What's new

6mm ARC

Looks like a perfect round for hunting with kids. For awhile I’ve thought that a 100 gr bullet doing 2,500 FPS or so would be ideal, which looks like this does from a 16” barrel.

wow another wildcat ar15 round

That was the other half of my thought, however when Hornady gets behind marketing something it seems to be fairly successful. Wasn’t the 6.5 Creedmoor just a redundant .260 and destined to be dead in a year? :laughing:

If they keep making ammo and a few companies come out with AR barrels, there are no real worries about it being obselete if it doesn’t end up being popular in factory rifles.

Even if they quit making ammo, it can be loaded from 6.5 Grendel brass apparently, and 6mm bullets are common. It’s the barrel that’s the big deal.

Last edited:
That was the other half of my thought, however when Hornady gets behind marketing something it seems to be fairly successful. Wasn’t the 6.5 Creedmoor just a redundant .260 and destined to be dead in a year? :laughing:

If they keep making ammo and a few companies come out with AR barrels, there are no real worries about it being obselete if it doesn’t end up being popular in factory rifles.

Even if they quit making ammo, it can be loaded from 6.5 Grendel brass apparently, and 6mm bullets are common. It’s the barrel that’s the big deal.

Yeah, how'd the 300 Whisper marketing go for hornady? Lol

6.5 creed wasn't built for a small frame AR so the comparison here pretty dumb. That cartridge thrived with the long range guys who couldn't shoot and manage recoil of the 30 caliber rounds and we're shitty at reading wind.

But hey, another AR wildcat round to mistakenly clog up 5.56 barrels

Looks like a perfect round for hunting with kids. For awhile I’ve thought that a 100 gr bullet doing 2,500 FPS or so would be ideal, which looks like this does from a 16” barrel.

Yeah, someone else thought it would be perfect too. That's why they invented it 100 years ago. The .250-3000 and .250 savage.

Yeah, someone else thought it would be perfect too. That's why they invented it 100 years ago. The .250-3000 and .250 savage.

Um isnt that the same round? And dont they usually hit about 3000fps? And isnt it an AR10 size round? Kind of a lot different.
Dont get me wrong its a great round. I have two 99s one .250sav and one .300sav.

Um isnt that the same round? And dont they usually hit about 3000fps? And isnt it an AR10 size round? Kind of a lot different.
Dont get me wrong its a great round. I have two 99s one .250sav and one .300sav.

Yes, they are the same round but typically true 250-3000 ammo is an 87 grain doing 3000fps. The 100 grain bullets do 2800 out of 24-26" barrels. Out of an 18", probably 2650 fps.

But no, not an "AR10 sized" round, actually. Only 3mm longer case than 5.56. but it definitely won't fit in the AR, though it might be similar sized to the 6.5 grendel.

Here's a picture, left to right, 5.56, 250 savage, 308.

IMG_20200606_211635.jpg

Yes, they are the same round but typically true 250-3000 ammo is an 87 grain doing 3000fps. The 100 grain bullets do 2800 out of 24-26" barrels. Out of an 18", probably 2650 fps.

But no, not an "AR10 sized" round, actually. Only 3mm longer case than 5.56. but it definitely won't fit in the AR, though it might be similar sized to the 6.5 grendel.

Here's a picture, left to right, 5.56, 250 savage, 308.

I know its smaller than a .308. Its very similar to a 6.5cm, which is also a ar10 platform. The point of the 6arc is to use the ar15 platform.
I agree its stupid or at least unnecessary There are a dozen other cartridges that already fit the platform that give similar performance. Hell for that matter why not just use 5.56 with 77gr bullets, or the 6.5 grendel?

I know its smaller than a .308. Its very similar to a 6.5cm, which is also a ar10 platform. The point of the 6arc is to use the ar15 platform.
I agree its stupid or at least unnecessary There are a dozen other cartridges that already fit the platform that give similar performance. Hell for that matter why not just use 5.56 with 77gr bullets, or the 6.5 grendel?

My comment had very little to do with AR compatibility as I responded to a post about 100 grains at 2600 fps that's great for kids to hunt with. Kids can hunt with something other than an AR. They have been for decades.

well as for the ARC that seems to be the entire point that it fits an AR15 platform? They said it was requested by a military group so can see why anything that doesn't fit the AR15 platform would not be acceptable?

My comment had very little to do with AR compatibility as I responded to a post about 100 grains at 2600 fps that's great for kids to hunt with. Kids can hunt with something other than an AR. They have been for decades.

I agree, I’m actually not a big fan of AR’s for hunting, though they are legal here with 5 round mags. For young kids though it’s sort of hard to ignore just being able to move the stock as they grow until they are old enough for a bolt gun, rather than buying multiple stocks and chopping them up or using the spacer systems.

There arent exactly many off the rack rifles still in production that are chambered for the .250 Savage either, being able to buy a $200 barrel and $100 bolt has its benefits.

Last edited:
How is this any better than the 6.5 Grendel?

Higher BC and SD when comparing the 100 ish grain options, as well as varmint class bullets available. The Grendel doesn’t really have the ass to make good use of the heavier 6.5mm bullets for hunting IMO.

ARC will work in an AR15 upper with proper barrel of course, and a specific magazine. I'm not interested in ARC, but I am having a 6GT bolt gun made.

Top Back Refresh