What's new

6L80 gurus needed

Leadfoot21

Red Skull Member
Member Number
I’ve been on the hunt for a 4-door or slightly big enough 2 door muscle car. I’ve always liked a sleeper and have been on somewhat of a prowl for a PPV Caprice . If I picked one I am looking at up with a bad trans and planned to HCI it with full bolt ons etc what is necessary to keep a 6L80 together ? We usually have 10 experts for every topic here and I’m assuming we have some transmission guys too . I called “my” local go-to for rebuilds and was given a price on a rebuild but when I told him my plans he mentioned a transgo shift improvement kit but seemed uninterested in building it beyond that which concerned me . Help? Convince a t-56 lover to go auto :beer:

What's your question?

What hp/tq levels are you going for?

Most 6l80E problems under power are converter related.

What should be improved or is recommended for say 500hp or less the idea is to build more power as I go but trans would be built first … if they’re usually converter related what converter would you go with without spending a fortune ? Car is out of state I would be towing it home potentially even looking for someone/somewhere to rebuild it between here and there .

What should be improved or is recommended for say 500hp or less the idea is to build more power as I go but trans would be built first … if they’re usually converter related what converter would you go with without spending a fortune ? Car is out of state I would be towing it home potentially even looking for someone/somewhere to rebuild it between here and there .
I use Revmax or CircleD for converters.

The stock trans is installed from GM behind 600+ HP engines. The trans issues Ive seen are in 100K mile converters.

The trans go shift kit isn't a bad idea, but not really needed since your requirements can all be done with a tuner now. Tells me your builder doesn't know what you need, which is why he doesn't want to do it.

Ray is old !! He said he would install whatever I bought him but that most of what I’d find online wasn’t needed and that if I got a converter he would knock a couple hundred off his price . He said if you want it to “shift real hard “ this won’t do that but it’ll firm it up . He’s very old school . But he’s rebuilt hundreds of trans for our fleet over the decades and my true testament is the two 48re’s in our Cummins service trucks with 300k on them chugging along !

Well, I agree with him to a point. Line pressure can be set in the ECM/TCM, for many variables, like harder shifts.

You need a stock rebuild, a good converter and a tuner that knows what he's doing.

Most of the issues with this trans are tune related, not hard parts.

That is good to know . There are a lot of LS tuners around here …. Too many actually and a lot of opinions as to whose best . So revmax or circle d ?

LS tuners and 6LXX tuners are 2 different things.

Some are great at both, some are good at only one thing.

Few people on the board have had good success with Zero G

Thing is, I've seen ZL1 and CTSV converters with issues. It's the same, converter, BTW.

That's why a billet front plate converter is helpful.

I saw that they’re the same . I’m not too far from Chicago picking up my new to me caprice 😎

I saw that they’re the same . I’m not too far from Chicago picking up my new to me caprice 😎
Stay the fuck away from anything that could be considered "Downtown Chicago" this weekend the natives will be beyond restless

Stay the fuck away from anything that could be considered "Downtown Chicago" this weekend the natives will be beyond restless
I went to Bloomington to get the car and stayed in Lincoln before heading home I was warned the same thing before we left . We had a great trip no issues ! But, I did not buy the car I created this thread for . I had been bidding on caprices on gov deals. They were bringing what I consider too much money 75-8500 needing work and completely unknown and rough interiors and none of the people selling them could answer a single question including idle hours . For reference I sell vehicles on the same site regularly and I go above and beyond for the people trying to purchase ours . But anyhow I ended up picking up a 2013 with 129k it is very clean ex state trooper car that’s been buffed and waved and appears to of had the steelies powder coated with new tires and the beauty rings and the windows smoked out . I love the look . It has kooks long tubes with solo performance full exhaust, CAI, BTR stage 2 n/a cam , ls7 lifters , hardened pushrods , high volume oil pump , platinum springs and titanium retainers , blah blah al the good stuff plus the trans and engine are dyno tuned etc …… I got about 20mpg on 93 octane on the way home on e85 she flies but eats the fuel but at half the cost I’m not sure I care . It’s got a crap ton of power but I think the tune needs a lot of work . Hardly any vacuum at idle brakes go stiff and it’s stalled on me a few times which is embarrassing while trying to pump gas next to a fox body drag car at the gas station 🤣 … Anyways she’s a blast to drive and gets way more attention than I ever imagined . The car itself I like way more than I thought the trunk is HUGE , the back seat is huge and easily fits 3 car seats it has a massive amount of legroom , with the full cop console I kind of like it ! Has the armrest and whatnot and as much as I’d read about the cheapness of the interior it’s nicer than most things I’ve ever owned .

Last edited:
The stalling could be your converter. They don't unlock correctly, with a different cam.

The stalling could be your converter. They don't unlock correctly, with a different cam.
That’s what I think is going on . It’s happened coming to a stop after a long highway stretch and changing gears to park doesn’t seem to do it in reverse but when it does it , it acts up the most going into drive . It’s more embarrassing than anything actually very embarrassing .

10k . I love the thing . Other than a little tuning clean up it is a great little setup and it really catches people off guard it’s a really clean one . It would blow the doors off my first gen cts-v for sure . FYI guy was asking 14,500 and got needy for cash when he found the corvette he wanted

I put a video in the FNLC thread . Here you go .

Attachments

• 5B72C46A-8D63-48EF-9149-B6C5259C990E.jpeg
    5B72C46A-8D63-48EF-9149-B6C5259C990E.jpeg
    215.9 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_1961.MP4
    22.4 MB
I’m looking to buy hptuners but of course they’re on backorder like everything else right now . If anyone has a mpvi module they want to part with I’m ready to buy !

Not sure if you’re on ls1tech but I see them pop up for sale quite often

Top Back Refresh