What's new

6.7 EGT temps

chaplinfj60

Member Number
Loc
marshalltown iowa
Good am,

so i have the EGT probe installed in the block off plate (by # 6 cyl. ) for my EGR delete. i have an alarm set for 1180 and i can hit that pretty easy if i get out sync with hills or lug the engine too much.

i have seen on cummins forums people say 1300-1400 is ok. regen is 1480 then i saw something else keep it below 1380 . what do you guys do. or what has caused you damage?

1722003621938.png

Good am,

so i have the EGT probe installed in the block off plate (by # 6 cyl. ) for my EGR delete. i have an alarm set for 1180 and i can hit that pretty easy if i get out sync with hills or lug the engine too much.

i have seen on cummins forums people say 1300-1400 is ok. regen is 1480 then i saw something else keep it below 1380 . what do you guys do. or what has caused you damage?

1722003621938.png
The thing about high regen temps is there isn't any cylinder pressure, boost etc.

So yeah it's hot but not max load + heat hot

got ya so that makes me want to just stay with my alarm at 1180 and be done
1180 is pretty low for a alarm but it's a setup issue you are comfortable with.
In other words if you like the early warning leave it, up to you.

Pre turbo temps are hott, you are reading the flame front out the exhaust valve.

It was either going into El Paso or leaving El Paso, I was heading over a ridge (so I guess leaving) and sat at 1400 for a bit in the Fummins. Was I worried, yes. Did I die, no. Did I feel a little bad even though it wasnt super got, yes.....all in all it runs a litte rick here in Maine and down there she was running way hotter! I say let her rip :grinpimp:

1200 is fine. i wouldn't want to sustain more that 1500 for any period of time towing but that's me being cautious. when I had a gauge in my last truck I moved the probe from that block off plate to right above the turbo. required some drilling and tapping but I found that the reading was more stable. I could still run it up to 2,000* pretty easy on the kill tune but i never held it at that. as stated above #6 right off the flange is the hottest possible spot. my current truck doesn't even have a probe in the manifold and I dont plan on adding one. I just turn the switch down when i tow anything.

Wanted to mention too, 1400* sustained for a Cummins used to be what everyone said. ~1800* short duration. Back when I had a 525hp at the wheels 24v 5.9L Probably get on nowadays trucks stock.

I searched a bit and seems like lot of over 1200* is bad info so dunno.

My Dodge just has a readout/tuner deal that I mostly got for the gauges. TSP Max? I honestly can't remember.
Did put a Pefal Comadeer, the throttle lag/delay without is infuriating.

Give it throttle and a good second-2 second lag.

I just watched a clip from PPEI Tuning and Kory said to not worry about EGT's because the computers on these newer engines will not let them hurt themselves.

I've seen 900C (1650F) a few times on engines I've since rebuilt (for unrelated reasons, none cummins) and the pistons were fine.

What temp is safe depends entirely on how well placed your probe is. Got a good probe in the centre of the gas stream in the manifold then 750C (1400F) sustained is no problem and even hotter intermittent isn't going to melt pistons.

Got a short probe in a cold location then you can melt pistons without it reading danger. Got a probe post turbo, it's useless.

I set mine to defuel at 1450.

Oddly enough, my temp probe went bad, so I got a new one, both bulldog. The new one reads way higher than the old one. So now I gotta change my default settings to 1600 to compensate. :homer:

Are 6.7 Cummins just good at spitting gaskets out? My buddy has an 08 with a few things done and is always talking about how he needs different gasket because whatever turbo/manifold/? Gasket is spitting out

Top Back Refresh