What's new

67 BSA basket case

KrustyTJ

Red Skull Member
Member Number
Loc
Michigan
I've had my dads old 1967 BSA a65 lightning in my garage for a few years now time to get it back on the road. It was parked sometime in the 1970's for a engine rebuild and never put back together. When we moved back from Arizona in 1991 my dad brought it back to Michigan it was in his brothers garage in Ohio. The bike at that point in time was a rolling frame with the engine still removed but had been rebuilt and all the other parts in milk crates and boxes. My dad stripped what was left of the bike down to paint the frame , forks , and rebuild the wheels. The frame and forks had been blasted and primed when I was in high school a few years later he picked up a 1966 BSA a65 lightning all original running and riding bike. That was around the time I had a FZR 600 which I stored in his garage and I'm pretty sure he rode my bike more than his anyhow I remember asking if his 67 was going to be a parts bike he said nope he would put it back together someday.

I get a call from my dad saying his friend is going to help put his 67 BSA back together at this point I live in Anchorage and I have not seen or remember what state the bike is in. He sends some pics its still a primer frame , forks and a pile of parts in those same milk crates and boxes. So over the next few years he sends me pics of the bike painted frame , new rims and tires. Then some of the engine apart then back together I'm guessing this all happens between 2008-2013 the wife and I move back to Michigan in 2014.

The day of my nephews graduation party summer of 2017 the bike shows up at my parents house all together it was over at my dads friends house for paint and reassembly. At that point I was told all it needed was oil put in the engine and forks and to give it a look over then fire it up. Well that didn't happen I found a few things that made me not to sure of starting the bike up once I got it to my house. My uncle also mentioned a few things at my nephews party about the bike I would say the bike was loosely assembled but it did look good.

I'll post some picks and details of where I'm at with the bike later tonight.

This is where I'm at with the bike now we took my engine from the 66 he gave me a few years ago (I'm slowly going thru that bike ) and his engine to a shop north of Grand Rapids that does the roller bearing mod to the case halves it gets rid of the plain bearing issues and he also improves oiling to the crank bearings. The shop that has our engines is pretty backed up and we decided to just wait it out instead of just doing a basic rebuild ourselves to both of them or sending them somewhere else and waiting there for just a basic rebuild. The engine in his 67 should have serviceable parts in it I'm a little unsure of how it was assembled and my 66 engine did run good in the late 90's early 2000's but it was developing a oil leak at the case halves and got parked.

I've been looking for another bike on FB marketplace for about two years I sold my 01 Monster 750 when we left Anchorage I came across a add for 4 BSA 650 engines for sale in Milwaukee all have been rebuilt and seem to be in decent shape from the add. I called the shop selling the engines they got them from a local shop that closed and had only done leak down checks and general look over also there was only two engines left my dad picked one up last month and I've collected some new parts since then.

So far I've cleaned up the engine it was dirty and had shipping taped stuck to the primary and timing side covers they didn't polish up as good as I'd liked but it's just a temp engine until we get the original one back then it will get shelved for a spare. Here's a list of the new parts I've picked up so far that most guys do for upgrades to these old bikes.

AMAL 930 carbs with a few different jets
Triumph fuel tank petcocks and adapters
Wassel vape electronic ignition
6v ign coils 2 each with new brackets
Podtronics regulator/rectifier
Lucas main factory wire harness for 66-67 a65
Plug wires and two set of plugs different heat ranges
spin on oil filter with adapter need to fab or figure out where to mount

F7191DA1-66E0-474A-A701-D23C5F613F07.jpeg
510B37B9-E68D-48F9-A5BD-71EB4F4F2D2B.jpeg
21EB5CA2-EA67-445C-9297-72492914AC60.jpeg

I have the engine resting in the frame today there's some incorrect hardware that I'm figuring out it's where the engine mounts to the frame in the rear. The front and bottom mount hardware is original and all there for the most part. I believe this engine is from a 1965 650 it has the 6v alternator 3 wires and the primary engine cover is from that year. It also has the oil feed to the rockers from the engine not the oil tank which had come out in 1968 but I think someone just updated on that with the newer oil feed adapter from 68. This weekend I'd like to get the engine mounted and the wire harness changed out the original one is ruff. I already removed the points and installed the the timing side parts for the electronic ignition when it was on the bench still need to hook the wires up once the new harness is in. I also plugged the oil tank rock feed outlet and put new oil lines on the engine oil feed adapter. From looking down into the cylinders the pistons show .020 over and the walls look good should have it running in the next few weeks.

I got a few things done this weekend the engine is in and mounted with the correct size bolts I only had to shorten the one large bolt. The oil lines installed put oil in the oil tank also the gear box and picked up some oil today for the primary drive side of the engine. There are three different types of oil in this engine what the book lists are no longer available in my area so I went with 20-50 in the engine , 10-40 in the primary drive just regular valvoline for motorcycles from auto parts store and 80/90 gear lube in the gear box. I removed the old main wire harness and started routing the new harness in the new harness will need to be extended for the ignition key and I will have to also modify it for the electronic ignition and new rectifier.

I need to get the coils mounted and figure out where I will be putting the new rectifier and the box for the ignition. I started on the coils last night they are 6v coils and smaller than the original 12v coils. The new brackets I ordered for the 6v coils are different than the 12v ones so I made some spacers out of small tubing and a drop bracket out of some plate last night. Then I got the coils temp mounted in there original locations and checked if the side panels would fit good and I think the carbs and air filters should clear. I took the coils out today and primed the spacers and bracket before heading into work. I didn't take many pics except for the rear engine mount hardware I'll post those below kind of makes you wonder what some people are thinking good enough for the auction or trailer to the bike show.

The bolts on the right side of the picture is what was installed after the bike was painted only one of the four bolts is original I used that original bolt and three bolts that are on the left side of the picture I had to shorten the larger bolt but the other lengthens where good so it’s now a solid mount in the rear.

Also those are the engine to frame mounting plates above the bolts in the picture
70E90296-18F0-43D4-9116-8BF23D13826E.jpeg

Last edited:
I got the coil mounts painted a couple days ago and I installed the coils today The side covers fit good and there’s no oil under the bike since I added oil earlier in the week. I’m going to start on getting the wire harness modded and installed this weekend I think the ignition box will go between the coils and the new rectifier under the seat where the zeder diode was mounted.
07015FAE-83C1-4052-B5EC-C561375C9581.jpeg

Last edited:
I started on the wire harness this week I should have the wiring done this weekend. I mounted the ignition box between the coils and mounted the rectifier box on the left side of the frame below the seat it wouldn’t fit under the seat where I originally wanted it but here it will get more airflow across it the zip ties are temporary ish for now.

I also picked up a new battery this week, took the new carbs apart they have a 190 main installed , cleaned and lubed the chain today. Tomorrow will be a garage day with some riding in the yard with the kid. Here’s a few pics of what I’ve done so far on the harness.
45871BB7-B8C7-4A73-8D62-6778D5F5103E.jpeg
58131CC3-88F6-489C-8D63-FBC205A35A5B.jpeg
095E2104-EF06-4A98-8FFE-CBB5F04DF79E.jpeg

Here’s where I’m at this week the wire harness is mostly done just a few things that needed capped off and secured. I have lights working and new plug wires installed with spark. I was going to install the carbs then I realized there’s no studs in the head for the carbs also I’m missing a clutch cable so those are on there way should be here next week. This weekend I’m going to swap the mains in the carbs and get the fuel tank ready to install I have triumph petcocks for that also. It’s getting down to random small stuff now before it’s ready to start up. Here’s a pics from last weekend the second one is the pickup that replaces the ignition points.
DB0CAAE9-B5C4-4A90-82FA-D83E8F643B1A.jpeg
7B74F20F-ABC6-401A-85EE-255024A847EB.jpeg
52495CDA-4C53-4BB8-9DEC-D2922FB9B987.jpeg

I put the studs and carbs on last week then found out I needed different throttle cables. I also didn’t like the wide bars that are on the bike I put the bars from my 66 on and decided to order the western USA bars they are higher than the bars that I took off but lower than the bars off my 66. The handlebars, throttle cables , choke cable plugs and new brake lever I ordered showed up yesterday the new throttle I ordered should be here today. I’ll put the new bars on tomorrow and see how I like them and get this ready to start up still need to clean the tank also here’s a pic with my 66 BSA bars installed.

I have to restart my phone to post pics kinda weird but whatever I also had to tweek and adjust the rear fender I’m not digging how it lines up with the rear wheel but it seems close to my 66 I double triple checked clearance’s and hardware it just is what it is basket case bike it probably should have been parted out years ago lol
8D5C569C-B735-4994-B093-0E79F77281C7.jpeg
D8DDCA22-5899-4AC8-992F-8BBE1488C2B2.jpeg

Last edited:
I did get the clutch cable put on also I was missing the Ferrell at the engine which didn’t help my dad went up to the shop that has our other two engines and got the one off my engine his didn’t have one installed the guy doing the engine work suspects it’s a Triump cable. I did find some missing parts for this bike looking for a clutch cable and Ferrell. I found the spring dodad for the clutch , rear passenger foot peg mounts , tach and speedometer background lighting sockets so those will get installed soon.Here’s a pic of my clutch cable Ferrell and the new one he bought for this bike and the spring dodad for the clutch cable
7260F698-53D3-4C47-9304-CB275B2C37F9.jpeg

Here’s where I’m at from last weekend I got the new western USA bars installed put the new throttle cables on , plugged the choke cable holes and synced the carbs. The new throttle (emgo with the metal tube) gave me some binding issues so I’m using the original throttle assembly. I wired in the new dipper switch and wired in the gage lights I found a while back. I got the fuel tank cleaned , installed new Triumph fuel valves and installed the tank . I fueled it up and tickled the carbs no leaks so far.

I was planning on running different exhaust pipes but theses are the ones that where installed by my dads friend the other pipes he had did not fit not sure what bike they came from but not this bike . I routed the fuel lines best I could to keep them away from the exhaust. I also made some brackets for the mufflers this week that I will install tomorrow then it’s finally time to start it up and give it a test run. Here’s a few pics of last weekend progress
23F62EF7-2ED4-40DA-A5FA-7CB666F32A51.jpeg
C9AAFE0A-2596-475E-9C92-1B11F448DD28.jpeg

Last Sunday was a good day the bike started up after a few kicks I had to dial in the idle and gave it a few heat cycles. The clutch needed to be adjusted before taking it around the block once my. Dad and I got the clutch happy we put the primary cover back on and put oil in it still no leaks so happy about that.

I just went on a short ride around my neighborhood mostly dirt and a little pavement It seems to shift ok I’m not really use to shifting with my right foot. I received the registration for the authentic license plate Thursday the S.O.S had kicked the paperwork back a few weeks ago but a quick phone call and it was shorted out.

There’s still a few things that need done but I wanted to run it and make sure we had a decent engine. I’m going to take it out for a longer ride hopefully the weather is good this weekend.

I need to add a kill switch to the handlebars, replace the fork seals , probably replace the front wheel bearings with sealed ones already have a few sets , and I just got the new headset roller bearings that replace the old ball and cup bearings.

When I took the bike out the steering felt tight I adjusted the damper once I got home it seems better but I figured might as well do the headset bearing upgrade while I’m doing the fork seals. I started on my fork seals last winter and got side tracked with house project and a free sled. So I’ll get back to my bike for now and come back to this in a few weeks I’d like to have it ready to ride to the battle of the Brit’s bike show in September. Here’s a picture of how it sits now and I’ll try to upload a video of it running they do have a different sound.
2A75CC09-BB59-4686-B151-8E6C564FE0C6.jpeg

Last edited:
I got this bike out last week and put a few more miles on it first thing I noticed was the speedo still didn’t work and this custom seat sends some harmonics straight into your eye balls when it’s wound up definitely a fun time machine.

I went to the auto parts store talked with a guy there that use to have a 60’s triumph said he was looking for another one for backroads and going to town which these bikes are perfect for definitely not a highway cruiser bike.

I headed over to the lake and took a few pics before going back home. Once I got back home I chucked up my cordless dill too the speedo drive cable a verified the gage and cable was good. I shined my light thru the speedo drive on the rear wheel to find it was missing its guts so I need to get one on order also need to see where we are with the original engine that’s being rebuilt hopefully get that back soon.

I still need to add a kill switch on the handlebars and rebuild the forks on this bike I just finished rebuilding the forks on my 66 and installed the new headset bearing races in the frame last night.

Here’s a few pics I took at the lake and a pic that shows the difference from the original seat from my 66 to the custom seat on this bike it’s lacking some cushion.
86A86ECE-6EA7-42DF-903C-6182D9DCBFD6.jpeg
B25956AA-DF01-4D50-AC4C-3BCE370DA1F9.jpeg
5325FDE3-59F0-48D8-B981-F9A57F53B5B0.jpeg

Here's a update on where I'm at with this bike the rear wheel was not centered on this bike when my dad got it back from paint and reassembly. I had looked it over comparing it with how the rear wheel sat in my bike the spacers and parts all seemed to be in order so I loosened and adjusted the rear fender and that helped a little but still not centered like on my bike. I'm in the process of replaced my wheel bearings, rims and spokes on my bike so I decided to fit my rear wheel on his bike and it sits centered all the hardware on both bikes where in the same order.

I have been wondering it the wheel was built up correctly and once I put a straight across the both rear hubs it was confirmed almost 1/4" difference. Then of course why looking closer at the rim the spoke holes and spoke direction didn't seem right I should have took a pic of that but didn't. The guy that laced them did say it was his first time lacing up wheels the more I looked at my rear wheel it was obvious these rims were not the same type rim. There is no part number on either rim just the manufacture I have my front rim and hub apart still waiting on spokes so I laid my front rim from my bike onto my dads rear rim and bingo it's a match which explains the offset issue.

The upside to this is I now have a new front rim for my bike and I just need to order two rear rims for both bikes the spokes should be here next week for both bikes. It's almost comical at this point some of this I should have noticed but being in such a hurry to get his bike together and running a few things got over looked. I went to a bike show swap meet last Sunday I didn't find any rear rims but there was a BSA there with the same pipes as his and I noticed two brackets they had installed so when I got home I went thru the boxes of parts we have I didn't find the brackets but found the rim locks from his original rear rim it's like a scavenger hunt at times.

I started a thread over in the irate motorcycle group with the picture from the bike show last weekend. I'll probably be just collecting parts for the next few weeks for rebuilding the wheels and brakes probably next month. I had a big oak tree cut down and it's already time to pull the water toys and get ready for winter. Oh almost forgot my dad did finally ride the bike labor day weekend I'll post up a pic later he was pretty stoked.
7A37C728-6FAB-4F88-8CD6-2358C9433069.jpeg

Last edited:
Time for a quick update my spokes came in from Buchanan Two front and rear spoke sets. I also picked up two rear 18” rims both are CWC rims and are stainless but the finish on them is different. The rim I got off flee bay has a minor flaw but the finish matches the Wassel front rims I have.

I’m going to use the other rear CWC rim I got from the Bonneville shop on my bike with the Wassel front rim that was on this bike the holes on that one are a little boogerd up from being laced too the rear hub fingers crossed it will lace up ok.

This is my first time building up wheels so probably going to be some trial and errors but will save some money I figure it’s time to learn as I’ve be riding most of my life. I also got the rear hub bearings replaced both brake drum bearings still need replaced it took a while for the bearings to come in l got them locally at Service bearing in
Livonia.

I also picked up the motorcycle wheel balancer from Taiwan Tony’s and a 18” Dunlop rear tire from Rocky Mountain atv. I still need a set of tires for my bike probably get those coming after I finish the rear wheel on this bike.

We also picked up two more BSA’s from a auction last month for parts bikes they are both in better condition than we expected might actually build one up later done the road I may start another thread on that not sure if anyone is really following this one or not being a Brit bike build on a 4x4 forum. Anyhow here’s a few pics of the rims showing the difference in the finishes.

B0B60C48-7F96-416E-BA4F-C40185B20770.jpeg
Been having trouble posting pics lately here goes
37FE5FC3-711F-417B-A107-A1C69F14DF3D.jpeg

Last edited:
Also the hub has a heavy spot I’m going to put the valve stem hole opposite of that spot marked with the green tape
5CCE11B2-743F-44EE-9904-142823DA7363.jpeg

I got the rear wheel for this laced up and been trying to true it there’s the area where the rim is welded together and that’s my problem area don’t think there’s much that can be done there. I’ll lace up the rim for my bike later in the week and see how it compares. Also need to see what the spokes need for final torque.

Here’s a pic of the wheel and the area where it’s welded not sure if it can be made out in the photo.
DDBF6BD8-A59E-43C6-8811-E09456922A5C.jpeg
8D8968E5-20B1-4512-8261-D38271329D27.jpeg

Well I laced up the wheel for my bike and struggled getting it trued I called Detroit Iron Cycles they sell Royal Enfield’s and other unique bikes there mechanic wasn’t in that day but the owner recommended a guy in Waterford and also said call back tomorrow if Mike was unavailable.

I called a spoke with Mike and went to his shop in Waterford it is down the street from Tech Care Suspension funny I’ve never noticed it before but it is a small shop and not on the road front it towards the back of the building. Anyhow he got my wheel trued and called me the next day he said it took longer than expected but stuck with his original quote for a hour of labor.

I decided to have him look at the wheel for my dads bike before I put the tire on. He looked it over tightened few spokes and said it was good also gave me a few pointers on lacing and truing wheels. I had brought the new tires and tubes also the wheel weights and left those there for him to mount I was planning on doing it myself but wanted to throw him some cash for only charging me a hour labor on my bikes rim.

I picked up the wheels the next day and we B.S.’ed for a bit about bikes and he gave a few pointers in wheel balancing. I will be re-spoking this bikes front wheel next weekend with the same Buchanan spokes too match the rear . I still need to replace the rear wheel bearing on the brake drum/sprocket this weekend then mount the rear wheel and start the front end disassembly for fork seal replacement and the headset bearing upgrade to caged roller bearings. I’ll post up some wheel pics later tonight I’ll try a video for now

I believe this is my wheel I checked them both but only videoed one of them

Attachments

• IMG_7017.MOV
    43.9 MB
Here’s a few pics of the rear wheels and the brake drum / sprocket assembly. I will put a new sealed bearing in the drum tonight in the pic you can see the original bearing is not sealed it’s on the bench next to the new one.

I’ll also be replacing the drum shoes as the new ones don’t use rivets to hold the lining on like the old ones. The BSA’s rear hub is splined into the sprocket/ drum assembly it’s kinda different than a typical Japanese bike.

The last picture is a BSA thunderbolt to show how the wheel looks installed. That bike is probably going to loose it’s fenders, center stand and possibly the exhaust for this bike I may use it’s forks and wheels for the firebird I picked up back in September.
528194C1-AC08-4530-9E7D-F6493C0AF1FB.jpeg
22AA033D-DC0A-4DA8-BDD2-38501DB5C0CA.jpeg
2DBC626E-5CBB-46E3-A02D-A76567944FC8.jpeg
B3343AC8-13B6-49EC-A305-36036DB6AC21.jpeg
124706EF-9E11-49C4-86E8-697921E1FDAD.jpeg
8D24F199-0F96-4880-8D62-90B1EBA4178A.jpeg
79B7C6A1-BC49-4C66-840A-D3283DA60C7D.jpeg
C9D13820-958A-42A5-8C6C-14532BD2FEF4.jpeg

Here’s a update I installed the brake drum bearing and cleaned up hardware . There’s a few pieces of the puzzle to make the Quick Disconnect hub to work. It makes for a easy tire change being able to leave the brake and chain alone as they both mount up to the swing arm and are splined into the rear wheel hub. It’s kinda seems like a hassle more parts just complicate things imo but that’s how they built them I think triump and maybe also Norton use this same setup on some bikes.

Here’s a few pics of the parts before assembly I’ll get the rear wheel in this week I still need to clean and lube the chain. Then I’ll start on taking the forks out for new seals , headset bearing upgrade and rebuild the front rim with new spokes and bearings also new brake shoes.

Last edited:
47FAD55E-E9F7-424C-89BF-DA9A732BABF0.jpeg
11085436-F352-4D79-8FEC-46DD0725E067.jpeg
EB9AF29F-8B15-4909-99AA-856F7A52D4D7.jpeg
BDF1A16E-579D-471C-ABB7-F30A7B2590E7.jpeg
79412565-5E21-4EC1-A0EA-35E1A848C7C0.jpeg
9F38A244-7B0E-4650-B591-65CAD3D05EDF.jpeg

The first pics shows the original bearing and dust shield above the bearing I’m using a new sealed bearing I picked up from bearing service in Livonia

Weekend update I put the rear wheel and chain on its a lot happier with the 18” rim with the 19” rim it was really close to the rear fender in the front it’s also more centered since the 19” rim was drilled for a front wheel hub. I also found some 20-50 castrol high zinc oil in Walmart website just a little of $50.00 for two 5qt jugs shipped arrived in two days not a bad deal the local auto parts store carries the valvoline 20-50 high zine at $36.00 a jug so figured I give the castrol a try.

I’ll start on the front end disassembly tomorrow also getting back to my other sled project no snow down state yet but should be coming soon I kinda fell behind on the engine swap for it house crap always getting in the way of the fun projects.
E66676B1-85EB-4509-A541-81AC87FD0140.jpeg
BFE8D326-B512-4C77-962E-0F9D60BA699A.jpeg
D32D5469-3ABF-4AE5-8D64-02EA913C68C7.jpeg
C8655539-7455-4A23-904B-27971A60416A.jpeg

Last edited:
Here’s my update been working on the front end pulled the forks apart new fork bushings arrived this week and I installed the SRM headset bearing kit there a good quality roller bearing with new cups. I have the bars and headset loosely installed.I forgot to get 20w fork oil this week I’ll pick some up next week then reassemble the forks I’ll get them cleaned and prepped this weekend. Here’s a few pics from last weekend
FE11F3FB-26C1-4B10-AE7F-9E58EBF55D71.jpeg
20197E52-150F-4FB5-AFED-0FC81AF371BB.jpeg
D742504C-26EE-4C08-B7B2-306A07596D4C.jpeg
5685217F-9154-4E34-96AC-B9E6853B87E0.jpeg
E0464BB3-ECA2-47D5-B4C4-15E411275F5F.jpeg
84450FD9-0B4B-4F96-8D1F-469D5654DC4B.jpeg

Well the fork oil I ordered still hasn’t arrived so last night when I got home from work peeled the tire off the front rim. It’s about as true as the three wheels I’ve respoked in this BSA adventure.

I brought the wheel into work tonight and cut out the spokes I’ll be using Buchanan stainless spokes in the rim also the hub bearings are pretty rough I have new sealed bearings and new brake shoes to install. These wheels are a little heavy so for shits and giggles I put them in the scale at work we use for shipping and ya the hub is obviously the heavy part.
53277A30-5C5F-45D5-B4DB-C6E712F15AD0.jpeg
A57A6EF5-D40F-40C0-84BE-2569B1225721.jpeg
1849C2EF-B5F7-4C14-BB60-231552A78165.jpeg
2141B88B-0F33-4B91-A017-1882B5FEEE7C.jpeg
2B57A168-03DA-491D-8F19-475F568E85F1.jpeg
9752B153-E863-4873-B315-4A79775BEA11.jpeg

Top Back Refresh