What's new

53' shipping containers gone?

larboc

Limestone cowboy
Member Number
Loc
Da yoop
I've got a project that I'd been planning on using a 53' container for that just got funded last week. Now that I have the money to buy one, they're all gone. Everyone I have called said they have been pulled back overseas, aren't available, not in stock, etc. . What did I miss?

I always thought 53' containers are for domestic use and don't go over seas?

53 ft are pigs only from what I've seen.

AKA intermodal domestic rail / truck only.

They are softsided FRP IE not the corragated steel sides and ends like the 20' - 40' cans.

Last edited:
They are softsided FRP IE not the corragated steel sides and ends like the 20' - 40' cans.
no they aren't
seen the normal corrugated ones
easy to tell from a distance because they got the normal corner mounts at 40' and then another set at 53'

[486 said:
;n190008]
no they aren't
seen the normal corrugated ones
easy to tell from a distance because they got the normal corner mounts at 40' and then another set at 53'

thats correct. the 53's are scabbed on to 40s.

id call your local big rig truck center and ask them what they know.

Couple of the financial sites, Bloomberg, FT and Barrons have all had articles recently on the shortage of 40' international containers. Everyone reduced because Chinese Flu, and they are now finding out they reduced too much, and did not plan for the Xmas shipping rush.

Saw that prices have doubled to insiders, and are up almost triple retail. Such a shortage that Long Beach and Seattle are loading empty containers to ship back to China, something that usually does not make financial sense, but there is such a shortage that they are willing to pay the almost $2K sea freight just to ensure they can get stuff shipped back to the US

https://www.scmp.com/economy/global-economy/article/3105336/global-container-shortage-drives-spike-shipping-rates-brings

fuck
waited too long again
oh well maybe next year I'll find a couple cheap 40s

I was gonna say, I work next to the ports in NJ 6 days a week and I see tons of the 53' cans being driven and on rail cars.

Any input on the aluminum containers? The 53's in that link are fairly reasonably price but I've never seen one and I don't know how strong they are?

Any input on the aluminum containers? The 53's in that link are fairly reasonably price but I've never seen one and I don't know how strong they are?

From the little I know about the steel containers, all the strength is in the corner posts. People were burying them to make bunkers and they will collapse. I’d assume that the aluminum ones can handle several fully loaded steel ones stacked on top of them (loaded on the corner posts), because it would be a lot to ask of a crane operator to make sure than any aluminum container was always the top level.

I have 2 aluminum containers at my house right now. I'd say in no way are they better then steel except for in weight (and I dont consider steel cans to be significantly heavy. They bend/flex/ripple/dent/puncture easier and modifying them isnt as simple as just welding to it. I'm also not sure what the deal is with the roof but the person I got them from said he would wash and seal the roofs every other year to keep them from leaking. I have a 20' steel can that's 20 years old un touched and the roof doesnt leak.

with all that said they arnt fragile but I wouldnt just push it around with the bumper of my truck without expecting damage.

Last edited:
I have 2 aluminum containers at my house right now. I'd say in no way are they better then steel except for in weight (and I dont consider steel cans to be significantly heavy. They bend/flex/ripple/dent/puncture easier and modifying them isnt as simple as just welding to it. I'm also not sure what the deal is with the roof but the person I got them from said he would wash and seal the roofs every other year to keep them from leaking. I have a 20' steel can that's 20 years old un touched and the roof doesnt leak.

with all that said they arnt fragile but I wouldnt just push it around with the bumper of my truck without expecting damage.

Thanks for the insight. I'll be building a wood roof on top of whatever container I go with and I'll need to weld tabs to hold the roof on. I'm guessing that the aluminum ones are built out of as thin of metal as possible and won't be fun or fast to weld to. I think I've tracked down a 53' steel WWT I can get for $7500 delivered so I'll probably go that route.

There are lots of ads for shipping containers on Facebook Marketplace by me in Mid Michigan still. I see 20, 40 and 45' but not any 53'.

I've got a project that I'd been planning on using a 53' container for that just got funded last week. Now that I have the money to buy one, they're all gone. Everyone I have called said they have been pulled back overseas, aren't available, not in stock, etc. . What did I miss?

They're not overseas. The government has secretly snagged all they could get to hold the bodies from all the dead rioters that are going to happen. :flipoff2:

I'm probably going to end up getting a 40' one this year. Like $3500 or something. Just need to clear the area and have some stone dropped.

[486 said:
;n268728]

Woah fuck
I just said no to some $3500 40'ers do you really need the extra 13'?

Yip. MAY have been able to get away with 45 but that isn't much cheaper. The alternative is stick building an 8x8x50 box. The container is still a better deal.

What are you using these for again?

Building a fake "house" with a roof on top of for some PV solar panel testing. Need 42' min. roof line plus spacing to the edges for snow consistency. An NDA covers this project but I'm sure we'll do a publicity thing on it soon and I can add details and pictures. Nothing earth shattering but it is interesting.
The inside will be mostly empty except for a breaker panel, a server, and random storage.

Have you thought about cantilevering some additional roof space off of the ends of the 40 to get the area you need for the panels? You'd also get the bonus of an awning over the door.

Top Back Refresh