What's new
  • We'll try and work the KoH live feeds into the site again next week.
    If you're racing or part of team post up the Team, Car # and what races here so we can display them with the feed.
    --> POST HERE <--

88 Samurai. What are my carb/efi options?

Wuz-A-zuk

Red Skull Member
Member Number
Loc
PA
If you're going down the route of swapping engines for efi just go right to the 1.6L 16 valve and be done. IMO I wouldn't even waste my time and effort playing with efi on anything under the 16 valve unless you have the efi parts laying around.

Efi- go 16 valve.

Street rig that that gets itself into off camber scenarios off-roading and you have some coin to spend- Harley carb

Woods rig with cash to spend- I'd go propane all day.

Woods or street rig with no budget or you're cheap-3K kit

Unless or until someone could chime in with how the 3K does with serious off-roading I'm considering it budget minded only and probably great for a daily. Anyone?

Last edited:

YotaAtieToo

Thick skull
Member Number
Loc
Bonners Ferry, ID
If you're going down the route of swapping engines for efi just go right to the 1.6L 16 valve and be done. IMO I wouldn't even waste my time and effort playing with efi on anything under the 16 valve unless you have the efi parts laying around.

Efi- go 16 valve.

Street rig that that gets itself into off camber scenarios off-roading and you have some coin to spend- Harley carb

Woods rig with cash to spend- I'd go propane all day.

Woods or street rig with no budget or you're cheap-3K kit

Unless or until someone could chime in with how the 3K does with serious off-roading I'm considering it budget minded only and probably great for a daily. Anyone?

Like I said, it does great. I've had mine at every angle but upside down and it did great. The only time I remember it sputtering a little was when I dropped off a huge ledge and was sitting almost vertical on the front bumper. It still ran.l though. It was never a limitation doing shit I had no business doing in my rig.

Unfortunately, I can't compare it to the Harley carb 1st hand.

I'd agree with most everything else, except that track kick donors are getting more and more difficult to find. I'd say just go for the 2.0 since most people don't want the 2nd gens. I still see them for sale for parts for less than $1000.

Last edited:
Reactions: DMG

woods

Yawp.
Member Number
My rig had be nearly on its side with the Harley carb and it barely got a sputter.

Wuz-A-zuk

Red Skull Member
Member Number
Loc
PA
Like I said, it does great. I've had mine at every angle but upside down and it did great. The only time I remember it sputtering a little was when I dropped off a huge ledge and was sitting almost vertical on the front bumper. It still ran.l though. It was never a limitation doing shit I had no business doing in my rig.

Unfortunately, I can't compare it to the Harley carb 1st hand.

I'd agree with most everything else, except that track kick donors are getting more and more difficult to find. I'd say just go for the 2.0 since most people don't want the 2nd gens. I still see them for sale for parts for less than $1000.
I agree with the track kick donors getting tough to come by but parts are much easier to get for them than the 2.0, correct?