What's new

8" stock rear tech???

Clb

another toyota from P.R.K
Member Number
Loc
First 50 club
Issue of 8mm studs and diff retention.

Looking at the old bible and I think I have decided to do 10mm bolts to keep it metric.
I like the idea of threading the housing, and running the bolts inside as usual (but No welding?) So I can replace the bottom ones that get fubared...

Since I put 35's on this thing has spit a gasket once, I then safety wired it.
Then it broke a stud at the housing.
2 outta 4 trips to Con its getting old.
I have Dusy-Ershim planned next month and I aint dickin with it anymore.

So any feedback from the guys who have done this route?
The long term report are thin .
So " discuss ":beer:

Brb

Bolts going from the inside out seems to fix this. However, on the bottom 2 or 3 that take all the abuse I was worried about them getting chewed up and having to cut stuff to pull the diff. I welded a nut inside the housing to double the amount of threads, then just run regular bolts from outside in. That way I could just toss them when they got chewed up too much.

That rear went through a lot of abuse with 35-39s and I never had any issues with the diff hardware.

I went a similar route without welding in the nuts on the bottom ones. Just a threaded stud with a nut on the inside and outside. Just never got around to tacking the inner nuts. Worked well

Reactions: Clb
Ya just 12.9 cap bolts in from inside. I only had a problem with stockers after i sheered five teeth off the ring gear and still drove home. I never oversized the studs. 38s locked.

Top Back Refresh