What's new

60x60 Steel Shop

Curbkrawler

Shitbox Connoisseur
Member Number
Loc
SC
Started a thread a couple years ago on Pirate but let my star run out and just didn’t want to give them anymore money. Glad to support this one.

Finished the exterior the fall of 18 and have been tinkering on the inside. Framed up the interior walls with 2x4’s for electrical and putting sawmill boards up for wall covering.

6527BEE8-A47D-4806-A09F-CCE51221EA61.jpeg

6DDF4F19-C927-4A6C-A0D9-382D8A8D3D62.jpeg

786444F0-7A5B-4A67-B73D-BDECE16D7929.jpeg

E7E3E260-42AD-44CD-9F9B-7F62157F2251.jpeg

B1574B26-2B37-4D3D-81CD-687DBAE09473.jpeg

68B6DEE6-5C0F-44CE-8288-98703BB268A4.jpeg

7FD59B63-D0A9-4359-ACB7-22AF4A13823E.jpeg

Nice shop. i dig the Oil co. signage and the pump.

Thank you. Making slow steady progress. I started collecting antiques a few years ago and it has become almost a bigger addiction than cars...

Dad was a career Texaco guy, so I always keep an eye out for the older (green T) stuff. Damn they demand quite a price these days!

I bought the Texaco, Gulf, and the 37 Erie pump at one auction. I paid a pretty penny for it, but got everything for half price. I had the opportunity to get a Sinclair sign, an Amoco sign, and a visible pump but since I told the wife I was “only” buying one sign I didn’t bid and have regretted it ever since...

Yall ever been to the swap meet down at the Pomona fairgeounds ? That is if its still a thing!

Geeze ya think you lined the pockets of the door shop ?

I know or actually knew a guy I went to grammar school with whos father owned a GULF service station.

Bet he has alot of memorabilia from that station.

Last edited:
I had a chance at a sky chief (dad started in AVGAS) sign but passed as i considered it too expensive. looked it up later and just about fainted. turns out $150 was a damn good price.

anyway, carry on. Thanks

I had a chance at a sky chief (dad started in AVGAS) sign but passed as i considered it too expensive. looked it up later and just about fainted. turns out $150 was a damn good price.

anyway, carry on. Thanks

That’s how I felt when I passed up that visible pump...

Yall ever been to the swap meet down at the Pomona fairgeounds ? That is if its still a thing!

Geeze ya think you lined the pockets of the door shop ?

I know or actually knew a guy I went to grammar school with whos father owned a GULF service station.

Bet he has alot of memorabilia from that station.

I’m not allowed at anymore auctions or swap meets unsupervised...

How much $green$ did this cost ?
IE: Building
Pad
Labor

I paid $38.5k for the building. Dug all the footers, formed it up, and did all the rebar/wire myself. Paid about $20kish for concrete, and did all the labor myself with the help of my dad. Haven’t added any receipts up since...

Love the steel panels inside. That's what I'd like to do in my garage.

Love the steel panels inside. That's what I'd like to do in my garage.

That was probably the cheapest and easiest thing I’ve done yet other than having to cut out for receptacles. The interior panels are lighter gauge and were fairly reasonable. I plan to do the rest in sawmill pine. I cut and hauled trees for 3 days up to a buddy’s saw mill. Just waiting for him to finish.

Beautiful Job..

I paid $38.5k for the building. Dug all the footers, formed it up, and did all the rebar/wire myself. Paid about $20kish for concrete, and did all the labor myself with the help of my dad. Haven’t added any receipts up since...

one day I'd like to have a setup like that, nice :smokin:. What's that little loft area for? looks like you can't even stand up on it? Just storage area?

one day I'd like to have a setup like that, nice :smokin:. What's that little loft area for? looks like you can't even stand up on it? Just storage area?

An afterthought storage area... I wanted to enclose that bay for a motorhome (one day) and keep it separate from the shop. You have to hunch over (5’9” max height) but I plan to use it for random stuff I don’t want taking up floor space, spare parts, or random shit.

An afterthought storage area... I wanted to enclose that bay for a motorhome (one day) and keep it separate from the shop. You have to hunch over (5’9” max height) but I plan to use it for random stuff I don’t want taking up floor space, spare parts, or random shit.

right on! Yeah, extra storage never hurts.

I picked up my boards from the saw mill yesterday and got started putting them up on my center wall.

C5CDB398-BD66-42AF-B420-85A8B234E484.jpeg

6046D9CD-5BE7-4956-BF71-3EE18C757EDF.jpeg

9FBAC111-BCC4-4E72-9311-AAF4884FD61C.jpeg

Badass dream build. I'm jealous as hell. :smokin:

Ain't it funny how life works...
working in the driveway- i just want a garage to work in
gets 1 car garage- damn i just want a standard 2 car
gets 2 car garage- this ain't enough, i need a little shop then I'll be happy
builds 20x30, ah life is awesome
This 20x30 sucks, next house will have a REAL shop
builds 30x40, now we're talking!
jeez there's no room, builds lean-to off back, extra carport on side
"honey i know I said this is our final house but what do you think about building in the next 5 years so I can do a 40x60 and maybe we can have a pond for the kids?"

:laughing:

Badass dream build. I'm jealous as hell. :smokin:

Ain't it funny how life works...
working in the driveway- i just want a garage to work in
gets 1 car garage- damn i just want a standard 2 car
gets 2 car garage- this ain't enough, i need a little shop then I'll be happy
builds 20x30, ah life is awesome
This 20x30 sucks, next house will have a REAL shop
builds 30x40, now we're talking!
jeez there's no room, builds lean-to off back, extra carport on side
"honey i know I said this is our final house but what do you think about building in the next 5 years so I can do a 40x60 and maybe we can have a pond for the kids?"

:laughing:

Absolute truth man. The garage at my first house looked like a game of Tetris. No matter how big you build it, you will always find a way of filling it up. I could have built this thing another 100’ and wished I had more space. I have two major regrets: 1) I wish the lean-to was wider
2) I wish my garage doors were wider

Both were just due to inexperience.

Absolute truth man. The garage at my first house looked like a game of Tetris. No matter how big you build it, you will always find a way of filling it up. I could have built this thing another 100’ and wished I had more space. I have two major regrets: 1) I wish the lean-to was wider
2) I wish my garage doors were wider

Both were just due to inexperience.

I moved from a 30x110 to a 30x40. The 30x110 was really a 30x60 shop in the middle, with a big insulated 30x40 barn off one side and a 30x10 lawnmower shed off the other... i had room for daaays and the shop portion almost looked empty. When we moved and I dumped everything in the 30x40 I looked like a fucking hoarder. Still do.

Don't want to complain... i still remember the driveway days and i still remember the 20x20 garage fab. :laughing:

I have a 3 car / truck building now and I'm looking at the OPs pics with watering mouth, I just have no self control constantly bringing home another truck or piece of equipment.

Bad bad bad...

I moved from a 30x110 to a 30x40. The 30x110 was really a 30x60 shop in the middle, with a big insulated 30x40 barn off one side and a 30x10 lawnmower shed off the other... i had room for daaays and the shop portion almost looked empty. When we moved and I dumped everything in the 30x40 I looked like a fucking hoarder. Still do.

Don't want to complain... i still remember the driveway days and i still remember the 20x20 garage fab. :laughing:

I would have had a hard time walking away from the 30x110... I have been blessed to always have access to my dad’s shop when I needed it but it was never mine. First world problems... I told my wife that a shop was one of my requirements on our first date.

I remember pulling a 4 cyl Jeep engine in our apartment complex parking lot in college. Thankfully the apt manager was a patient lady.

I have a 3 car / truck building now and I'm looking at the OPs pics with watering mouth, I just have no self control constantly bringing home another truck or piece of equipment.

Bad bad bad...

Only reason I have it is we saved for the down payment on our current place without using any of the equity in our old house. Once we sold that house I ordered the shop the next month.

Top Back Refresh