What's new

88 Samurai. What are my carb/efi options?

If you're going down the route of swapping engines for efi just go right to the 1.6L 16 valve and be done. IMO I wouldn't even waste my time and effort playing with efi on anything under the 16 valve unless you have the efi parts laying around.

Efi- go 16 valve.

Street rig that that gets itself into off camber scenarios off-roading and you have some coin to spend- Harley carb

Woods rig with cash to spend- I'd go propane all day.

Woods or street rig with no budget or you're cheap-3K kit

Unless or until someone could chime in with how the 3K does with serious off-roading I'm considering it budget minded only and probably great for a daily. Anyone?

Last edited:
If you're going down the route of swapping engines for efi just go right to the 1.6L 16 valve and be done. IMO I wouldn't even waste my time and effort playing with efi on anything under the 16 valve unless you have the efi parts laying around.

Efi- go 16 valve.

Street rig that that gets itself into off camber scenarios off-roading and you have some coin to spend- Harley carb

Woods rig with cash to spend- I'd go propane all day.

Woods or street rig with no budget or you're cheap-3K kit

Unless or until someone could chime in with how the 3K does with serious off-roading I'm considering it budget minded only and probably great for a daily. Anyone?

Like I said, it does great. I've had mine at every angle but upside down and it did great. The only time I remember it sputtering a little was when I dropped off a huge ledge and was sitting almost vertical on the front bumper. It still ran.l though. It was never a limitation doing shit I had no business doing in my rig.

Unfortunately, I can't compare it to the Harley carb 1st hand.

I'd agree with most everything else, except that track kick donors are getting more and more difficult to find. I'd say just go for the 2.0 since most people don't want the 2nd gens. I still see them for sale for parts for less than $1000.

Last edited:
Reactions: DMG
My rig had be nearly on its side with the Harley carb and it barely got a sputter.

Like I said, it does great. I've had mine at every angle but upside down and it did great. The only time I remember it sputtering a little was when I dropped off a huge ledge and was sitting almost vertical on the front bumper. It still ran.l though. It was never a limitation doing shit I had no business doing in my rig.

Unfortunately, I can't compare it to the Harley carb 1st hand.

I'd agree with most everything else, except that track kick donors are getting more and more difficult to find. I'd say just go for the 2.0 since most people don't want the 2nd gens. I still see them for sale for parts for less than $1000.
I agree with the track kick donors getting tough to come by but parts are much easier to get for them than the 2.0, correct?

Just got off the phone with certified machine. My samurai won't Rev much past 4k rpm with a load.

He said it sounds like I have junk in the carb and walked me through how to solve it. Super helpful guy. Definitely still happy with my purchase.

Long overdue update: I used a cheap Corolla carb and it runs great. I haven’t done much with it, just need to put the shifter boots on and nut/bolt it. Then drag it home and use it in my yard and the woods around my house

So I put a toy250 on my 1.0 zuke engine this summer. Ran great the first time out. O2 was near spot on for an out of the box carb on a smaller than intended application.
Yesterday I tried to go for a short rip on the fourth and it was pig rich. So bad I ran it dry and walked home.
Just wondering if there are any trouble areas with these ebay carbs that might cause mine to gulp fuel on its second ever drive.

86 suzuki G10A swapped into a Joyner 650
IMG_20220705_190026.jpg

Does anyone have jet suggestions for the 3k carb? Just put one on my Tintop.
EBE907F8-3AC9-4665-8A99-864FB480DD52.jpeg
81A679D8-1573-4B33-9345-191750D327C6.jpeg

Was that the turbo propane one?

My suggestion is buying it from Certified machine because they turned each carb for a 1.3 :flipoff2:

What's the issue?
Oh no. The turbo propane is my soft top. And if i was keeping the Tintop, it would be getting the same setup!

I bought the carb brand new for $70 shipped. Piss on spending $300 on one. 😁

The only issue I have with it is wot. Seems like the bowl runs dry. Guessing I need a bigger main jet.

Oh no. The turbo propane is my soft top. And if i was keeping the Tintop, it would be getting the same setup!

The only issue I have with it is wot. Seems like the bowl runs dry. Guessing I need a bigger main jet.

Will it not Rev totally out?

If the bowl runs dry a larger main jet would not help, maybe I’m misunderstanding. Sounds more like you need to look at the needle/seat/float.

Reactions: DMG

Maybe raise the float level or look at fuel volume/pressure.

Top Back Refresh