What's new

85 4runner never ending build

AK_F250

Red Rocket
Member Number
Loc
Alaska
I'm going to go back in time about 5 years here, but I'll let everyone know in advance that it's been sitting untouched on the lift for 2 years. Don't get your hopes up for updates :flipoff2:

IMG_1545.JPG
IMG_1547.JPG

I bought this in the fall of 2015 from a military kid. It wasn't running, and he was done spending money on it. It came up from California, and had new all-pro suspension under it. The dude he bought it from had a folder of receipts for all of the work that had been done over the last 10 years. 4.10s in the diffs, new in the box 5.29s and ARB's in the back. Got it for 4K, which is a steal here.

So it had a new ecm. I did a little troubleshooting and found that it was fried, and that a sensor (I can't for the life of me remember which one, under the intake) was shorted to ground. Used ecm out of a celica that my friend had laying around and it was up and running!

IMG_1546.JPG
IMG_1548.JPG
IMG_1550.JPG

I grabbed a TG winch plate and bent up some form of front end protection. Warn M8000 stolen off another project and some 37" iroks on the cheap from a friend and I was good to go.

IMG_1551.JPG
IMG_1552.JPG

I put a HP front diff in and an IFS rear axle, both with 5.29s and ARB's

IMG_1558.JPG
IMG_1559.JPG
IMG_1562.JPG
IMG_1561.JPG

IMG_1560.JPG

Duals with marlin 4.7s in the back and a custom crossmember. RCV shafts and a pile of ARP studs went in at the same time.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_1570.JPG Views:	0 Size:	126.4 KB ID:	82507
Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_1572.JPG Views:	0 Size:	100.3 KB ID:	82508
Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_1571.JPG Views:	0 Size:	95.9 KB ID:	82509
Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_1573.JPG Views:	0 Size:	96.4 KB ID:	82510

Swapped random shocks I had for other rigs on to it. Ended up with King 2.5 smoothies out back and fox 2.0 up front. I also put 3rd gen 4runner bump stops out back (trimmed after this picture). Got 37" treps and walker beadlocks.

IMG_1578.JPG
IMG_1579.JPG
IMG_1580.JPG

IMG_1577.JPG

Hydrolocked and bent a rod. Did a rebuild and figured I should make a low pro snorkel.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_1581.JPG Views:	0 Size:	85.1 KB ID:	82524
Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_1582.JPG Views:	0 Size:	114.8 KB ID:	82525
Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_1583.JPG Views:	0 Size:	95.5 KB ID:	82526
Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_1585.JPG Views:	0 Size:	122.7 KB ID:	82527
Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_1584.JPG Views:	0 Size:	94.7 KB ID:	82528

2.5 air bumps and the current shock configuration. It seems to work well and I can run at 60 with 5psi in the tires and if feels like I'm on a pillow but in control.

Finally mashed the AP springs so I went to a 2" OME RUF

Edit: I destroked the bumps to 2.5

Last edited:
IMG_1586.JPG
IMG_1587.JPG
IMG_1588.JPG
IMG_1589.JPG
IMG_1590.JPG
IMG_1591.JPG
IMG_1592.JPG
IMG_1593.JPG
IMG_1595.JPG
IMG_1594.JPG
IMG_1596.JPG
IMG_1597.JPG
IMG_1598.JPG
IMG_1599.JPG
IMG_1600.JPG
IMG_1601.JPG
IMG_1602.JPG

The roof was rotted out around the windshield, and not having a cage was already sketchy enough, so I cut the roof off and built one. Bonus, my buddy had a sunroof lid at his shop.
I managed to snake it behind the dash. I only have defrost, but that's fine for what I do.

DISCLAMER- The cage isn't done, I need to figure out the back seat situation before I triangulate everything-DISCLAMER

IMG_1608.JPG
IMG_1607.JPG
IMG_1609.JPG
IMG_1611.JPG
IMG_1610.JPG
IMG_1612.JPG

And where I am today. Supercharged 3.4, URD 7th injector, R150 with TG adapter and Marlin dual adapter. Ruffstuff 8" housing with fzj80 guts and an updated version of the high steer I made for a friend. Mines going to us heims so I wont fuck with the partial TG steering arm. At the rate I'm going the hellfire knuckles will be available again so who knows, I might go with them.

Looks like a clean solid build did you have a build thread before looks familiar or could be the green tree stickers

Looks like a clean solid build did you have a build thread before looks familiar or could be the green tree stickers

I don't remember if I ever made one for this on pirate. I know it was on a now dead local board. I do have a lot of rigs with those stickers.

Happen to have a .dxf file for the TC mount that you'd share?

nice build. Awesome assortment of parts. I sooooo want that supercharger

Happy to see this 4Runner is still alive and out there! I grew up with the dude you bought it from, I've always been bummed cause he got rid of it and never got another truck after!

Good build so far :smokin:

Last edited:
Happen to have a .dxf file for the TC mount that you'd share?

nice build. Awesome assortment of parts. I sooooo want that supercharger

I had one, but one of my hard drives crapped out and I think I lost it. Easy to replicate though, I'll work something up. It uses body mount bushings, they're great for T case mounts, soft but limited on travel.

good looking build

Thanks Man

Happy to see this 4Runner is still alive and out there! I grew up with the dude you bought it from, I've always been bummed cause he got rid of it and never got another truck after!

Good build so far :smokin:

Holy shit that's crazy! Greg Anderson? I have a pile of paperwork from at least 05-12 with his name on it.

Holy shit that's crazy! Greg Anderson? I have a pile of paperwork from at least 05-12 with his name on it.

Not Greg, I knew the military kid you got it from haha, Kevin, he's a quiet, tall and lanky Air Force mechanic that moved up to AK from my town in CA.

I sent him some pictures of the 4Runner now, hopefully it will get him to buy another!

Not much of an update, but apparently my buddies shop put me on the list for hellfire knuckles in 2019. I either forgot or he forgot to tell me. So 16+ months later and these showed up :smokin:

C57BBFB1-0EB0-4A76-A21E-3B6CC647BC14.jpeg

I like toyotas, used to drive one, but sold it before I ever built it into anything. I'm used to wheeling with jeeps. That's the longest transmission I've ever seen, what all is going on there? :homer:

I like toyotas, used to drive one, but sold it before I ever built it into anything. I'm used to wheeling with jeeps. That's the longest transmission I've ever seen, what all is going on there? :homer:

The angle makes it look weird because you can’t see the rest of the front drop part of the case. 5 speed with a doubler, the red adapter is separating the range box with 2.28 gears and the rear case with 4.7 gears.

Top Back Refresh