What's new

'77 KZ650, The Free Z

TrikeKid

Junk Hoarder
Member Number
Loc
Spana-graham, WA
The first rule of project bikes is find/buy/trade until you have all the project bikes. This '77 KZ650 fell in my lap for free over Labor Day weekend. My boss bought a house that came with a hoard of bikes and cars. He bought most of the good stuff to flip before buying the house and the remaining stuff. This bike and a Concours that someone had converted into an ATC were left behind. I went up to look over the remaining hoard and check out the alleged "Kawasaki three wheeler in the garage" and ended up being presented with the title for this thing.

This was a "rat bike" I guess, like a rat rod, where you make it look shitty on purpose? 59 Caddy tail lights, rubber rat glued to the tank, diamond plate side covers and headlight bracket... just a fuckin mess. It also appears a drunken ape tried to remove some excess brackets and tabs from the frame, gonna have to patch/replace some tubing where it's ground right through. On the up side, the thing has a title and all I had to do was stuff a hot battery in it to get it to fire up. Ran like dog shit but it did run 10-15 minutes after I drug it out of the truck.

Only pic I have before I started ripping the ugly shit off, right after getting it loaded up.

PXL_20220904_000000166.jpg

Sunday morning I cleaned the carbs and drained the gravy out of the tank, one carb appears to at least have had a float bowl replaced or something, way cleaner than the rest. Ended up pulling them back off to properly rebuild them, will probably have them off one more time to change jetting. Quick clean up did let me get a test ride down the block.
PXL_20220904_184421698.jpg

Ripped the stupid tail lights off and some of the sketchy wiring, got me to here. Seat and tank are both off something else but don't go together, I'll end up making a seat. It appears to have Sportster rear shocks installed to drop it, I bought some used stock ones on eBay but the more I look at it the more I don't think I'll end up using them.

PXL_20220905_014004216.jpg

Snagged some much better bars off the Concours deathtrap three wheeler thing, lopped the coil mounts off the frame so I could lower the tank and knocked out a headlight bracket to bring the light down and in. Front brake hydraulics are fucked and the master conveniently doesn't fit on these bars anyway so I'm inclined to do the proper chopper thing and delete on that as much as my inner "I don't wanna die on a Kawasaki" tells me to rebuild them. Going to find a smaller throttle housing and revisit the front brakes. This is how it sits now, didn't take much to knock a good bit of the ugly off it. That right side cover is the last bit of really tacky stuff to eliminate.

PXL_20220911_021104821.jpg

Burnouts in due time, I'm too busy hacking.

Yanked this bullshit spaghetti mess out tonight, the panel the starter relay and the reg/rectifier were mounted to I'm pretty sure was part of some kind of appliance since it has the nice kinda vinyl grain stamped right in the tin. Bike is now fully rid of the diamond plate, house wire and wire nuts. I'm gonna dig around here and find some tin to make an "oil tank" to hide all the electronics and the battery under the seat.

PXL_20220913_014132728.jpg

Filled a few holes in the frame and got the coils back mounted to the frame. Just welded some flanged nuts on the frame for them to bolt up to. Plug wires are integral to the coil on these so that kinda limited where they could be without buying either different coils or splicing plug wires. This was the most expedient free/shit already in stock solution.

PXL_20220914_020808950.jpg

Swapped on a generic Emgo dirt bike throttle today to get rid of the bulky stocker. I would've kept the original if someone hadn't gutted the start and headlight switches out of it but without those, it was needlessly bulky. The "push" cable for the stock throttle was frayed all to shit anyway, but I was able to put a different end on the original pull cable and reuse it.

PXL_20220917_221215845.jpg

Also hacked and hooped the rear of the frame. The cafe-racer craze means you can buy a hoop for 30 bucks on Amazon and have it the next day. They come way long, I wanted the kick up to clear the tire but it was immediately apparent that there wasn't going to be any way to use the bends as delivered.
PXL_20220917_221347573_2.jpg

So, I hacked just the end hoop off, which leads to tire clearance problems of course. Also put two nice dents in it trying to slightly straighten the bend so it would meet the frame but oh well, it's not a show bike.

PXL_20220917_223730297.jpg

Made a couple relief cuts and gave it a pull to get the kick up I wanted and burned it in. Hoop welded pretty nice for whatever kind of stainless it is, had more trouble with paint and shit coming up out of the frame tubing than the hoop. Need to come up with a way to finish off the shock mounts but that shouldn't be too big of a deal. Going to knock the old battery box tabs off then I can build a seat pan

PXL_20220917_224803229.jpg

Last edited:
How do you plan to fill the gap between your cafe racer grab bar fender, and the frame?
Also, photo of the gap after cut and bend?

How do you plan to fill the gap between your cafe racer grab bar fender, and the frame?
Also, photo of the gap after cut and bend?
You mean the gap below where the shock mount is hanging open currently? I need to shape it a bit more then plate it still. Needed the hoop in place before I could do that.

The gap from the cut and bend is welded up now. Still needs ground back.

PXL_20220918_031936837.jpg

Knocked the old battery tray brackets off the frame and got the rough shape of the seat pan. Considered doing this from fiberglass but I don't have that much cloth on hand right now, found a sheet of ABS under the bench that ought to work just fine.

Clamp and heat
PXL_20220918_220502729.jpg

Trace... poorly
PXL_20220918_220510161.jpg

Jigsaw basic shape. I need to fix some tubes on the frame (see giant hole in the tube below the seat pan) that the PO fucked up before I put tabs on. Once it's bolted down I'll tune up the shape with the grinder. Tried both types of foam i have, One is stiff but will give me the low/thin shape I want, the other is way soft, probably going to go with the less comfortable option for aesthetic reasons.

PXL_20220918_222916477.jpg

Glued some of the harder foam I have down, gotta shape the foam with a grinder anyway, might as well do the pan and foam together. Ordered a yard of vinyl, going to see if I can get a cover on this without having to learn how to run a sewing machine.

PXL_20220919_015921249.jpg

Went out and messed with this thing a little. Found these Scott grips while cleaning out my dad's motorcycle trailer the other day, pretty positive these were a door prize at a flat track race we went to when I was a kid. The country of origin seems to back up their age.

PXL_20221106_001830205.jpg

PXL_20221106_001904466.jpg

Welded up the holes in the frame where a bolt was jammed through to mount the tank previously and welded some slightly less hack mounts of my own on.
PXL_20221106_001847531.jpg

Any other updates?
Been shitty and cold out lately so I haven't messed with this in a couple months. Had a nice day to do some things so I started another project instead of working on this. Need to haul it out to my mom's where I can work on it inside, no room in my garage. I'm real bad about jumping from shiny new thing to shiny new thing.

Top Back Refresh