What's new

8.8 IRS noise and diagnosis

So I pulled another 0.005 to 0.0022 PS and things get worse. more drive side high/toe, more coast high/heel.

I have following pinion shim options
0.030 (0.032 too much)
back to 0.027

Last edited:
Don't worry about the toe to heel location as much, that's more a factor of backlash which you mostly just end up setting to book spec anyways.

On your pattern with .027" pinion shim, it's a little interesting that the drive (convex) was showing shallow while the coast (concave) was still showing slightly deep. Just to confirm, the pinion had greater than zero preload while running those patterns?

.027" seems like the best compromise between both patterns. Somewhere around .029"-.030" might have a drive pattern that is nearly "perfect", but would most likely sacrifice on the coast side a little bit more

Thanks for the help. This is 2nd gear setup for me and last was 15 years ago.

Yes I interpreted conflicting results. I think 0.027 is the best option at this time.

I put the 0.027 shim in and fit crush sleeve eliminator for 21 in*lb pinion preload. Backlash at 0.010, same pattern. With carrier rotational torque is 28 in*lb, so +7 for carrier with 0.006 added to both sides after zero lash. reinstalled and back on the road.

Top Back Refresh