What's new

86 Runner body onto 92 excab Pickup frame/drivetrain

dntsdad

Central California
Member Number
Loc
Central California
I really want a Runner for the seating, storage, sleep, etc.

I have an 86 Runner that is sitting here. no drivetrain in it that I was going to 3.4, duals, blah blah

I also have a 92 excab pickup that is pretty much built up. Already has 3.4 swap, duals, axles, chromos, etc.

I am thinking to just swap the Runner body onto the pickup.

now I know that "anything is possible with a plasma, grinder, and welder" but has anyone done that or know of a write.

I am sure its been done a bunch of time and I can't see it being that difficult but trying to be eyes wide open before I leap

Honestly, the biggest appeal is that the truck is already smog inspected through the ref and good to go. I really am just dreading that whole process again on another build of the 4runner. Swapping the body takes all that off the table and its what I want

Last edited:
The front 4 Body mounts will line up, the back 6 on the 4 runner you'll have to make yourself. You will also have to lower or relocate the pickup fuel tank.

sounds like a lot of work, especially given the differences in wheelbase...

Not worth it IMO, I'd swap the drivetrain/suspension before I swapped the body.

Extra cab wheelbase is 18.5 inches longer than the 4Runner. I’m contemplating shortening it to 4Runner length on my 94 xtracab.

Not completly the same, but I went from an 88 standard cab shortbed chassis to a 94 4runner body. Build is on pirate, the motor swap is over here now though. Link to pirate thread is in the motor swap thread over here.

Obviously you'll have wheelbase issues to deal with. The frame rails are more similar than most think though. Most likely you would just need to shorten up the rear of the frame. You might have to change out the horseshoe crossmember and the fuel tank. The fuel tank mounts lower on the 4runners and the top may be a different shape to fit the floor of the runner. I just don't know how different a 1st gen runner body is from a pickup chassis. I want to say the 2nd gen pickup chassis are pretty similar to the 3rd gen pickup chassis and they might be close to the 1st gen runner chassis. I had issues because the 2nd gen runner has some unique differences from a 1st gen runner.

Either way I can tell you that front 4 body mounts line up just fine(firewall and grill mounts). Use those to locate the body relative to the frame and then transfer over the other 4runner body mounts or make your own.

Then you have to deal with wiring, but if its all toyota its not too bad. Mine was complicated since I essential swapped my 22re into a 3.0runner wiring wise.

Registering it will still be an issue though. It will be easiest to register it as the 4runner, but that won't work for your smog issue. If you put truck plates on it then CHP is going to have a field day with mismatched VINS and license plates. You will basically need to deal with the DMV and tell them you had to put a different body on this chassis and see how they handle it. It may become specialty construction at that point with a new VIN and plates. CHP will need to inspect it. In the end though it should still be smogged as the truck chassis.

It is possible, but not easy. Its a project and you have some things to think about.

Kevin

Have you thought about just making a walk thru cab? Just cut the back of the cab out? It seems like that would be easier and you'd still keep the full pickup bed of storage space. I would have done that to mine, but car seats require more doors for access.

Kevin

Combine extra cab with back door-back half of the 'runner. So still 4 doors, but with the extra cab window in between. :)

Yeah, its first gen so 2 door, removable top, which is the biggest appeal for it. Plus I just like that way they look

Oh yeah. I had the 1992 in my mind for the 4runner.

OK, so just move the rear wheel wells rearward, to gain a bunch of departure angle and keep the existing wheelbase. (really I'm just trying to make more work for you somehow) :D

There was a build a while (years) back where someone took the top rails and fiberglass top off a first gen 4runner and grafted it onto a 3rd gen pickup. Saves the title/smog debacle and would be interesting to see an xcab with that setup if you don't mind sheet metal work.

Top Back Refresh