What's new

7.3 IDI gurus step inside

Fwiw
There's stories of idi pistons running embedded glowplug heads out there.
IF ( big if) the piston and cyl aint fubar, he could put a head on it

Fwiw
There's stories of idi pistons running embedded glowplug heads out there.
IF ( big if) the piston and cyl aint fubar, he could put a head on it
This is where we're at. If my series of events is correct, the ticking was the pushrod clattering on a valve that was no longer held in place, (I found the keepers and they're all smooth on the inside) and the valve didn't completely drop until after he stopped the engine. Then it wouldn't turn over after that due to the interference.
It's a long shot, but possible.

I had a pair of heads years back, think I sold them for 50 bucks and threw in the cam and crank for free... musta been 5+ years ago :\

Still got pistons in the scrap barrel if you want a single one that is iirc .020 over I can dig through and find the nicest one

This is where we're at. If my series of events is correct, the ticking was the pushrod clattering on a valve that was no longer held in place, (I found the keepers and they're all smooth on the inside) and the valve didn't completely drop until after he stopped the engine. Then it wouldn't turn over after that due to the interference.
It's a long shot, but possible.
Don't reuse the valve if that is the case :p
the head falls off the stem like 20k miles later, after they romance the pistons

I've seen shit break on shutdown, and be locked up after you try to start it up....
I wish ya Good Luck this is the case:smokin:

Fwiw
I had a bud wit a 6.9 he put right at 500k on that thing towing a tractor around, long live the idi

Those IDI’s were overly popular around here many years ago. And many still around. From the pics, looks like someone ran gas engine oil. That’s why the sludge is so bad. And using ether with tired batteries is why the valve failed.

Reactions: Clb
Those IDI’s were overly popular around here many years ago. And many still around. From the pics, looks like someone ran gas engine oil. That’s why the sludge is so bad. And using ether with tired batteries is why the valve failed.
Yes they were. Eureka is where I was working when I did the heads on the shop truck for a weeks vacation.:grinpimp:

If the idi is anything like the powerstroke, you aint pulling the pan with the engine in the truck. There's a big gay chassis crossmember in the way.
You can on the 90s Fords with the Powerstrokes, don't know about the newer Superdutys. The trans has to be removed though.

If the idi is anything like the powerstroke, you aint pulling the pan with the engine in the truck. There's a big gay chassis crossmember in the way.
I pulled the pan on my 6.9L in the frame. I just loosened the motor pounts and used a crane to lift the engine as high as I could. It is tight, but it can be done.

Top Back Refresh