What's new

88 Samurai. What are my carb/efi options?

DMG

Red Skull Member
Member Number
I was given a beater samurai a while back that needed a clutch and some other stuff. The friend that gave it to me started to put a clutch in it in his sisters barn and a bolt broke so he gave up. Now the clutch is in and it runs and drives. My prior Sami’s had carb issues off-road. What are my options? Cheap and easy, hopefully as this is just going to be used in the woods around my house and for going to the lake in summer. It won’t be registered but will get the orange triangle on the back.

I swear by the 3K for the price. I buy the Amazon ones and cobble together the swap kit because I'm cheap.
The only time I have trouble with my 3K is when I try to pretend I'm an Ultra 4 driver through the woods. For some reason after hitting bumps at speed it won't idle right.

Certified Machine's kit is great, I've installed it on customer rides that I didn't think should be cobbled, worked like a charm.
I've also ordered the "5K" and "Toy250" carb and there is no difference in the aftermarket stuff.

Reactions: DMG
+1 for 3k. After driving one with it, I was sold, I put one on mine and it's way better. It's not like a huge jump in total power but a small bump in low end and large increase in mid range.

Also, it's cheap, is a cake install (taking the old junk off took the majority of the time) and cleans up the intake a LOT.

We need every 1/4hp we can get :laughing:

Thanks guys. I will look into the 3k.
20211230_170509.jpg

What did you guys do for the fuel inlet on the 3k?

Came here to say this. SamuraiKodish runs one in his and it’s a sweet setup, I’ve seen it run completely on its side a number of times.
yawp. It was simple to rig up too. Rig never ran so good.

What did you guys do for the fuel inlet on the 3k?
It’s a really fine thread, something like 12mmx1.0. I found a 1/4” steel line with the correct thread tube nut.

Oh, fuel. That reminded me.

If you run a Harley carb, you NEED to somehow restrict fuel flow. My carb was just overflowing with fuel from the mechanical pump. A fuel filter from a....cherokee or grand cherokee along the fuel line was the fix. It has a return on it and I fed it back to the tank.

I need to stay out ot YotaAtieToo's thread so i dont get any ideas

20220104_134114.jpg

:laughing:

I need to stay out ot YotaAtieToo's thread so i dont get any ideas

20220104_134114.jpg

I would be weary of atv sized tracks on a Sami, those almost look like the utv version, but hard to tell. If you want to do it, let me know I can give you some pointers. The only real cost is the adapters and maybe a lift. I even have an extra set of the drive flanges. :flipoff2:

I've been running a harley carb for over ten years. made a ghetto 90 degree adapter that bolts to the stock intake, its probably not the most efficient but its works so i haven't decided to mess with it. for the fuel supply i'm running an electric pump going through a cheap fuel pressure regulator. I will say it runs like absolute shit until its heats up. I was considering an efi swap but i'm just too cheap.

Another vote for the toy 250 carb. I got a new one from national carborator and built my own throttle cable bracket. I followed a YouTube guide on the install and it works great.

I’m running it on a 1.6 now with a Holley electric pump

Another vote for the toy 250 carb. I got a new one from national carborator and built my own throttle cable bracket. I followed a YouTube guide on the install and it works great.

I’m running it on a 1.6 now with a Holley electric pump
Is this the same as the 3k corolla carb?

How does the 3k carb compare to the Harley carb off-road, off camber/inclines? I've had good luck with the Harley carb and I know it'll run sideways :lmao:. How about the 3K? Have a woods only rig that's been sitting and getting very little hours because it has a Weber, enough said.

How does the 3k carb compare to the Harley carb off-road, off camber/inclines? I've had good luck with the Harley carb and I know it'll run sideways :lmao:. How about the 3K? Have a woods only rig that's been sitting and getting very little hours because it has a Weber, enough said.
I just received the 3k so I will let you know as soon as i get a chance to install it and drive.

Last edited:

I think the only time it was a little hard to keep running was sitting on my front bumper. It still ran through. I'm not sure you could ask for much more from a carb.

The 3k kit i posted is less than a Harley carb alone. It bolts up like it was meant to be there. Uses stock air cleaner and everything. The Harley is sweet too and may be a little better for angles and turbo capabilities. But bang for your buck, the 3k is awesome.

I remember something about geo metro EFI when I had one 10+ years ago. Saw this at a junkyard recently. Tiny TBI injection.

20220106_142127.jpg

that isnt a 4 cylinder…

Well fuck, you expect me to count higher than I have teeth? :flipoff2:

I realized it wasn't. I had a 1.0 3cyl for a bit, was going to be a kid buggy engine. I could easily lift it. :laughing: what was sweet though is that it's easy to mount power steering pumps and regular alternators to, unlike something atv based.

He just mentioned something about a metro EFI conversion so I figured it was someone using stuff from a 1.3 metro.

Well fuck, you expect me to count higher than I have teeth? :flipoff2:

I realized it wasn't. I had a 1.0 3cyl for a bit, was going to be a kid buggy engine. I could easily lift it. :laughing: what was sweet though is that it's easy to mount power steering pumps and regular alternators to, unlike something atv based.

He just mentioned something about a metro EFI conversion so I figured it was someone using stuff from a 1.3 metro.
Could you just swap the whole 1.3 metro engine?

Could you just swap the whole 1.3 metro engine?

Probably, but you may run into some wierd shit being they're front wheel drive. I know the distrbuter sticks out the back of the head and will most likely hit the firewall. Not sure if the Sami one will swap or not.

I kinda want to drop a turbo 1.0 in mine now :laughing:

Top Back Refresh