The axle has a crush sleeve, but there is a crush sleeve eliminator for it. They have side adjusters like a 14b so no shims there. Elwenil will be along shortly to tell you how much he hates them and you should swap in a 60. While his hatred it over rated, since it looks to be on 35s or 37s a one-ton swap would make better sense than spending money on half ton axles, especially if those axles are still 3.23 or 3.55 geared. Also, that's not a RamCharger, it's a Power Ram. RamChargers were similar to Broncos and Blazers.

Duane

Agreed, not a Ramcharger and also not a "Rumble Bee", which was a moniker that came out 23 years later in '04 and '05 for a special sporty version of the 2WD 1500.

And yes, the 9 1/4" is a pile of shit in stock form, and not much better modified.

No hatred is overrated. :flipoff2:

A D60 swap is the better way to go in the long run, and would also eliminate the horrible wheels.

If you do waste time and money on the 9 1/4", research solid pinion spacers and over-torquing the side adjusters. Buy a FSM.

Get the black paint off the grille, it looks like a forestry truck.

I agree with Elwenil's 9.25" comments... its like throwing money at a 10/12 bolt Chevy diff.

if you gotta keep it 5lug, use a Ford 9".

eastcoastgearsupply.com will have everything you need. The axle has a crush sleeve, but there is a crush sleeve eliminator for it. They have side adjusters like a 14b so no shims there. Elwenil will be along shortly to tell you how much he hates them and you should swap in a 60. While his hatred it over rated, since it looks to be on 35s or 37s a one-ton swap would make better sense than spending money on half ton axles, especially if those axles are still 3.23 or 3.55 geared. Also, that's not a RamCharger, it's a Power Ram. RamChargers were similar to Broncos and Blazers.

Thankyou!

Well it sez rumblebee on the bed and ram on the fender.

Fire Chiefs truck , doing clutch and flywheel tomorrow.

Trail runner not a crawler, when I give it back it shall be as new.

I am not a dodge guy.

Thanks for the heads up on screw bearing cups.

Got it out and the carrier looks ok,

gonna do axle bearings and seals will apart.

Some suggestions here please, again this not a crawler or bogger.
xeEt6vh.jpg

This rumble bee shite is not a thing for this vintage. It's somebody re-decorating an old truck. :homer:

On my '93 dodge pickup (also not a crawler or bogger) I lowered and shackle-flipped the leaf spring hangers so I didn't have to stack blocks. Dodge tucked them way up high on all these trucks rather than use different positions for 2wd and 4wd.

Longer springs went in at the same time, and the ride improved.

Youll want to go to the junk yard and snag a pair of gm full size torsion bars for adjusting the side collars. And an 1-7/16 socket.

They aint great but ive only ever replaced 1 r&p in the 2-300 ive rebuilt. Hell i even stuck one in a 90s bronco because the 8.8 spun the tubes.

My days with heavily-arched leafs are over. Good luck.

I know what a PITA it is to pull a torsion bar, so I welded a couple big nuts to a chunk of 1/2" pipe instead.

Would a rear shackle flip, 2" lifted spring, 2 inch block give me the same height?
Any perferred dodge vendors?

Fire Chief bought me the tool for the side adjuster and the the crush sleeve eliminator kit,:smokin:

Yeah, again, no Rumble Bee. Your truck is either a W100 or W150, depending on options. Could be a Prospector, Custom SE, Royal or Royal SE. But no Rumble Bee and no Bumble Bee stripe on a D/W series, ever.

The square emblem would normally have a stamped and anodized aluminum plate designating the class and if it's an SE or whatever like my 450 emblems:

ZD6NLqo.jpg

And no, they never made a 1 1/4 ton Ramcharger either. Being a dealership Parts Manager has it's privileges.

Transfer case is a NP208, chain drive case with planetary low range. Decent case, but not able to handle a ton of abuse.

Transmission is a NP435, granny gear 4 speed. The tail housing should stay with the transmission on a Dodge. You separate the transfer case from the tail housing, not the tail housing from the transmission.

Avoid big dumb lifts, all they do is cause problem after problem. Stay moderate and keep your driveshafts happy and reliable. If you plan on going with 35s or larger, ditch the 1/2 ton axles as you are just putting lipstick on a pig. The brakes will be horrible, stock gearing is usually 3.23s or maybe 3.55s if you are lucky, both of which are woefully inadequate for large tires. Plus the D44 axles joints are pathetically small and turning the wheel in 4WD and letting out the clutch with the granny gear can pop them easily.

Tha
My hanger move/flip.... Using longer leafs:
Thank you.
If I can get this done by flipping the brackets, use existing springs and 1 4 inch block or 1 6 inch block, much mo betta than the 8" of stacked blocks.
No camper for this rig. light towing occasionally (quad trailer).
ride height needs to stay the same.
Not messing with the front this session.

mhtDaRk.jpg

Ordered

Duane

Ordered everything cept the solid spacer here, they were out of stock. Amazoned the solid spacer.
thx.

today re sealed the motor pan, pulled rear axle bearings and cleaned the housing. Right front lockout needs service, gonna do both while waiting for parts.

truck is a d150, 318 was replaced with a "360", 2 new flywheels, both with the wrong hole pattern.

W150. D is 2WD, W is 4WD. In some literature you will only see a "D" and "W" is not used, but most will recognize your truck as a W150.

You need a flywheel for an 11" clutch and balanced for an LA series 360, '72-'92. Magnum 360s are balanced different, 318s are balanced different. It has to be for a LA 360.

All flywheels are balanced. 318 and most forged crank engines are neutral balance, meaning they are balanced to themselves. 360s are cast crank engines and require offset weight, specific to the type of 360, in your case the LA 360. You need one specifically balanced with the offset and weight of the 360.

Note the holes drilled to lighten the flywheel on the heavy side of the crank:

50-3413_bottom__ra_p.jpg

Thank you, Fire Chief is chasing the correct flywheel, we will see what he comes up with.

Top Back Refresh