What's new

5vzfe stalling issue

vegask

Member Number
Ok, I need help. Looking for ideas on what I should check or replace othewise I will just keep throwing money at it.

Several months ago while on a climb at Sand Hollow UT, the 4runner just died right at the top of a climb.
  • Stock tcase: high
  • Crawl box: in low
  • AT trans in "D"
  • Gas tank was 3/4

Video of it happening.

When I got back from the trip, Checked for vac leaks with propane and found nothing. I noticed the filter was full of sand so I replaced the filter, got a new MAF, replaced coil packs and wires for good measure and assumed I was good.

TODAY while leaving the Rubicon, the truck stalled out at least 11 or 12 times on climbs going up Cadillac hill. In all cases I was in:
  • Stock case in low
  • crawl box not engaged
  • 1/2 to 3/4 tank

Seemed to only happen when I was low on the throttle or just letting up on it.

My current plan is to drop the tank and replace the original pump and also replace the filter. The IAC seems to also be something I should look at. My bigger fear is that this is torque converter/transmission related.

Anyways, what do you guys think?

Tank dented to shit? My Tacoma would die on down hills when I had a fucked all to hell gas tank and it was under 1/2 tank
The tank is dented but nothing crazy. Guess dropping the tank just moved up in the repair list.

The tank is dented but nothing crazy. Guess dropping the tank just moved up in the repair list.
My issue was the dent forced the pump bracket to bend up, so in certain situations it would suck air. May not be your issue, but something weird to look for if it's not something obvious.

Last edited:
Does it start right back up after? Any CEL codes stored?

IAC is easy to clean, couldn't hurt.
It would start back up, would take a few more cranks than normal but it would fire up. The steeper I was the harder it was to start. CEL did not come on.

Question about the CEL, would there be codes to check for if the light did not come on?

Distributor? Check your pick up? I had a similar problem, turned out to be moisture and corrosion. Maybe oil getting pushed up?
Doesn’t go along with your dish but fuck it.

While I didn't get any stalling out but driving on the back roads (hills) gave me a weird vibe (felt like hesitation?). Researching led me to think it needed a new OEM TPS. Way much better-

Edit~ I did put in a new fuel filter prior, still "stumbling" somewhat-

Edit 2~ I meant I did the fuel filter first then the TPS, if that makes sense- 😝

Last edited:
Top Back Refresh