What's new

8.1L/496 Tech

I just whack them with a ball-peen hammer. One tap to get it started, then one good whack to drive them in. No pipe, socket, or other stuff needed. They won’t tear as long as you hit them square.

I guess you could use a block of wood or something. They’re rubber boots, they aren’t going to deform from being smashed down.
I think when i pushed em in the metal cup that the rubber is formed around cut the boot because when I pushed the pin in the grease oozed out around where the rubber meets the cup.

My 8.1in my 2002 Workhorse chassis RV went into limp mode just when I started up the grade from the desert on I8 yesterday. I have a phone based code reader and it said Bank 1 oxygen sensor. I tried to reset the codes, but it didn't help. I knew I wasn't going to find a oxygen sensor for it anywhere near where I was so I continued on. 25 MPH up the grade, no power except at full throttle. Made it home. Used a lot of fuel. Ran every stop sign in the neighborhood.

I know there is a RV parts website that has Workhorse parts and a chat function. I gave them my VIN, they gave me a part number at $112 each (has 2). I cross referenced the part number with AC Delco while I was chatting as they share part numbers. Found them on Amazon for $38 each. I asked the tech if they were the same. He replied that one is Workhorse, the other AC Delco, so yes. I thanked him and ordered off Amazon. The Amazon comments also stated they are a direct replacement for Workhorse sensors. I'll keep the old bank 2 sensor as a spare. The sensors and plugs are easy to access under the coach.

Swapped out the oxygen sensors. Cleared the codes. Let it idle for 30 minutes, took it for a drive. Runs great. It had Denso sensors in it, unknown if they are OEM. I'm impressed with that motor. In limp mode, 4500RPM up a 8 mile grade with the AC on and it never got over 210*. 18,000lb RV with a 3500+lb toad.

Thanks for checking in.
The rubber lines is the first thing I changed.

I haven't driven the car since December. I need to fuck with it more but since my buggy is down and I don't need to tow, it's sitting.
Get the brakes fixed yet? I just replaced my pads and redid the calipers about a month ago. Left side started grinding on the way home this morning so apparently something is binding. Ive got new rubber coming this weekend and Im contemplating buying new calipers. Im going to see if I can get the rotors turned or ill just buy new. Its starting to piss me off.

I thought I did.

Last Saturday it almost caught on fire as one of the brakes locked up again.

Soooo, no :laughing:

I don't know exactly where is the issue, but I have an intermittent signal from the front right ABS sensor. Sensor and bearing are new. Brakes are new. You hit a pothole, ABS light comes on, no signal, hit another pothole, ABS light goes away, signal is back. Front right corner is also where it locks up.

No idea what's going on.

Get the brakes fixed yet? I just replaced my pads and redid the calipers about a month ago. Left side started grinding on the way home this morning so apparently something is binding. Ive got new rubber coming this weekend and Im contemplating buying new calipers. Im going to see if I can get the rotors turned or ill just buy new. Its starting to piss me off.
I havent read too much of this thread just here and there. I have a 2008 4x4 2500hd with 6.0.

What pads did you go with?

I put on some Delco rotors a couple years ago. Needed to replace pads a couple months ago. I didn't have any squeaking going on before the new pads. So I put new pads on, wire wheeled the sliding pins and greased em. Not many miles down the road....squeaking. Pissed me off lol. So I pull my rotors and have them turned. Not many miles down the road...squeaking.

So I'm gonna try new pins,boots. Beyond that if that doesn't fix it, I guess new calipers. The piston could be sticky?? Would be irritated if the pads are just shit quality and causing squealing. But I've done plenty of brake jobs and re used pins and had no problems but this fucker is pissin me off. It's not my DD so that's nice. Truck has 215k on it....so I guess calipers r kinda old.

I had the powerstop rotors and pads. Bought another set of PS pads last year. A month ago I said fuck it and just went with the duralast gold. I have new hoses coming and im gonna put new calipers on in case its the pistons sticking. Im done fucking with them every few months.

I thought I did.

I don't know exactly where is the issue, but I have an intermittent signal from the front right ABS sensor. Sensor and bearing are new. Brakes are new. You hit a pothole, ABS light comes on, no signal, hit another pothole, ABS light goes away, signal is back. Front right corner is also where it locks up.

No idea what's going on.
My ABS starting to turn on and off in similar fashion minus the dragging brakes. Wonder if module going bad?

I tend to use duralast gold brakes on trucks. Will get one for my 8.1 and see how itll do. Besides brake pads are lifelike warranty. Rotor are 3 years I think?

I tend to use duralast gold brakes on trucks. Will get one for my 8.1 and see how itll do. Besides brake pads are lifelike warranty. Rotor are 3 years I think?
Back in the day a bunch of guys on race-desert and gofastbroncos swore by Duralast gold for the outer pads, fancy brembo race shit for the inner pads. :laughing:

Supposedly gave a good blend of street and desert performance.

My ABS starting to turn on and off in similar fashion minus the dragging brakes. Wonder if module going bad?

Cashier told me only warranty now is on defects.

Back in the day a bunch of guys on race-desert and gofastbroncos swore by Duralast gold for the outer pads, fancy brembo race shit for the inner pads. :laughing:

Supposedly gave a good blend of street and desert performance.
Wtf. I must've missed that thread on race-desert. I wouldnt even think of doing something like that:laughing:

Stuck go at different time with someone else or another location. I dont have issue swapping anything limited lifetime warranty

I never had an issue before but it was the second one that said it and they said it was a new policy. I knda know one of the guys there Im gonna see if he can swap em.

P1125, Accelerator Pedal Position. Truck went into Limp mode. Able knock on the pedal sensor as well as pull and let go so it whacks back to spot. Gets it going ok fine. $110 Autozone with next day shipped to store. 200k on the truck.

I thought I did.

No idea what's going on.
I was gonna buy new calipers but I would have had to order them and I was irritated so i said fuck it and tore everything down again. Driver side was sticking like a mother fucker. I did buy new pads rubber and some steel bore brushes chucked em in the drill and honed out the pin sleeve.

I put new rubber sleeves in and new slide boots on very carefully, greased everything really well, and put new seals on the calipers. Then I got interupted by my buddy for some of his inane bullshit, and beer which always makes his bullshit easier to deal with.

Got back to it and put everything back together and realized I forgot to put the new rubber lines on. So after about 15 minutes of a childlike tantrum involving me and language that would make demons blush, and the obligatory chucking of shit around the yard and at the side of the shed. I said fuck it once again jumped in the burb and proceeded to bed in the pads and irritate the fucking asshole tailgating me for the past 10 miles in city traffic. FTR he was tailgating me before I started "bedding" the pads.

Anyways its been just over a month and no noise, no sticking, everything seems copacetic.

Put new calipers on front, flushed brake system. No mo squeekin. I guess I could have bought new pistons, pins etc and rebuilt my calipers to save $25 but it really doesn't take long to swap them out. Piston was sticking on mine

I still have the problem on mine.
ABS module throws an intermittent code "lost speed input sensor Ft Right Wheel" (which is the corner that sticks) when I stop the car.

Something is going on in the ABS module I'd wager.

Just put a new MC in. Old one was leaking inside the HB. Tons of rust and crap in there.
Cleaned up the mess, installed the new MC and flushed the brake fluid in the whole car too.

Curious thing that happened after changing this :

My trailer brake controller is now ramping the brakes up and down based on how hard I press the pedal. Before it was only time based (IE apply brakes and gain ramps up over time). I have no idea how these 2 things are connected. Mind blown, this is great !

Should have done that a long time ago, this truck has never stopped so well !

I drove the truck around 400 miles since the MC change, no more wheel locking up problem. I hope the issue is fixed for good.

Now the ABS issue is still there, that's next on my list of things to fix.

I saw a post earlier about the speed sensor and hub assembly. Was the one you installed a complete hub assembly with the sensor?

What brand(s) are they?

ACDelco everything. MC, hoses, UB you name it.

It had a brand new speed sensor in it.

It's super weird. When i stop the car, ABS light pops up. Drive over 30mph (roughly), it goes out.
If I look at the data stream with the scan tool, you can see the Right front wheel speed just goes to 0 when you stop the car and it never pops back up until you're back up over 30mph ish.

Weird.

I had a some what similar issue many years ago. Out of frustration, I ended up taking my truck to a shop with a more powerful scan tool. Turns our, the hub assemblies from O'Reilly were the culprit. I replaced them with Timken or AC Delco and the problem stopped.

Good luck, I was pretty frustrated with my issue.

I already posted the pic previously but that's what it does

2d7ccefc-2461-4c47-b070-4732bce9920b-jpeg.480559

Not sure if Workhorse shares the same ABS sensors as GM. Do they just pull out of the calipers? If so, if you clean them up, lightly grease the sides and reinstall sometimes it will cure the light. My RV ABS light comes on sometimes after a hard brake application and stays on for a few days. I've just learned to ignore it.

It's a Silverado 2500HD.

Don't know shit about workhorses :homer:

That UB and ABS sensor are new (from 2 months ago and I had the same issue with the "old" parts).

Ive had bad sensors in new hubs out of the box at work. Parts guys toss em around at lunch or drop em off the roof to see which ones faster. More than once had to swap the old sensor in to the new hub. Also have seen the connectors go crusty and had to solder/ shrink wrap the wires direct

but why would both sensors do the exact same thing?

but why would both sensors do the exact same thing?
I guess i must have missed that detail, seems odd that signal is lazy to show up but doesn't drop out going down the road, what would be the next step to prove out the wires from the sensor plug to the abs module with a headlight for a load i guess? With the harness disconnected from the sensor and the module. If the wiring is good from end to end and the sensor is good either the tone ring is loose in the new hub or for sure its the abs module at that point?

What do you probe for a load ?

I thought ABS sensors created their own voltage.

Top Back Refresh