What's new

7.3L Gurus Needed...Truck Running Issues

Its easy to test injector o-rings by hooking shop air to each head at the HPOP oil hose port.
Be careful when disconnecting though because you will get douched.

Thats prob a good idea to do, just to confirm its not an o-ring. I suppose you could do the same thing with the fuel rail. I have a hard time accepting an oring as the primary issue though, since it is an intermittent issue.

What are you doing for tuning? Im assuming you have a chip to match those injectors, have you tried running the truck w/o the chip installed?

Im beginning to wonder if this isnt a PCM/IDM issue. I had the PCM fail in my 96, and it did some wacky stuff and made it run like crap, only to suddenly come right back to life and run great again.

Well, an update.

It was Cylinder #2 O-rings. The bottom two were shot.

Replaced all 8 injectors O-rings with ones I know are Alliant from dieselorings.com, and all is good so far.

In case anyone is curious, I have a much longer thread here with testing, logs, etc.:

I take it the o-rings got damaged at install sounds like not a lot of miles since the new injector where installed. Also what fuel additive do you use?

Pretty much called that at oil in the fuel post on april 14.

Glad you fixed it.

I take it the o-rings got damaged at install sounds like not a lot of miles since the new injector where installed. Also what fuel additive do you use?

Maybe? I'm pretty anal retentive on things, but could very well have messed it up.

Used dielectric grease this time, and was able to get them all to seat using my weight and the back of my hand, which was a nice change.

Still haven't driven it much, but will commute with it sometime this week and next for checks.

Maybe? I'm pretty anal retentive on things, but could very well have messed it up.

Used dielectric grease this time, and was able to get them all to seat using my weight and the back of my hand, which was a nice change.

Still haven't driven it much, but will commute with it sometime this week and next for checks.
I had a couple o-rings go bad after about 20k on them they did appear to be cut but lasted a few years guess I got lucky because the truck died in my driveway. I also remember when the ultra low sulfer fuel came out the owner of a diesel shop recommended using the ford fuel additive I used it for a few years then started using the power service stuff from walmart or a pint of two stoke oil I always have some in my garage. Thanks for keeping us updated good to hear you got your truck up and running.

You really should be able to push them in by hand.
Was the hold down bolt loose?

I had a couple o-rings go bad after about 20k on them they did appear to be cut but lasted a few years guess I got lucky because the truck died in my driveway. I also remember when the ultra low sulfer fuel came out the owner of a diesel shop recommended using the ford fuel additive I used it for a few years then started using the power service stuff from walmart or a pint of two stoke oil I always have some in my garage. Thanks for keeping us updated good to hear you got your truck up and running.

Yeah I use power service off and on, and sometimes a little two stroke oil. Reminds me I need to pick up some more stuff, thought about trying the hot shot stuff.
You really should be able to push them in by hand.
Was the hold down bolt loose?

Eh, from reading on enough installs before doing mine, many aren't...and take a little extra oomph from a rubber mallet or dead blow (not enough to do damage). My cups are the Riffraff Stainless ones, so no old worn junk possibly being the issue. I used liberal amount of Rotella T6 last time, to where it was slightly dripping off, and some were still a bit of a PITA to get fully seated.

All bolts were torqued to spec, multiple time before valve covers went on. Any bolt under the valve cover got checked, hell even the glow plugs torqued to spec. No loose hold down bolts, all injectors checked out with a level (none popped out slightly).

I did hot torque the bolts this time, with some needing an entire extra turn or so to hit spec.

Top Back Refresh