What's new

6L90 park problem

Blacksheep10

Member Number
Searched, didn't find in any threads. 09 silverado 3500 6.0, started sounding like the park pawl was tickling the drum when in reverse, has gotten louder, and now will not move in reverse. I've searched a bit, my terms must suck. I've found where the rivet in the end of the park rod wears out and bullet comes off and applies park early. Not finding vids of how to replace rod while trans is in and fully assembled. Hoping anyone has some advice/vids/anything. How far down am I tearing this thing to put a stupid park rod in.

Best pic I could get, you can see the edge of the ramp under the pawl while in reverse.
IMG_1223.jpeg
IMG_1222.jpeg

Resolution to this, for posterity, new park rod from amazon. You pull valve body down, pull roll pin keeping shift shaft in with side dykes (or weld a nut on and slide hammer down), pull roll pin keeping rooster comb on shaft, pull shaft out enough to get comb off, pull park rod backout of bore. Then shaft slips off comb, put new on and reverse order. Only bitch with valve body was the 4 rubber seal set in the middle needs to be in the trans and not fall to floor while bringing VB up to it. Could have used some auto trans assembly grease/lube to stick in there, but we made it work.
Problem arises from rivet in the end of the park rod wearing out and bullet on the end being able to push too far rearward and engaging park early. New rod supposedly has a harder rivet

The biggest trick was getting somebody to come over and do it, I just had rotator cuff surgery so I only have one arm and can’t wrestle a valve body overhead
:laughing:

Top Back Refresh