What's new

5VZ-FE Possible Head Gasket

yea, I thought that was an odd design choice.

I am sure I'll get the displeasure of finding that out oneday. Since I now have the desire to have a supercharged 3.4L.
20230418_140716.jpg

I'm moving at a snails pace, it's a back burner project. I think the passenger rear cylinder is bad, I would have dumped it and bought another one, but the price is stupid right now.

What are cylinder heads running?

I keep thinking about picking up a spare engine to rebuild. Seems easy enough to find them for under $1k complete. And mileage isn't as much a concern.

I've been chasing a rising temp issue for over a year, I might have found a one off motor for a grand, but ant JDM motor runs $2500-2900, I'm betting on either a bad head gasket or cracked head, Temps have never been over 220, and used to run about 201.

I've opened up three of these in the last two weeks trying to find a good uncracked head. Machinist found a bare casting for 370$. Ive seen them for 500$ on Roackauto and others.

Once I get the heads off what am I looking for?
Trying not to spend money I don't have to.
Or do they need to go to a machine shop.

Head gasket set, oil cooler gaskets and exhaust gaskets ordered, parts on the way.
So far nothing jumps out as obvious, but will clear all the water jackets and start re assembly.
Everything looks the same so no smoking gun at this time.

You should just add one of the magnuson superchargers into the mix. Should help magnify any issues:laughing:

Head gasket set, oil cooler gaskets and exhaust gaskets ordered, parts on the way.
So far nothing jumps out as obvious, but will clear all the water jackets and start re assembly.
Everything looks the same so no smoking gun at this time.
I was going to comment that I didn't see any obvious failure in your pics... but then didn't want to be "that guy" who needs new glasses.

I was going to comment that I didn't see any obvious failure in your pics... but then didn't want to be "that guy" who needs new glasses.
Well, I'm not sure if that's good or bad. I didn't see anything either.

On the passenger side is a water jacket that does not have a pass through in the head gasket and it had some sludge buildup. I'm going to flush the water jackets as best as I can to clear any of that.

Also about 20k ago when I did the timing belt I swapped to universal green coolant, but that was 20k ago. And when I did it i must have done 6 or 7 distilled water flushes over about a month to 100% clear any Toyota red out of it. At that time it got a new radiator water pump thermostat and flush to green.

Also when this latest overheating issue started it got another new water pump and another round of distilled water flushes, so not thinking any of that is related.

But No nothing stood out as a smoking gun I could stick my finger on.

Ok on a little better inspection I think I found something.
Someone confirm center cylinder passenger side it looks like it burnt through
20230525_173640.jpg
20230525_173629.jpg

Yup, I was getting bummed, not finding a clear cause, gaskets should be here Saturday, but I'm slow and working so no telling when I'll finish.

3.4head.jpg
I see 2 suspect areas....the center cylinder was definately blowing combustion pressure past the headgasket, but look at the top chamber as well. Typically I see these crack between and intake and exhaust valve, not between the plug hole and an intake valve, but it's worth looking into. also I'd expect to see some evidence of steam cleaning in that hole if it was a crack, but probably not a bad idea to have it cleaned/crack checked/decked before you put it back on.

Time for straight edge/feeler gagues and the inevitable magnaflux. May as well do both heads.

Passenger side head.
I think I 'm gonna run it.
And take a look at the pitting, A spark plug came apart about a year ago, a couple good revs cleared it up:lmao::lmao:
20230526_115835.jpg
20230526_115830.jpg
20230526_115826.jpg
20230526_115822.jpg

Straight edge and feelers or light. Bet that heads wavy like potato chip.

Ok on a little better inspection I think I found something.
Someone confirm center cylinder passenger side it looks like it burnt through
20230525_173629.jpg
Looks like you found the issue. Well, now that that is solved, Magnuson time?

Not like I enjoy having car problems, but I like to find the “why” to confirm I fixed it. I’m with you on your earlier comments, woulda bothered me not seeing something up.

Looks like you found the issue. Well, now that that is solved, Magnuson time?

Not like I enjoy having car problems, but I like to find the “why” to confirm I fixed it. I’m with you on your earlier comments, woulda bothered me not seeing something up.
this thing just clicked off 300k, i'm not in a big hurry create trouble, the SC can wait for another time:lmao:

and I would have questioned it every time I drove it wondering what I missed. Nice to find something.

How do you feel about bearings and rings at this time?

If the cylinders are nice, maybe just bearings?

How do you feel about bearings and rings at this time?

If the cylinders are nice, maybe just bearings?
Compression was 160 across, and I sent in a Blackstone oil sample that came back with lower than average contaminants.
I think I'm in for head gaskets, sealing up oil leaks, and running it. It's really a spare car, I bought it pre covid and there is no way I can match the price. Otherwise i would have dumped it and looked for a replacement.

Today I got my Machined straight edge and the gasket set is on the bench. so tomorrow I'll check the heads & block and do the last bit of cleaning maybe start assembly.

Both heads look great between the valves, clean and no visible cracks. and it never saw any really high water temps.

Thanks to the Torque app and watching water temps off the OBD2

20230614_104833.jpg

Heads are on and torqued, I really wish you just had a torque value, not 25 ft lbs, then quarter turns.

Cams Tomorrow.

Top Back Refresh