What's new

83 pickup that went full buggy,

burris/RMR is amazing. we want to get back. next time we will do 5 days on trails instead of 3 3 is just not enough and maybe thats because we did not know the park that well. but holly chit it is amazing.

Looks like you found most of the fun spots. Did you try going left of the tree coming out of the rock garden? It's about impossible anymore

We went to Kansas Rocks 2 weeks ago. We've been to Tuttle a few times. I think I prefer Tuttle to Kansas Rocks, though we can't ever seem to go there when it doesn't rain 5 inches while we're there:homer:. I know the consensus after this trip was if we're going to Kansas, we're probably going to Tuttle from now on. Tuttle seems better even when wet.

Where did you stay while there? I stayed at Fancy Creek last year with the family. It was an easy drive to the trails.

Just so you know, where you are going up the ledges in the first part of the second video a friend of mine did it in his basically stock Tracker on 31" AT's last year about 30 feet to the east:flipoff2:. He didn't make it look as good as you, though. Right where you're at one of our group flopped his YJ on it's side trying to get the tires up on the ledge. He saved the :beer: but not his pride.

We went to Kansas Rocks 2 weeks ago. We've been to Tuttle a few times. I think I prefer Tuttle to Kansas Rocks, though we can't ever seem to go there when it doesn't rain 5 inches while we're there:homer:. I know the consensus after this trip was if we're going to Kansas, we're probably going to Tuttle from now on. Tuttle seems better even when wet.

Where did you stay while there? I stayed at Fancy Creek last year with the family. It was an easy drive to the trails.

Just so you know, where you are going up the ledges in the first part of the second video a friend of mine did it in his basically stock Tracker on 31" AT's last year about 30 feet to the east:flipoff2:. He didn't make it look as good as you, though. Right where you're at one of our group flopped his YJ on it's side trying to get the tires up on the ledge. He saved the :beer: but not his pride.
We stayed at fancy Creek to that’s an awesome legit campsite great views everything like you said easy drive down the highway probably not supposed to but it worked it was so wet this weekend that we can barely do any climbing at all I feel like it all climbed up them ledges had it not been for just a little bit of grease below the surface but yeah I was too steep and the rug down below it was crazy I would’ve loved to seen that 31 inch tracker do it better than awesome

I'd love to share a video of the Tracker going up that ledge but he rammed it up so fast I didn't have a chance to grab a video. Would you believe it's always broken?:lmao: This led to another guy in our group who didn't make it up previously with his TJ to jam it up there minutes later while I was dropping down to go up myself. He made it, but launched the front end up so hard we all figured it was going over backwards. He usually babies it, but took it as a personal challenge that the Tracker made it an he didn't. You never get the best videos.
The ones I do have you can find below if you're interested:
IowaOffroader
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCnU6WRpfJgKInMzi1rltnSg/videos
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC7dEhqvn2mvC7P-_sQrQ61w

i forgot to mention i did break the cap on my front 1410 ujoint. all i can think of is i got into some rocks and one got inside the end and got the snap ring to break loose and caused the cap to come off one side. shit ton of rock rash all over front yoke, i mean all white. hahaha. we stopped for a break and was looking over drive line and noticed missing one cap, changed it out and no biggie. but holly cow a wow factor. never had that happen

i added some body panels and set of nerf bar steps. they are angled out to kick me off trees and rocks. i have had a tree get stuck between the front of the rear tire and the back of the cage. what a pain in the ass. and not 100 percent sure this will work like i want so if it dont i will cut it off and try again. doing the dimple dies take a bit of time. hahhaha
2021-08-21_21-19-03_677.jpeg
2021-08-23_20-01-41_084.jpeg
2021-08-21_19-03-37_161.jpeg
2021-08-21_19-03-41_439.jpeg

good am

so i have done a couple updates.

brake lights first time in over 5 years having them work
high steer arms
idle adjustment bracket
bash bar for PSC ram, might be to much of a chin so thinking of reworking that.
grill from fj80
bad ass rear drive shaft
still want a hood bar to protect RAD.
IMG_4388.jpg
IMG_4390.jpg
IMG_4394.jpg
IMG_4399.jpg
IMG_4402.jpg

my bad, i have not done anything here. and this is as close to a build thread i can muster up. i will make a effort and capturing what i did in 2022 and whats in store for 2023.

some high lites for 2022 were adding the turbo to the 22r with propane. fixed the dash panels and other little nickel and dime things.

but for the most part it did awesome at every park. :beer:

first thing first, this thing works like a champ when i am crawling, but when it comes to mud, or slick hills i find myself hunting for another gear, or loosing out on power or both so i decided it was time to put the turbo on the old 22r. that has to help right???

well it did make a huge difference. it woke up the factory engine like no other upgrade ever did. i could now launch really good, i had plenty of snort on all but the biggest of hills or muddy trails.

this was a huge win for the buggy, but still found my self looking for that simple low end torque you get off idle with a v8. the bigger issue is the places we wheel the most, maybe once a year we go to a park that offers the extreme straight up technical rock crawling where all you need is control, not HP or torque. the rest of the year we hit parks that are muddy rocks, or hills, or something of the sort. if i was out west i would stay 22r all day long with this combo. but i realized i need more of a generic setup that will work good all around, so around labor day 2022 i fully made the decision to go 5.3 LS th350 205 with magnum case. to make this a well rounded good enough at all trails, and not so much focused on one style. lol
IMG_3577.JPG
IMG_5029.JPG
IMG_5032.JPG
IMG_5033.JPG
here are a few pics of the process

next it was time to finish the inside up, this was my dash, rude and crude at best, i needed something better. but this is not what i am good at. but it worked

1667915864324.png

Think about some kind of firewall for the next upgrade. Would hate to read you got hurt in a fire or something. And shit can happen, fast.

so i changed to this and it was a challenge because by not having a even a small plan back at the start i was redoing alot of tabs and bars. uggggg

strip it all down
1667916114619.png

starting to take shape....

1667916180235.png

and finished basically, turns out i did not take many pics of the inside because it is OK, it works, there is room for improvement for sure.

1667916349229.png

I like the intake you made. Some pretty nice TIG on the bung welded in by the turbo.

The new update with the "dog house" is clean. I'm assuming that's a 22r still in front though right?

Like the drink holders.

Do you find that the diamond plate floor gives you enough grip even when your boots are muddy?

Edit: switch/fuse panel is cool.

1667917378383.png
next i knew i needed a hood of some sort. i saw on the rock lizard page or somewhere . but at any rate i loved it.. its so simple but super effective i even had a buddy turn down some aluminum stock into 9/16 inch pins got to save weight you know ha ha

but know it at least protests the turbo and rad. but now i dont see as well lol
1667917014535.png

1667917066098.png
1667917378012.png

I like the intake you made. Some pretty nice TIG on the bung welded in by the turbo.

The new update with the "dog house" is clean. I'm assuming that's a 22r still in front though right?

Like the drink holders.

Do you find that the diamond plate floor gives you enough grip even when your boots are muddy?

Edit: switch/fuse panel is cool.
tig not mine i got that down pipe from ebay, it had bungs and v bands clamps all in one so i cant take cred...

but thanks

1667917378383.png
next i knew i needed a hood of some sort. i saw on the rock lizard page or somewhere . but at any rate i loved it.. its so simple but super effective i even had a buddy turn down some aluminum stock into 9/16 inch pins got to save weight you know ha ha

but know it at least protests the turbo and rad. but now i dont see as well lol
1667917014535.png

I dig the speed holes and ability to raise the hood. Good design.

so i changed to this and it was a challenge because by not having a even a small plan back at the start i was redoing alot of tabs and bars. uggggg

strip it all down
1667916114619.png

starting to take shape....

1667916180235.png

and finished basically, turns out i did not take many pics of the inside because it is OK, it works, there is room for improvement for sure.

1667916349229.png
absolutely love that i can lean over to the passenger side and see the front right wheel, or my passenger can see the knuckle and what ever is hitting or about to hit so awesome

I dig the speed holes and ability to raise the hood. Good design.
the speed holes where more an effort to keep down the vibration honestly, and i still have to put rubber down at each bolt location because the annoying drone of vibrating panels gets on my last nerve, enough that i will stop mid trail and figure something out to make it stop. lol

thank by the way, i too love the hood , wish i could claim credit but i copied someone else. but i like to open it up and check oil, change a belt or what ever and did not want to always have to unbolt something and move it

Top Back Refresh