What's new

60's vs late model AC condensers(vehicular)

Defecater

Member Number
Bought a 65 Mercury Marauder with a locked up 390 about a month ago. Car has factory air and plan is to make it a Power Tour type cruiser by repowering it with an Explorer 5.0 and 4R70W trans. So while getting the 390 out this morning, I got the crank pulley into the AC condenser. Not bad enough that it ruptured any tubes that I can tell. Looks like I could spend some time straightening fins out, but I am wondering if my time would be better spent hitting the local u pull it yard with a tape measure to find a modern condenser to fit. Going to have custom hoses made anyway to hook system to the Explorer pump. So has time time/technology made modern condensers more efficient than the olld 60's number, or is a condenser just a condenser??

Try to run the explorer cooling stack for a few reasons,
134a compressor, I'm assuming you'll run 134a and want a 134 sized condenser

Run the factory hoses and save cash

The stack is narrow, just a touch too wide for an early bronco, I figure it'll fit nice in that car

post pics:grinpimp:

Also, I screwed around putting one of those engines in a rat rod last year, if yours has the oil cooler, and you decide to eliminate it, you'll need the bung for the block, I should have a part number in my Amazon history
I used the factory motor mounts, which didn't clear the big ford filter, so I used a Toyota filter, sae threads, same o ring, who knew?:laughing:

Also, I screwed around putting one of those engines in a rat rod last year, if yours has the oil cooler, and you decide to eliminate it, you'll need the bung for the block, I should have a part number in my Amazon history
I used the factory motor mounts, which didn't clear the big ford filter, so I used a Toyota filter, sae threads, same o ring, who knew?:laughing:

Common knowledge in the Toyota crowd. :flipoff2:

Top Back Refresh